Generic Camera Device using local connection (new version now available)

So essentially we’ve lost all third party camera integrations without a notice. Nicely done, SmartThings! :cry:

3 Likes

Oh man this is so sad! Im actually so disappointed as Ive been working on getting it linked with my doorbell and loved showing friends this particular feature over most others!! Thank you Patrick for trying so hard and fixing it 5 times!

From what Ive seen (as a new ST user) they don’t tend to give out any information, so is it worth making a big stink about it somewhere on the forum?!

1 Like

There was an announcement today, but they’ve said it was done because of the security vulnerability, so they aren’t likely to change it back. They may offer an alternative work around, but then that would mean more work for the community developers.

1 Like

So fricken annoyed by this, huge reduction in functionality with 3 camera capture functions offline now

So sad to see this hidden functionality go away. WTF ST you used to be so good to the hacking / open source community in adding functionality to your system. If this is going to go away please provide actual 3rd party IP camera support!

I worked so hard to get my IP cam to take picture when doorbell rang… Literally took months and I had to order new cams… Now it breaks!!

I can’t believe this.

Is there any cam out there I can get to do this now?

1 Like

Stay tuned. Might be a new method in a week or so. Will release a v3 of this is so.

4 Likes

Alright I’ll hold tight for now… I sure hope it gets worked out.

So there is no way to add these now? I was using these to take snapshots when a motion detection. Is there any other way to get that same behavior?

Do i have any work around to try and get snapshots from my Foscams when a motion detection goes off at all?

Or am I just screwed until ST does something about this?

Screwed… I will not write anything that supports port forwarding or exposes cameras to the internet intentionally.

Hopefully in a week or so, we may have a new way to locally get an image, but I’m not holding my breath.

1 Like

Well, I would hate to see this go away but we can all understand the frustration you must have when you write something and it works just for someone else to destroy. Will follow for awhile to see what happens but as you said, not hold my breath. Thanks for you hard work by the way!

1 Like

Looks like there is a new method that can be used for storing the images as described here: Removal of Undocumented Device Type Data Storage Option - 1/19/2017

I tried it out on my Panasonic IP cameras and I can retrieve the still images again. In the parse method, simply replace

if (descMap["bucket"] && descMap["key"]) {
	putImageInS3(descMap)
} 

with

if (descMap["key"]) {
	storeTemporaryImage(descMap["key"], getPictureName())
}
2 Likes

I will try this, travelling right now, so can’t really test it.

If anyone wants to submit a PR against my version, feel free in the mean time https://github.com/pstuart/smartthings-ps/blob/master/devicetypes/pstuart/generic-camera.src/generic-camera.groovy

So I gave that a try and works!! Thanks for that.

Done. Can’t say I tested it extensively.

1 Like

Top man! Tested on my Foscam and all working again… you sir-are a gent! :grinning:

1 Like

merged PR, tested and seems to work

3 Likes

There is another ST API change, that needs a litte change in your code:

OLD:
if (descMap[“key”]) {
storeTemporaryImage(descMap[“key”], getPictureName())
}

NEW:
//Image
if (descMap[“tempImageKey”]) {
storeTemporaryImage(descMap[“tempImageKey”], getPictureName())
}

Original Post: Removal of Undocumented Device Type Data Storage Option - 1/19/2017

merged, thanks!