Ge fan control speeds

I have a ge fan control switch that works fine when on high speed. When I switch it to medium speed my fan spins at about as low as possible. Is this a defect or is there a way to up the power output on medium setting?

1 Like

Are you sure the fan pull chain is on high?

2 Likes

Are you using a custom DTH?

Possibly it’s not quite right?

Check this first. I’ve had a GE Fan switch for while now and it works correctly.

Like I said on high the fan works properly and the fan is always on high. On medium setting the fan moves but so slow it barely pushes air.

I should mention that this switch runs two ceiling fans which may be the issue?

[quote=“Macros14, post:5, topic:82364, full:true”]
Like I said on high the fan works properly and the fan is always on high. On medium setting the fan moves but so slow it barely pushes air.[/quote]

I have no idea if that means you did or did not check to make sure that the switch on the fan itself (usually operated via a pull-chain) is set and left on the highest setting.

[quote=“Macros14, post:6, topic:82364, full:true”]
I should mention that this switch runs two ceiling fans which may be the issue?[/quote]

I don’t know if that’s the cause of the problem, but do you know if the combined load of the two fans is within what GE switch is rated for?

1 Like

Do they act the same? Do they both go slow on medium? Do they spin the same on high? Do they spin on low?

Are you using a custom device type in the IDE?

Is the switch ONLY controlling the fans? (No lights)

And what @DParker said, what about those things?

Does smarthings show the fan as in high speed when it’s on? Does smarthings track the speed you think the fan is running?

The more information you give us, the more likely we can help.

Can’t imagine this is the right thing to do. Easy test: use the pull-chain on one fan to shut it off. Then, see if the remaining fan operates correctly…

I’m having the same issue. The fan speed on the highest settings (67%-100%) is normal. However, going to Medium (33%-66%) is extremely slow, and on low (1%-32%) it is barely moving.

I was curious if there was a way to use some kind of configuration class to adjust the 3-levels that the switch knows about, but there is nothing documented that I have found yet.

For the first time I installed a single GE Smart Fan Control for two fans today. The switch specs say it can handle two fans with the same specs as long as they are a combined 1.5 amps or less which most fans would be.

From the instructions:

Maximum Loads: 1.5A No more than two identical fans to the switch. Not to exceed 1.5
Amp resistive load. CONTROLS FAN MOTOR ONLY. For use only with split capacitor or
shaded pole ceiling fan motors.

My installation is working well. I have both fans operating at the same speeds. I have high, medium and low all working. Fans are set to max by their chain.

1 Like

Good to know, learn something new all the time.

What?? you ACTUALLY read the instructions??

2 Likes