Gear S2 app

If only Samsung would stop tizen us and just let us wear droid wear.
(currently wearing the awesome LG Urbane)

I like how the Tyler guy just vanished. LOL What a joke

Agreed, hate to say it. The lack of any update even ā€œits not happeningā€ is really pretty poor given the updates given further up this thread. Even if they were given in good faith.

@Tyler I have no hope of you doing so (or perhaps being allowed to do so), but any update for the poor folks waiting on this?

Thatā€™s Samsung way of supporting the community and its costumers.

I decided to avoid Samsung products whenever thereā€™s a reasonable
alternative. Unfortunately smart things is not one of them. So Iā€™ll keep it
for a while, at least its not exploding yet.

Rafael Borja
rafaelborja@gmail.com

Yes, they have an obligation to keep us informed and they are not. The Smartthings app was part of their marketing campaign for the S2. Nothing like false advertising Samsung!

According to the trades, Samsung has been divesting a lot of non-core business lately (chemical, print, cameras) so I question STs future. The general IoT strategy has been fumbled by Samsung. Add to that a nonsensical marketing/go to market campaign and odd channel management (Currys exclusive) of ST in the UK and things arenā€™t looking great. Could explain the silence and lack of apparent activity.

If SmartThings doesnā€™t have a presence at CES in January it might be game over.

1 Like

It would have been a small effort to update the Gear S app for compatibility with the S2. Donā€™t add anything new, just make it compatible with the round screen.

Then again, if they update the app for S3 compatibility, in theory it should just work on the S2ā€¦ So for now I STILL have hope that the app will show up one dayā€¦ If only a year lateā€¦

Is this thing STILL not out? WTF, screw you ST, screw you.

There are messages in this thread from April from that Tyler guy (yea, he disappeared) that, from what I could tell, was working closely with the app development team and he posted in April something about being ā€œreally close now. Release still aiming for end of April!..ā€

Fast forward to now. No app. Smh

Yeah, no one wants to offer anything up. Given the updates the guys are doing on hub updates and things like that I can only presume @Tyler, @slagle and others have specifically told not to say anything on here.

There is no reason otherwise to stay silent and give no updates.

It really is pretty poor of Samsung and really puts me off getting an S3. I was waiting for this app to get an S2 originally!

To be honest guys, just close this topic if you are never going to give an update - itā€™s the only reason the topic exists.

just hold tight bro, s2 app and bluetooth enabled any day now, lmao :joy:

I think this is vaporware. Just a bunch of smoke to buy more Samsung products.

Iā€™m working on something for Tizen right now since I play on my S3 more than my phone lately.

Hopefully I can get them to make it official, otherwise not all the functions will work.

@Tyler Maybe you could use a hand or lend a hand?

I have the S3 Frontier on back order, and would love to see an app for that some day.

@Crussell Do you think it will be compatible with my Gear S2? This app was something that Samsung promised. Or has that ship sailed and I should get the Gear S3?

I will try to make it compatible, my daughter took mine in July when I got my frontier. If not I will see if I can come up with something or maybe someone will let me finish what they started.

It would at least be nice if someone from ST gave an update on this, rather than going radio silent.

If itā€™s dead then tell us, and allow us to make purchasing decisions based on the facts.

Howā€™s the Tizen something you mentioned coming along? Got the S3 and SmartThings is noticeably missing, which is a disappointment for sure.

SmartThings

With the SmartThings app for Gear S2 you will be able to use your smartwatch to activate preset lighting so your house is ready for your return, as well as manage a host of smart home automations. It hasnā€™t arrived on Samsungā€™s store yet, but it will work with Samsungā€™s SmartThings kit.

Remember this thats why I bought g s2 not for the pretty faces!

1 Like

Iā€™m waiting to hear back about it myselfā€¦