GE Z-wave Dimmer Module Showing Offline in Alexa

Just connected my first device (GE lamp dimmer) and am experiencing the intermittent Alexa issue. As others have mentioned, accessing the dimmer thru the SmartThings app causes it to work thru Alexa for a while but eventually, the Alexa network error reoccurs. Being new to SmartThings, is this a recent anomaly that’s likely to get quickly fixed or is the SmartThings / Alexa integration inherently flaky?

Since integrating ST and Alexa about a year ago, this is the first time there’s been a problem stemming from the Alexa end. Usually any minor outage or device issues are with ST but they tend to be resolved fairly quickly.

1 Like

And continues to be a problem for me this morning.

Frustrating as I’m in the process of installing many of these devices.

has anyone at ST or Amazon acknowledge this problem? It seems like this needs to be escalated, I’m having the same problem, I have 95% GE switches.

No acknowledgement as far as I know but I have not had issues for about 5 hours. Not sure if something changed. @Aaron @slagle @tyler

We are looking at an edge cases where Alexa is reporting some power outlets are reporting offline, but I have not heard anything about the switches. Quick poll to confirm (yes - I am aware of the thread subject):

• My GE switch is Z-Wave plug in outlet
  • My GE switch is Zigbee plug in outlet
  • My GE switch is Z-Wave in wall switch
  • My GE switch is Zigbee in wall switch

0 voters

3 Likes

Thanks for your quick response.

I didn’t do anything but I did quick check a few minutes ago and all of my switches are now back online on the alexa app.

1 Like

I did get a reply from Amazon, but it was generic and not useful really… However, the next morning it was all working again without any changes by me at all, so at least the issue that made me respond to the thread seems resolved.

I don’t know if it was Amazon or ST API though that was the “root” failure…

@Aaron - It seems to be fine (as of the next morning) got better over that night. I changed nothing, so it was either Alexa or perhaps ST API (not sure which to be honest). Amazon sent me a reply, but it was a generic “troubleshooting” one of low value (how do I power down my in wall switches and disconnect them, afterall?).

Good news is all seems better now at least in my case with Z-Wave GE Switches/Dimmers/and Fan Modules.

Same here, all fine now, happy to say.
Picked the wrong day for my first ST device.

So Alexa has been working beautifully the last couple of days.

I don’t know who, if either company, sent down an update. But this problem seems to be fixed — at least for me.

The Echo integration with Harmony also seems to be improved.

It used to be that when I asked Alexa to turn on the TV, she would turn it on but then tell me the device is not responding (clearly a lie, Alexa). Now she tells me “OK” immediately after my command and the TV turns on as it should!

1 Like

Same here. Fingers crossed.

Wow, just tested out one of my Harmony activities and NO “That command doesn’t work”! Perhaps ST made some adjustments to “time outs” which I think had something to do with the ST/Harmony/Alexa situation.

1 Like

Am having the same problem with a GE Zwave wall dimmer. Turn on lights at 5:30pm and off at 12:30am. Was working with both Echo and Automation, degraded to be inconsistent [on but not off even with the log showing a ST trigger event]. Now Echo shows off-line - sees/lists but cant contact. ST sees and shows normal but cannot turn or off.
Suggestions?
thanks.

Try going into the ST IDE for the device, change the device type, save it and then change it back and save it. Worked for me