Garage Doors and Routines (all platforms, all garage tilt sensors, discuss problems with app 2 here)

I’ve been using the MyQ controller and copyninja’s device type and smartapp. Routines see my garage door and see/control it just fine.

1 Like

There is a huge safety issue doing that. I used to have no problems with v1 opening the door properly because its action was dependent on the tilt sensor. Last night the lasers saved me from closing the door on my car. The relay should open the garage on presence, and it didn’t so I used my HomeLink and as I was driving in, the presence finally connected and the door started to close. That would not have happened with v1!!! Really miss the door automation and it was getting better in the last few weeks, hope they bring it back soon. @ben how far down the priority list is this?

I am still using V1 for the garage doors and presence sensors. Moved all the other stuff to V2. If you havent moved completely to V2 and value your garage door controls via Smartthings, leave the garage door components paired to V1 until this problem is resolved. You will have to switch between 2 locations within the smartthings app to control V1 and V2. The hubs do not communicate with each other so if you leave your presence sensor tied to V1, V2 will not detect your presence sensor so it will still be in away mode. iOS device acts like a presence sensor in both V1 and V2 at the same time.

I recommend installing SmartRules. I find it is far more robust in allowing IFTTT-type rules to be created, without having to understand IFTTT programming. The interface is very easy to use, and one of the rules I have set up for it is for my garage door.

The rule states that, if someone leaves, AND the tilt sensor indicates open, THEN push the garage door relay switch. In this way, if the garage door is already closed when someone leaves, it won’t be automatically opened.

In a similar way I have a rule that opens the garage when someone arrives: If arrive AND tilt sensor is closed THEN push relay switch.

SmartRules is so open in what triggers/conditions you can use that, if I wanted, I could have the garage door close per the above, but ALSO IF the living room lamp is OFF.

Using SmartRules will solve the garage door problem with v2, I believe. I use SmartRules for all of my complex rules, and use the SmartThings app for adding/managing devices.

2 Likes

Let me go buy an iPhone to try it out, not…

One could do the same rules with https://www.simplerulebuilder.com

1 Like

If you have the tilt sensor set up on the old hub, go to https://graph.api.smartthings.com/login/auth and login. Under “My devices”, find your sensor, edit it, and change the location and hub to be your new location/hub.
I did this for my Smartthings Multi-sensor (after struggling for a while trying to figure out how to get the tilt notification), and it worked. Can’t say for sure whether this will work for all other sensors. May be worth a try

I want the old garage opener smart app back! This is ridiculous to remove a feature a lot of users counted on after paying for v2 of the hub.

4 Likes

This is really irritating… I was just about to start my transition to Hub V2 when I can across this garage door issue. I just sent a email to support to see what my options are.

Hello-

I’m looking for some guidance. I just received my Hub V2 and was about to begin transferring things over when I came across the community post: My Top issues with v2 - READ because missing features, you are going backwards

I’m concerned about the garage door functionality. I currently have three garage doors setup with the following hardware:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00913ATFI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

https://shop.smartthings.com/#!/products/samsung-smartthings-multipurpose-sensor

https://shop.smartthings.com/#!/products/aeon-labs-minimote

The doors are setup using the Door Garage Control smartapp. With the way my garage is setup the relay module is not accessible for manual button pushes, therefore I use the minimote to trigger the doors via smartthigns.

Will I still be able to setup this up once I transition over to Hub V2?

Thanks for the help!

I must be missing something. I have half of the multi sensor on my garage door (no clue where the other half is, never thought I’d need it) how do I get it back to where it shows if it’s open or closed based on if the sensor is horizontal (open) or vertical (Closed)

Also trying to remember what I did to my mimo to make it so I just hit the button once and it opened. I have to hit it twice to register the click.

Switch the device type to “SmartSense Garage Door Multi”.

1 Like

So irritating, they already have the code: http://blog.smartthings.com/news/smartthings-updates/automate-your-garage/
Old way was simple and worked like a charm.

This and other SmartApps should have been left alone…

The other one I had experience with was the Auto Door Lock… Replaced by “Enhanced Auto Lock Door” which is ridiculous IMO… But was pretty easy to just remove the garbage code from it and have it just simply lock the dam door.

2 Likes

Hey folks,

I got my MIMOLite to show up as a garage door in Routines by adding capability "Garage Door Control" to my device type.

3 Likes

I was just getting ready to move from V1 to V2 when I was reading the migration blog and saw the problem with Linear GD00Z-4 garage door opener. I have just got it working the way I wanted it with V1. The plan to make the move has come to a screeching halt.
Now plan is to put V2 on shelf and stick with V1 until V2 has all the bugs and compatibility problems worked out.

2 Likes

So finally decided to move to V2, and just finished setting up my garage door with the Evolve LFM20 switch…

aaaaaaand I just realized that they screwed me.

How could they take this functionality away? At least keep the working stuff till the new version is ready?!?!?!?!

2 Likes

I experienced the same frustration today

It took a few attempts for my GD00Z-4 to connect to hub 2.0, but once it did it works fine. It shows up as a garage door device type, correctly reports if open/closed, and works as it should.

1 Like

aren’t you glad they told you up front you are now a beta tester? I’m so frustrated! we were all told that every device would have to be removed and re setup and being told in advance i decided I could accept that but they never really said that they COULD NOT be re setup after…

why on earth would they take functionality out before they have a replacement? more frustrating is their “work around” that add no extra functionality besides giving you an easy place to see it from. but still does not tie into routines

I jumped in and moved to Hub V2 and the one device I was worried about moving turned out to be a snap. The Linear GD00Z-4 garage door opener. When I got to the point to exclude it, I got ladder and pushed the remove button on the app and then pushed button on the GD00Z-4 and while holding my breath it excluded from V1. Include was just as easy and works just like it did on V1, actually everything seems to work quicker with V2.
Thanks Phil_Day for advising me it worked fine.

Hello!

I’ve got a ‘Welcome Home’ routine that is supposed to activate when EITHER my wife or I come home. It works great when both of us are not there and one of us comes home. It does NOT work, however, if one of us is already home and the other one then comes back.

I’ve checked my settings and it is set to go off regardless of ‘mode’. Any ideas?