GE Add On Switch not working

I was thinking the same thing after reading the scenarios again. Only question is if mixing neutral from a different circuit would cause a problem.

I agree, I’ve had to pull neutrals off adjacent switches on separate breakers. So far no issues. Could be I got lucky. Doesn’t happen often. So if I did get lucky I should go celebrate it.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about the 13v and 27v. They are just phantom voltages caused by high impedance digital voltmeter. You won’t see this with an old analog meter.
I would really worry about sharing neutral. You can share one neutral only if the two line hot are on different phase. Meaning if you put the meter between the two line hot wires. You will get 220v. This is usually done in a split outlet in your kitchen. If they are on the same phase. 0 volt between 2 line hot wires. There is a chance that neutral will be carrying more than rated 15 amps.
You should connect the box ground to your switch ground instead of counting on the 2 switch screws which often not very secure to compensate for the faceplate alignment.
As for getting your switches to work. I would start with the master switch first. Remove the add on from the circuit. Your master switch doesn’t need the add on switch in the circuit to operate.

2 Likes

I agree about sharing neutrals. There is ALOT to house wiring most people don’t know or understand. Me included!!
I felt safe doing it because I was getting on my outside lights circuit. Very little on it. I also added 1 light which shouldn’t add too much additional load. It is something you should think about.

@Scott_Barton did you ever get this to work? Just curious.

No, going to hire am electrician probably.

As long as you get the end result. Sometimes it’s better to pay someone else. Been there done that!

Couldn’t figure out how to fix it and use the add-on switch. Ended up having to use a battery operated switch instead. :frowning:

Just wanted to say that we were totally vexed over this add-on situation, and stumbled upon this post and it completely solved our problem. Thank you!