[OBSOLETE] Gentle Wake Up

Essentially, that is what the sunrise and sunset roles are doing (direction). They are providing direction as it stands today. You have to put in a time because the app wants to know how long you want to take to get to your desired level. If you want, just use 60 mins. That means the app will drop by 1% every minute.

So… if you want to use the app right now, you have to specific a time later than sunrise and also later than sunset for it to work. This is the problem I have right now. I deeply integrated the app to work with the sunrise and sunset.

I’m still considering changing it to be time based or sunrise/sunset. I have some ideas but I also have to consider how much time this will take to rewrite. I’m trying to think of the best way to do this without rewriting the entire app.

Finally - yes, the app is aware of the current level your at in the house. So it will respect that level and only start from there. Say for example its 7:30pm and you want the lights to go down to 10% by 8:30pm. You current have the lights set to 20% dim. The app will start off at 1% @ 7:30pm and continue to go up from there. It will not change the lights until the app reaches 20% or 7:50. Once it reaches 20% or 7:50 then the lights will continue to dim 1% from there.

At any point, if you change the dimmer level… the app will cancel the dimming feature.

@steve_vlaminck Is there a way with Gentle Wakeup to cancel it once it is running? Say for example the routine starts to kick off but you realize you don’t want the lights on cause you want to sleep in longer? Currently if I turn off the lights they just kick back on and continue running.

Currently, there are only two ways to stop it.

1. If you press the play button on the SmartApp while it’s running, it should stop (let me know if it doesn’t).
  2. If you set Gentle Wake Up to run when entering a mode, there is a setting to stop it when exiting said mode. I, personally, don’t like that setting because I don’t like to change modes.

A while back, I tried to add the feature of stopping it by turning the lights on or off, but the switch typically got a new command from the hub before it would send the event, and wouldn’t end up sending the event at all. Since it didn’t work consistently, I didn’t include it. I haven’t tried since, but I could probably give it another go. It seems to be the number 1 requested feature.

The option to run when entering a specific mode is under the “Rules For Automatically Dimming Your Lights” section. You have it running at a specific time on certain days of the week. When you set “Start when entering this mode”, you will be presented with the option to “Stop when leaving ‘${modeStart}’ mode”.

Hope this helps

@DrHill, can you move your app and conversation about it into another thread, please? Also, you should try to keep massive chunks of code indented so it can be properly formatted with markdown.

Steve - are you aware of the thread here? Gentle Wake up Smart App

Oh, boy, Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Good news! I have a new version of the app working that allows multiple new ways of controlling it, including turning off switches manually. I’m just polishing the layout of settings and the language to describe how everything works. I’ll be testing it thoroughly over the next few days, and will hopefully get it published early next week.

Stay tuned!

4 Likes

Awesome. Looking forward to it.

Great… I always enjoy the updates to this. My wife had me turn it off in our room, but its been very effective in waking up the kids.

I installed Genle Wake Up two weeks ago, and I haven’t gotten it to run yet. It performs the “Completion Actions,” but never actually ramps the primary bulb up. I’ve reconfigured it a dozen times to no avail. The scheduledstart is even listed correctly in the IDE. shrugs
Let us know when the new version goes out, and I’ll see if I have the problem then. I look forward to using it. :slight_smile: Thanks!

@brianjlambert, I have a few questions for you. As long as I’m updating it, I might as well fix some bugs :smile:

When you look at your settings, what does the first page say your dimming settings are? 0% - 99%, current value to 99%, or something else entirely?

How long is your dimming duration?

When the completion executes, is it around the time that dimming is supposed to start or closer to when you’d expect the completion to execute?

What are you trying to dim? A Jasco in-wall switch, a hue bulb, a centralite dimmer, etc.?

Hopefully, I’ll be able to reproduce what you’re seeing. Thanks.

When you look at your settings, what does the first page say your dimming settings are? 0% - 99%, current value to 99%, or something else entirely?

How long is your dimming duration?

“All dimmers will dim for 30 minutes from Current Level to 99%”

When the completion executes, is it around the time that dimming is supposed to start or closer to when you’d expect the completion to execute?

I actually don’t know this answer. I disabled the completion action several days ago as part of my tweaking the settings and I forgot to look. I just know the completion light was on. I couldn’t find the answer in the logs (it does a health check a several times an hour which makes the log very long).

What are you trying to dim? A Jasco in-wall switch, a hue bulb, a centralite dimmer, etc.?

OSRAM LIGHTIFY LED Tunable White 60W bulb

Hopefully, I’ll be able to reproduce what you’re seeing. Thanks.

No, thank you :slight_smile:

Try changing your option to 0% to 99% instead of current value to 99%. If the bulb was at 99% when it was turned off last, then the bulb might still think its level is 99%, so it just comes on.

And in particular, the Osram bulbs had a firmware issue where they would forget their current level when turned off (unless you updated it via the Lightify gateway) that could be causing issues.

Which is exactly why I asked that question :wink:

There’s a weird bug where setting 0 sometimes turns into current value because 0 equates to false somewhere along the line. It doesn’t happen every time, but I’ll make sure I figure that out.

1 Like

Thanks. I changed it to 1. So i’ll see how that works.

Update: It appears to be working now when I press the start button (which it never did before). So, changing it from 0 to 1 was the key (and the bug).

Thanks!

Sweet! I’ll definitely fix that bug, and maybe I’ll add a paragraph element explaining the pitfalls of using current value.

Thanks @Sticks18 for your help.

Thanks Steve - I’m looking forward to seeing how this works when you are done.

In the meantime - re previous discussions with @DrHill - I’ve manage to get this working exactly as required using rule machine

Ok. So, one last issue, which may be unrelated to the actual app code. The App triggered exactly on time this morning (7:15 AM) Yay! :grin:, but it only ramped up to 17% before stopping. :disappointed:

According to the IDE, the next increment was scheduled at 7:21:16 AM CST, but never fired. :unamused:

This is probably due to the ongoing bugs where scheduled actions fail to perform, but I figured I’d let you know in case it was something that can be fixed. Thanks.