GE Jasco Z-wave Smart Remotes (CES 2017)

Gah! Wonder what the hold up is? Waiting until the new line of switches come out?

1 Like

Getting close?

https://www.aartech.ca/product/00/37792/Jasco-ZWave-Plus-Hub-Controller-Remote-2-Button

1 Like

The suspense is killing me. So far nothing, but Iā€™m going to give them another week at the most. If they donā€™t deliver, then I am finally going to throw in the towel and go Hubitat / Lutron Pro bridge so that I can use Pico remotes instead.

1 Like

Why not use the Eria Switch: (Itā€™s Zigbee):

Pico Remotes on Hubitat are amazing! And now that Lutron has bumped the max devices from 50 to 75 on the SmartBridge Proā€¦ :wink: What amazes me since switching to Lutron Clear Connect for all of my switches, dimmers, and fan controllers is just how they always work. Theyā€™ve never failed me thus far. I ripped out a bunch of old GE/Jasco Z-Wave (not plus) devices and I have never been happier. Those devices used to fall off the mesh from time to time, and I always had to re-pair them.

The Dark Side awaits you!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Yes thatā€™s a good zigbee option. Hereā€™s a video of the install if you guys find it useful
:blush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42MixGzfgqQ

3 Likes

Well, just ordered 4 as well as a Hubitat so that I can have them execute local. I have a bigger zwave mesh, so was waiting for the Jasco, but looks like itā€™s time to expand the ZigBee mesh.

1 Like

So, I missed the part where the Eria switches donā€™t work directly with SmartThings and I have to go via a Hue hub first, which I found out after trying to pair my first Eria switch. I did grab a Hubitat too, so before I do anything else, I am going to try and pair it to that and see what the experience is like.

Now that July is almost over, is there any update on the Jasco switches? I still feel like those are the best option for my needs.

If you go to Hubitat, the Lutron Picos will probably be your best bet. They work great on that platform. ( youā€™ll need a SmartBridge pro for integration, but everything will be local, not cloud to cloud like the SmartThings integration.)

There are multiple Forms available, including a 2 button, a four button, and a dimmer style, and come in white, ivory, or black. And you can get custom engraving from some dealers.

But talk to the folks in the Hubitat community, they can tell you whatever you want to know about that option. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Eria uses standard zigbee, so they should work, but may require a manual change in device handler or maybe even a custom one. What did they pair as?

Thatā€™s just it, they arenā€™t paring. Iā€™ve tried just about every combo of button presses / lengths possible, but none of them register to SmartThings ā€¦ nor can I seem to get them to register in Hubitat either. That may be an indication that I am doing something wrong, so Iā€™m not throwing in the towel yet, but Iā€™m close. If I could at least get it to show up as a Thing that would be me hope, but right now Iā€™ve got nothing.

yeah, sounds like it isnā€™t going into pairing mode? itā€™s zigbee 3.0, so at the minimum it should pair as a thing

From the Hubitat Documentationā€¦

1 Like

Canā€™t say about Hubitat, but with SmartThings itā€™s probably a channel issue. Go to the IDE and see what Zigbee channel you are on.

Also, which model hub are you using?

An update ā€¦

No luck at all with ST, but got it paired as a button controller with Hubitat. Looks like Iā€™ll be able to make them work with what I need to do. Thanks all for the advice!

3 Likes

Got samples today. Anyone want to help me writing a device type handler? Or know if one may exist?

Logan

2 Likes

Model numbers?

Assuming itā€™s this one, 34172:

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/regions/2/categories/18/products?company=356

Although they call it a ā€œscene controllerā€ it is not using either of the 2 z wave command sets, local scenes or central scenes. Itā€™s just using association.

So it should be very similar to a minimote, but with a different number of buttons.

( if itā€™s a different model number, it could have completely different firmware even if it uses the same case, so thatā€™s just something to be aware of.)

BTW, The reason they can say ā€œwithout a hubā€œ on the box is because, again just like a minimote, this device can act as a controller on its own if you donā€™t have another hub. If you do have another hub, it becomes a secondary controller.

Cool. So these will be out for sale, soon. Been waiting a while, hope it was worth the wait.

Iā€™ll be honest, I am disappointed that they rely on Z wave direct association rather than central scenes. You should end up being able to do the same thing, but the setup will be much more complicated and may confuse people.