GE Launches Seriously Cheap Wink Connected Bulb

Cool. idc how STs sees them as long as it can turn them on and off :wink:

BTW, these are surprisingly well made given the $15 price point. While not quite up to the Hues, pretty close, and with a similar two year warranty.

The LED array is interesting in that it throws similar amounts of light to the sides as upward, making them ideal for the glass ringed pendants I have. Hues worked in the small ones just fine, but did not edge light the rings on the larger ones as the bulbs were more deeply recessed.

I wonā€™t know until tonight just how attractive their light is. They do not employ any kind of diffuser like the Hues, but do look awfully incandescent like. I installed 4 over kitchen counters, and plan to put the other two in outdoor lanterns as soon as it cools off a little. But so far Iā€™m impressed.

1 Like

The price of a ā€œdumbā€ dimmable LED bulb have dropped below $5. Got one at IKEA recently for $4.49. So extra $10 bucks for a Zigbee radio seems fair to me. I think Iā€™m on target with my prediction that ā€œdumbā€ LED bulb will cost $2-3 within a couple of years.

Odd, mine finally showed up in the Hue bridge in ST. All set now. Seems to be working fine. I have TCP, Hues and these now, and the GE seems a little tougher to look at without the diffuser. It works though, and for $15, thatā€™s not bad.

Can we confirm if it requires a hue hub or will it connect to ST directly without a hue hub?

Currently, it requires a Hue bridge.

Home depot shows bulbs in stock at my store, but I couldnā€™t locate them in the store yetā€¦

I found them on the Wink endcap, but still boxed up behind all the Wink-branded stuff, completely hidden.

I bought a few - and the bulb detects as a Outlet. I was able to go into ā€œMy Devicesā€ in the dev tools and change it. Is HUE BULB the best device type for now?

Tony, do you have a Hue bridge or did the GE bulbs connect straight to the ST hub?

Thanks

Well, as an update to my last message, I had to change the device back to what it was detected as, which is a SmartPower Outlet (I really do not understand why it detected this way).

That said, the hub it is connected to is the ST hub. In fact, I can NOT get these bulbs to pair with the Hue Hub at all. There seems to be some straight up confusion about this. I bought 4 and they all detected as the SmartPower Outlet - only supporting ON/OFF. Iā€™m going to poke around a bit more with it but at least it works as it is detected - Just no dimming (yet).

1 Like

Very odd that most of us have them connected to the Hue and had no success getting connected directly to ST and you had the opposite experience!

How far is the GE bulb away from the Hue Hub when performing the initial discovery? If itā€™s more than a few feet, I would suggest grabbing a small table lamp and plugging it in next to your hub and use that to enroll each bulb. You could then move them to their permanent place.

Jay - The first one was about 10 feet away, maybe 12. I have two more still in the box, Iā€™ll try your suggestion tonight and report back. Remember, I reported my bulbs detected in ST as a ā€œSmartPower Outletā€. If a screen shot of anything in the Dev control panel would be helpful, let me know.

@urman any tips here?

Hi All,

Just picked up three of these at my local Home Depot. Looks like most stores only got five, so check online before you head over!

As far as connecting with the ST Hub, mine paired flawlessly. I powered up, hit the plus sign in the ā€œThingsā€ category, and I was done. I noticed that the bulb did flash once or twice before it connected and registered as a SmartPower Outlet.

I donā€™t know if it makes a difference, but I am on Hub FW 000.011.00705.

Also, playing around in IDE, I can also confirm that dimming works out of the box. I tried both the Sylvania iQ bulb and Zigbee Dimmer devices types and had success with both. I might suggest the Zigbee Dimmer type as the dimmer is about three times as large as the one for the Sylvania device type. Much more fine-grain dimming control.

Good Luck Everyone!

I can also confirm that they work perfectly right out of the box. I am on the most recent hub firmware and all I did was screw it in, hit the + to add a device and it connected in about 2 seconds and works flawlessly!

I can also confirm that they work, but when I used the dimmer such as the Zigbee dimmer type my GE light blink all the time and same is true for the Sylvania device type.

1 Like

I canā€™t get dimming to work with the few that I set up today. They connected just fine as Smart Power Outlets, but when I change them to the Zigbee Dimmer type, I lose all functionality. The one difference Iā€™ve noticed is that my Hub is running firmware 000.011.00603, not 000.011.00705 like dcoult. Is there a way to force an update? My hub says its up to date.

@davidjohnson

Email support and they will load the new firmware on your hub.

Jay - The two bulbs that I had not paired with any hubs paired with the HUE hub and works flawlessly just by moving the bulbs closer to the hub.

The two bulbs I paired with the ST hub wonā€™t now pair with the HUE hub.

Iā€™m beginning to suspect that once a device pairs, there is something more you must do before pairing it with another hub. I need to figure that out! Any suggestions anyone would have is gratefully appreciated.