SmartThings Community

General DTH Question - Device-level behaviors

@krlaframboise @JDRoberts Hi. I’ve got a general Custom DTH question that is driven by my experience today with Kevin’s Aeotec NanoMote scene controller.

Must all devices using a custom DTH have exactly the same behavior? For example, if I apply a custom DTH to a device type (say, a button controller) and then specify Button #1 does X and Button #2 does Y, then will every device using that DTH have the exact same behavior for Button 1 and Button 2?

Or can I use the DTH and then specify different behaviors/actions on different physical devices?
• Device 1 - Button #1 does X and Button #2 does Y
• Device 2 - Button #2 does A and Button #2 does B

I want to be able to have different behaviors at the physical device level. Does that require using DTH #1 for Device 1 and a cloned DTH #2 for Device 2?

Thanks. I hope that is clear.

0 Likes

(Kevin) #2

All that the DTH does is create events for physical actions.

What “Button #1 does and Button #2 does” should be determined by a SmartApp, not the handler.

2 Likes

(Dave Gutheinz) #3

The commonality definition and requirements are defined in the Capability Definitions (available on the web). These drive common behavior in DHs/Devices at the command and attribute level. For example, volume is defined as 0 to 100. My devices are 0 to 30 or 0 to 60. So my DH has to modify the scale on input from the interface/rule applications and on the reported attributes.

There are no other definitions to drive commonality between handlers.

1 Like

That’s what I thought, too, but the experience yesterday doesn’t follow that. The brand new Device #2 started up with the same button configuration as the already-configured Button #1.

0 Likes

Thanks. So why does the brand new Device #2 start up with the same configuration for Button #1 that was specified on the previous Device #1?

0 Likes

Thanks, Dave. So, if I do not want common behavior between devices, then it sounds like I need to create a unique derivative DTH for each device I want to have different behavior. Is that correct?

0 Likes

(Dave Gutheinz) #7

If you want a different behavior than the default for a device, there are two options:

a. Use the device preferences to identify that the particular device needs a different behavior, then adjust the code to accommodate,
b. Write a separate, independent device handler.

Example: Volume (normal behavior is 0 to 100. You can define in preferences the devices explicit scale (i.e., 0 to 60 or 0 to 80) and then

• in the method level, calculate the value you want sent to the device
  • in the parse method, reverse the value so the level you report back to external apps is consistent.

Not sure if this is where you are going

0 Likes

The behavior features in the DTH are good as written by Kevin. I just need to have different buttons do different things on different devices using the same DTH.

I learned today that you can install the same SmartApp multiple times and assign each installed app to a different physical device. I did that with with my three different Aeotec NanoMotes and it worked perfectly.

I didn’t know you could install a SmartApp more than once and that was the solution to this problem.

2 Likes