GE 45600/45601/45631 Remotes - Need Full Integration to Operate Other Protocols and Items via ST

Guys, can somebody point me where to grab the GE 45600 device type code from? will appreciate it.

@smart You can use this

https://github.com/statusbits/smartthings/tree/master/GE45600

But, I just use the default Zwave remote that ST detects it as, since no one has been able to get it to recognize the scene commands unless it was previously working with like Vera.

It is a lifesaver when ST is not working like last night, at least most of my switches are Z-wave and I can control it with these.

1 Like

@thrash99er Thanks a lot!

i wonder what configuring it with vera does to it? frankly i LOVE smartthings but if i bought, say, five of these remotes, and i was SURE configuring them from vera was possible, then it’s actually still cheap to buy the vera hub ($104) just to configure the remotes with. I’d be out about $150 and have five scene controllers. And i’m sure i could resell the hub.

1 Like

any idea (based on what you said) if another cheaper hub would work also? I also have a wink hub.

If it’s a hub that the handheld remote works with, it should be the same process.

Just don’t make sense why other hubs have capability and open source ST does not, is not willing to allow it, or can not figure it out? I’d want my device to be fully compadiable with as much as possible, others in the same price range or less pull it off?

It’s a zwave controller function, controller replication. The ST hub doesn’t support that command.

And further–once the remote is set up with scenes by a primary that supports scene controllers, the remote will return the scene number when a button is pressed. But without being set up as a scene controller, the remote just returns a null, which is why SmartThings can’t tell what button was pressed on the remote unless the remote was previously set up by a different primary.

My guess, if I had to guess, is ST doesn’t support these zwave-only scene controller commands for the same reason ST describes zwave as having “clusters” when it doesn’t–it looks like they started from a zigbee framework to build their “universal” platform, and then fit zwave into that. So they never really built in the scene controller concept, because that doesn’t exist in zigbee. They went with button controllers instead, which basically treat each button as a separate contact sensor. Which work great with both zigbee or zwave right up until you run into a device, like the GE handhelds, which require a specific zwave controller command to tell the hub which button was pressed. But that’s a pure guess.

SmartThings can mix zigbee and zwave devices into a set you can control with one button press on a Minimote or SmartenIT 3 toggle. That’s actually pretty amazing, and not something most of the competition does. But they got there by NOT supporting the zwave-only concept of scene controllers.

I don’t have a big problem with what they did, but I wish they’d explain it better and offer more alternatives that do fit their universal platform concept. (Harmony does, nicely: nailing that integration would help a lot if ST would explain it in a way that helps justify the higher price.)

If you have a zwave-only installation, the GE handhelds are useful cheap devices. But the Aeon minimotes are even cheaper, and fit a universal platform better. And if you want zwave-only, I’m not sure you’d select ST, anyway.

So like I said, I understand the reasons. I just wish it was explained with more clarity. :sunglasses:

1 Like

i’m not sure i would say they are even cheaper. I paid $10 for my ge remote.

1 Like

@thrash99er , I don’t see whether the link you provide is your own code or not? However, that code doesn’t seem to be available any longer on GitHub. Any idea where I can find it?

GE45600 does not work as a button controller with ST, so I removed the code.

i wanted it as well. I was ready to buy a vera controller just so i could program these remotes.

Works perfect, unless you switch to a V2 Hub, then ST no longer allows you to add lights to the buttons
 V1 back out, V2 sending back for refund
 I like my muti-button remotes

Edited:
“Work Perfect” = as a remote to control any zwave devices on your network

1 Like

GE 45600 Remote is functional again on V2 Hub

1 Like

Thanks for creating this post, I have had a few zwave remotes and wanted to figure out how to add to ST for almost a year now. You post was the most concise and perfect information I could ask for.