GE Jasco 12723/12724 4-way switch (April 2017)

(Androclese) #1

Hi! I know this topic has been posted on a few times in the past, I have read through them all, and while they gave me great insight into debugging my situation, none of them match what i ahve. So here is another “GE Jasco 12723/12724 4-way” post.

Like most everybody else, I have successfully installed 3-way switched without issue, so I do understand the basics of the T1 & T2 wires, the need for the neutral, etc.

I live in Illinois, so code out here is conduit, no naked romex. That means we do not have ground wires in our bundles.

In my situation, I have the following

Box 1: 1-Gang box

• Black Wire (assuming line)
  • Brown Wire (T1)
  • Brown Wire (T2)
  • Note: There are no other wires, not even a neutral. It is just those three.

Box 2: 2-gang box

• Four (4) brown wires, each paired as T1 and T2
    - Just based on their position on the switch, I know which is which.
  • Neutral is available here from the other switch in the box

Box 3: 2-gang box

• Two (2) Brown wires, T1 and T2
  • Orange wire, I am assuming this is the load wire to the light
  • Neutral is available
  • Blue and Brown wires connected to the other switch in the box

Based on reading previous posts, I believe I knew how to wire boxes 2 and 3.

Box 2:

• Cap both T1 wires together
  • Wire T2 into the switch on the traveler post
  • Connect the included short-wire between the neutral post and the neutral bundle

Box 3:

• Cap T1 and the load (orange wire) together
  • Wire T2 into the switch on the traveler post
  • Connect the included short-wire between the neutral post and the neutral bundle

Box 1 is where I run into problems. Without a neutral wire, I don’t see how this can work.

I did read one post where it spoke about turning one of the traveler wires into an ad hoc neutral by connecting it to neutral in one of the other boxes, but I do not see that helping here.

Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated!

(Androclese) #2

Closing out my own topic.

I have gone over everything, ran lines test, looked at every possible option, and the only one that is available to me if I want a 4-way dimmer setup is to run a neutral line between boxes one and two. Thankfully they are connected via conduit and only box three goes up to the light, so it won’t be a hard as it could have been; the one benefit to living in Northern Illinois I guess.

Thanks all!