[OBSOLETE] Garageio Integration - 2022-01-29

Got it. I didn’t see the updated link. I just got it all installed looking forward to testing a little later. Thank you so much for the work you’ve done on this. I really appreciate it Brandon.

I’m also experiencing where routines are not working. I have a routine setup called “I’m Back” When we manually use the routine, it’s supposed to turn on the lights, unlock our doors, and then we added the Garageio integration that you gave and it doesn’t seem to open the door with the routine. The routine does do everything else, but it won’t open the door. When we manually use the garageio link in smart things, it does work perfectly, just not tied to a routine. I’d appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks.

This is an issue on the SmartThings side. You have to use a Garage Door SmartApp or something like webCore which also works perfectly.

If you’re new to SmartThings, this might be easier:

It’s what I used for years until switching to webCore for consolidation purposes and is also linked earlier in this thread. If interested in webCore:

It’s a separate site entirely, even though it looks like SmartThings, so you’ll have to register there.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve decided to scrap my whole Garageio setup, and just move forward with the Linear GoConnect. Got a good deal for a brand new one, and should match up nicely since my garage opener is also Linear. SmartThings has the Linear as already working and compatible so hopefully it’s a sinch.

Thanks again. :slight_smile:

Your call. I liked the built in redundancy of Garageio in case SmartThings is down as Garageio still has an app. Also, no separate battery powered sensor to determine status which can be problematic in the winter months.

I can’t seem to get this to work, the app installs, I created the device and the device handler but when I press the open button it shows opening for a 1/2 second then goes right back to a closed state.
It never opens the door, and when i look at the activity log, it doesnt show anything happeneing.

I get this error in the log at SmartThings

ca40a08c-7994-449a-a4c8-1ec668540e78 11:57:12 AM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method push() on null object @ line 143
ca40a08c-7994-449a-a4c8-1ec668540e78 11:57:12 AM: debug Call parent.push(dni, changeState)
ca40a08c-7994-449a-a4c8-1ec668540e78 11:57:12 AM: debug Current State: null, Change to State: OPEN, Door ID: 6969
ca40a08c-7994-449a-a4c8-1ec668540e78 11:56:49 AM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method push() on null object @ line 143
ca40a08c-7994-449a-a4c8-1ec668540e78 11:56:49 AM: debug Call parent.push(dni, changeState)
ca40a08c-7994-449a-a4c8-1ec668540e78 11:56:49 AM: debug Current State: null, Change to State: OPEN, Door ID: 6969
ca40a08c-7994-449a-a4c8-1ec668540e78 11:56:44 AM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method push() on null object @ line 143
ca40a08c-7994-449a-a4c8-1ec668540e78 11:56:44 AM: debug Call parent.push(dni, changeState)
ca40a08c-7994-449a-a4c8-1ec668540e78 11:56:44 AM: debug Current State: null, Change to State: OPEN, Door ID: 6969
ca40a08c-7994-449a-a4c8-1ec668540e78 11:56:43 AM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method push() on null object @ line 143
ca40a08c-7994-449a-a4c8-1ec668540e78 11:56:43 AM: debug Call parent.push(dni, changeState)
ca40a08c-7994-449a-a4c8-1ec668540e78 11:56:43 AM: debug Current State: null, Change to State: OPEN, Door ID: 6969
ca40a08c-7994-449a-a4c8-1ec668540e78 11:56:42 AM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method push() on null object @ line 143
ca40a08c-7994-449a-a4c8-1ec668540e78 11:56:42 AM: debug Call parent.push(dni, changeState)
ca40a08c-7994-449a-a4c8-1ec668540e78 11:56:42 AM: debug Current State: null, Change to State: OPEN, Door ID: 6969

Doesn’t look like the device is properly set up. Can you delete everything you have done and recreate from scratch?

That was the issue, deleted the old one, created a new one and everything seems to be working perfectly.

As you mentioned previously, I don’t do the automatic door opening, proximity stuff so this works great for me to manage my stuff in one place.

Thanks!

Awesome! Glad it is sorted.

Opening the door on proximity should work fine. For example, if you want to open the door as you’re pulling into your neighborhood though, that works perfectly. Or as good as the location works with the SmartThings app which is out of my control.

The only downside to this integration is the status of open vs closed. I don’t have any triggers that rely on that being “up to the second” so I don’t have any issues. An example would be if you want to turn on a light on when the door is opened (based on status). That might be delayed for a minute or so. If you wanted something like this though, I’d just turn on the light based off of the same proximity sensor you use to open the door. Basically, I can’t think of a use case where knowing the door is opened the second it happens is any more useful than 60 seconds later.

I find that the update is almost non existent unless I go to the SmartThings app and refresh the doors.

Any idea what to do there?

That shouldn’t be the case. It updates. Check your logs and see if you are getting errors maybe.

The issue is the polling time, it works fine for 5 minute intervals, but if you’re looking for close to real time it isn’t a good option.

Is there anyway to lower the polling?
Essentially I let the UPS guy in, he drops off packages and then I close the door, but with the polling not up to date the door ends up responding in reverse.

Yes, that makes more sense. You had said “almost non-existent” which was obviously incorrect.

Are you letting the UPS guy in on a regular basis? If he is calling you or something, you can just click refresh in the app and it updates immediately instead of waiting. It sounds like that would suffice as it isn’t an automated situation at all.

If he has access to your door and lets himself in, that’s going to be more difficult.

As a final option, you can get a tilt sensor and install it to get immediate status in SmartThings. The fastest polling you can do in SmartThings is 1min and depending on your use, that may not be enough still.

@bmmiller - Are you still maintaining the DH and Smartapp? I’ve run into a problem when using it with ActionTiles. When I select to use it at a Garage Controller nothing functions. I can get it to read status and I was able to create a momentary button to open and close, but that means I have 2 icons to display instead of just one that shows status and acts as the button all in one. Thoughts on how to fix that?

It’s still being maintained, yes. I’m aware of this issue as several people have mentioned it already but haven’t had the time to invest into it as it’s a minor inconvenience at best right now.

I’ll make sure to update the thread when it’s addressed appropriately.

EDIT: I also don’t use ActionTiles so haven’t been able to debug. Would need to set it up I guess.

@bmmiller - Thanks for the response!

Do me a favor and try again. You’ll need to pull the latest Device Handler code from my repo and probably re-synchronize.

I’m not sure if this is normal to ActionTiles as I’ve never used it until now, but you have to trigger an update to get it to know (or guess) the status of the door. Once the icon changes from a ? to a door in ActionTiles, you can correctly control the door.

That seems to have done the trick! I’ll see how it responds to a manual opening when I get home in about an hour.

Now to see if there is a way to skip the confirmation dialog box and go straight to the action.

Thanks for the help!

That’s a question for ActionTiles, not me :slight_smile:

@bmmiller - Yep… sending them a message now. Thanks for your help and creating this integration. It’s been very useful.