GE ceiling fan switch

Regarding the GE ceiling fan in-wall switches, I notice that they run their execution in the cloud. My other light/dimmer switches, the same GE brand, run locally. Any idea what device type works well and can offer local execution? Thanks!

PS: I see this device has in Graph API the following line:

• networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_LEGACY_NON_SECURE

I see my switches do NOT have such a line and have far more details.
Would removing and re-adding this device do anything?
I did once use the self-published device type as created by a member here.

Thanks!

Unfortunately the stock fan control has yet to be moved to local execution.

You can use the dimmer DTH but it won’t appear as a fan in the app with the step controls.

1 Like

Thanks. And the custom handlers no longer work with the new app if I recall reading other threads correctly?

That depends if the author has made changes to support the new app, but I’d still use ST’s built in DTH called “Z-Wave Fan Controller”. At least it will run local once ST gets around to it.

3 Likes

I have 9 of these fan controllers installed for the last year and honestly I didn’t realize until today they were cloud executed I’ve also not really had any issues with them running that way.

4 Likes

Thanks @ThomasTrain. I’m trying to pinpoint my slow trigger issue which includes a fan. I was thinking local execution may help. But your experience gives me hope this is not my issue.

any update on this moving to local control?

Yes: see my last post on the linked thread

No, I think @surge919 was wondering when the GE Fan Controller would finally move to local control. I’m wondering the same, it’s been years now. In fact other then some truly cloud integrations (EcoBee, MyQ) every device I have is now local except for these fan controllers.

You can move them to Edge for local execution:

2 Likes