Generic Camera Device using local connection (new version now available)

Yes, ST broke it. Can’t seem to fix it. I did rewrite the code and got it working, but don’t really want to release it since the old code worked just fine.

It’s really stupid, but it maybe a documentation / platform / no one bothered to test it cause localhub actions aren’t really supported kind of thing…

2 steps back, 1 step eventually forward… Maybe.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the work on this Patrick! I am however running into a bug where I can get one of my cameras to work perfectly, but my second dlink 930L just hangs when I press the “Take” button.

I’ve confirmed that I have the correct IP address and everything else is duplicate of the working camera. I can also access the static image of the problem camera in my local web browser. So do you have any ideas what could be causing this?

I’d really appreciate it and thanks again for the work on this device type!

@pstuart - Am I to understand that this app is currently broken? Mine has stopped working, and I’m not going to bother troubleshooting it if it’s a known issue.

I assume so still. Haven’t checked in awhile if its still broken.

Your earlier post suggests that you might know of a workaround. Would you be willing to share it?

Unfortunately, no, its a sloppy hack that could break anytime. ST has way too many “priorities” and not enough developers to take the time out of their schedules to figure out what they broke for many users of cameras.

It has been a month and a half since they broke the s3 parsing code of the platform and can’t take the time it would take to revert their code to fix this.

Even if I released my workaround, I suspect they will break that as well.

I’m not happy about it, but that is my perspective. I’ve pushed every button, @ben, @april, @Tyler etc I can to try to get this fixed and today was the last straw when I get an email from support saying they don’t have the resources to look into it let alone fix it until Q3. WTF?

Sorry guys, I think this devicetype has been unofficially killed until further notice.

1 Like

Well, a magical benifactor (support) fired up some devs and it appears to once again be working.

I haven’t heard anything officially but all my cameras are back. Please let me know if it is working for you.

1 Like

Still can’t view images from the Android app but it works from the IOS app which is good enough. Thanks for your continued work on this @pstuart! Your efforts here make my house work better and I really appreciate it.

Which android version? If you don’t mind, try force quiting the app and relaunching it see if cameras work again on android. Sometimes the image carousel glitches.

Hopefully it will get better soon.

What camera BTW?

Restarting the app on my Nexus 5 phone doesn’t make any difference (carousel just displays the SmartThings logo), but trying it on my Nexus 7 tablet works as expected. Both are running 5.1.

The camera is a Sharx Security SCNC2900W.

Still not working for me on Android 1.7.2 / Samsung Galaxy S5 (5.0). Logs show everything working and image is being uploaded to S3.

I have heard from support that the 3s has been fixed. There is a bug with Android 1.7.2 with the image Carousel.

Hopefully this will be fixed shortly, if not, I’ll try to update the code for a workaround.

I was excited to see a new Android release this evening, but unfortunately it didn’t seem to fix the camera support :frowning:. Can you share the workaround?

For those still having issues, please upgrade to the latest android 1.7.3 just released:

and let me know if it isn’t working still. Mine started working with this release. Plus the images are now in the correct order.

If you are still having issues, please let me know make and model of your android device (os as well) and make and model of your camera and path you are using to image and if its post or get and if it requires auth or not.

Thanks for your patience… ST thanks for getting this fixed

My setup works fine on my wife’s iPad, and always has. It still does not work with the latest 1.7.3 version on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 on Android 5.0, or my wife’s S4 that was just upgraded to 5.0.1 this week. So it does not look as if the carousel issues are fixed for all platforms. Since the images show on IOS, I take that as to mean that the device type code works fine, and the images show up where they should. I can’t see how the device code can “fix” the Android issue, unless it has to do with the naming of the image. Please correct me if I misunderstand something.

FWIW, I use a derivation of what I assume is the original IP device type that uses digest auth with a GET.

I tried Android 1.7.4 that was released in the last day or so, but still no joy on my S5/Lollipop :frowning:

Logs from an attempt:

12:31:08 PM: debug Storing smartthings-device-conn-temp, 440b163d-f003-456d-85a2-b002232809ac
12:31:08 PM: debug Uploading the picture to amazon S3
12:31:08 PM: debug Parsing output: 'index:01, mac:0016…2, ip:C…, port:0050, bucket:smartthings-device-conn-temp, key:440b163d-f003-456d-85a2-b002232809ac’
12:31:04 PM: debug Response: 44059a13…8 ===== org:ce…75:8548f8…d:64:da0ad139:auth:9dd…47707c9
12:31:04 PM: debug HA2: 9dd3…9 ===== org:GET:/cgi-bin/video.cgi?msubmenu=jpg&resolution=2
12:31:04 PM: debug HA1: cef5…75 ===== org:admin:iPolis:xxxxxx
12:31:04 PM: debug state: [nc:63, auth:[realm:iPolis, nonce:8548…d, qop:auth]]
12:31:04 PM: debug The device id configured is: c…
12:31:04 PM: debug IP address entered is 192… and the converted hex code is …

@Dan999 What brand name camera are you using? Foscam etc. I have an S5 and no problems.

I have a couple of Samsung cameras. What device type code are you using for your Foscam?

I had an older Android phone that I used to use as an IP camera, and it worked better - pictures would show in the carousel but not without a refresh. That camera device type did not use the local connection, which is what I use for the Samsung IP cameras.

As mentioned earlier, things work fine on the wife’s iPad. I don’t what other conclusion to draw other than the issue is with the Android app.

Finally success! I spent another couple hours messing with this over the weekend and it started working when I changed the picture name. I noticed the function that was used, makes the picture name by combining the DNI with a UID. The DNI has a ‘:’ in the name. I took out the DNI from the picture name and the pictures started showing up in my Android app carousel. Go figure.

Good catch. I’ll update my github with this fix. For some reason my code on my server already had this, but apparently never made it to the github.