GE Link Bulbs Turn Themselves On/Off

So I moved two of my GE Link Bulbs into my bathroom with the intention of having them turn on/off with a soon to be delivered motion detector. They are controlled by a Lutron Dimmer (not three way) and when I set them at 50% or so (anything other than 100%) and turn them off using a switch from Lights & Switches at some point in the next 5 minutes they turn back on. This behavior was not observed in their last position in a lamp without a dimmer.

Is this due to the physical switch’s dimming capabilities? I’m guessing I need a LED specific dimming switch…

Yep, I bet the GE link bulbs are having trouble determining if the low current is power on/off. And is turning themselves on agai when it things it has gotten power again.

Why do you have need a dimmer switch and a dimming smart bulb on the same circuit anyways?

Well, because the other night my wife remarked, “You know, it would be nice if the lights in the bathroom turned on when you went in there”. I immediately took that to mean I could obtain another motion detector and door sensor (not sure which application will be best) and I thought I’d put them in the light fixture on the ceiling.

So I opened that up today while I’m waiting for the Amazon Prime delivery, and found that the lights are candelabra bases. That left just the vanity lights, which are on a dimmer.

Now I’m trying to decide between ordering an Aeon Micro Controller and installing it behind the ceiling fixture or vanity lights or changing the vanity switch to a simple on/off and leaving the GE’s in the vanity fixtures controllable by the ST app.

1 Like