Garage Doors and Routines (all platforms, all garage tilt sensors, discuss problems with app 2 here)

I jumped in and moved to Hub V2 and the one device I was worried about moving turned out to be a snap. The Linear GD00Z-4 garage door opener. When I got to the point to exclude it, I got ladder and pushed the remove button on the app and then pushed button on the GD00Z-4 and while holding my breath it excluded from V1. Include was just as easy and works just like it did on V1, actually everything seems to work quicker with V2.
Thanks Phil_Day for advising me it worked fine.

Hello!

I’ve got a ‘Welcome Home’ routine that is supposed to activate when EITHER my wife or I come home. It works great when both of us are not there and one of us comes home. It does NOT work, however, if one of us is already home and the other one then comes back.

I’ve checked my settings and it is set to go off regardless of ‘mode’. Any ideas?

Until we have Decision Tables that allow multiple varied criteria and validate the input, overlap & gaps, they are all just code in a different language.

I just migrated everything over last night from v1 to v2. That was fun!.. :wink:

Beyond the other issues I experienced with deleting location, hub, and excluding a few items, I got I finally got it all done.

As many of you have experienced, the LInear/GoControl Z-Wave Isolated Contact Fixture Module - FS20Z-1 or Evolve LFM-20 Fixture module does not pair as easily with the ST Multi Sensor. I was able to add both devices to the Hub v2, without any problem.

After reading through these rants, I fiddled with the IDE to determine the proper TYPE, so I can make things work.

I still haven’t made is as fluid at in V1, where the multi sensor THING showed open/closed status, and triggered the relay to physically open or close the door.

I now have two Things, under Garage Grouping, that I need to use to make it work.

I changed the ST Multi Sensor type to Smartsense Garage Door Sensor Button, so the tile/icons look the same as in v1. This accurately shows me open/close status, with minimal delay. The button portion, as in V1, does not trigger the relay. I will see if I can alter any code or set up a routine, as you mention, to do so.

It also shows open or closed in Smart Home Monitor, and will trigger routines you set up for notifying, Alarming, etc…

Next, I changed the Linear FS20Z-1 Z-Wave Relay switch to a Z-Wave Virtual Momentary Contact Switch, as described by Ben Siegel. If I want to open the garage, then I hit the relay button, as in V1. It shows an ON status while the door opens/closes, and OFF, while the door opens/closes. This is as excepted from a switch, and changing ti to a virtual contact switch did nothing to help with combining these two things. It again did change the icon to look like v1.

Now I need to figure out how to point this to the Multi Sensor, so it can work like it did with V1. Although I need to use two things to make it work, It gets the job done, and I can set up a SmartApp or IFTT to open or close based on presence.

If I had to do it again, I would have gone with the Linear GD00z-4, for more money, opposed to a dumb relay switch. I originally intended to do both garage doors, of my three car garage, but never justified the cost of the second relay, since I rarely open up that garage door.

Finally, I have always had a Foscam camera pointed at the door, due to false triggers I experienced in the early days. Prior to using the ST multi sensor for tilt, I used the Ecolink tilt sensor, which caused a few false triggers a month. The ST multi/ tilt sensor, never gives me false triggers, but I do check the camera, when I get a notification that the garage door has been open for longer than 15 minutes. This solves the security issue mentioned earlier, and also allows me to see if someone is sneaking in the side garage door, if that sensor is triggered.

If someone can explain how to easily set up a a routine to fix the scenario I described above, it would be greatly appreciated. I will fiddle with it later, and update my findings, If I am able to link the two together.

@bsiegel13 If you could share your findings, that would be appreciated.

I’m
Having a similar problem. I have separate routines for each of us to open our respective garage doors etc. They work fine if we come home separately. But if we come home together I’d expect both garage doors to open. Problem is even though I removed the setting so they should run regardless of what mode we are in, only one of them ever runs depending on which presence sensor it recognized first. And frequently the wrong one depending on which car we are coming home together in. Anyone have suggestions.

As for the door I wrote a smartapp to combine a simulated or virtual garage door device with 2 physical devices and get operation like it used to be and like an integrated garage opener. This has stopped the door closing on my wife just as it sensed she is home and started closing the already open door.

It’s possible that you’re running into the following known issue ( this is a clickable link):

Although yours may be yet a different variation. However, I include the link as someone else might have a related issue as well.

Thanks that is my problem still there in v2… I wrote a couple of rules using simple rule … if so and so comes home based on presence sensor and their garage door is closed and mode is already home open their door. Now whatever one runs first and opens their garage , disarms and unlocks doors the other one will.open the other garage. As expected when we both came home together from dinner both doors opened… I guess the only further improvement would be to get separate tags for the cars as well so then you would know which door to open.

I am trying to figure out why the Hub is not realizing that the garage door is ALREADY open via the Ecolink Tilt Sensor and to NOT turn on the LFM-20 relay.

I thought this system was supposed be able to alert you if the door is left open by mistake?

I am having an issue with my zwave relay. everything installed fine and I can operate my garage door by turning the relay on and then quickly off. I then change the device type to a zwave virtual momentary switch but the length of press causes an issue when closing it starts to close then reopens, this behavior is duplicated in relay mode if I dont turn off the relay quickly enough. How would I set up a custom device handler to shorten the time the relay is closed

This worked for my linear iris branded garage door opener. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

where do I change the capability to “Garage Door Control”?

Hi @spikebetrayer, that’s automatically defined in the device handler code (reference our posts in the other discussion). If you’re using that code, just create a new Routine, and you’ll see where you select a garage door opener.

my device type says mimolite controller should I change it to something else

Yup, change it to the name you gave your custom device handle you created. If you didn’t change anything in my code, it should be called “My MIMOlite Garage Door Controller”.

Make sure you have set the jumper to the right position, and then tap on the Configure tile in the phone app. You won;t see it do anything, but it will properly configure the device for power failure events.

can you send me a link to your smart app please sir. I am getting my butt kicked on the door issue.

Hi @spikebetrayer,

I think you’re confusing a few terms, so let’s see if we can help clarify a few things for you:

A capability is something a device is capable of doing or reporting information on, like “switch”, “humidity”, “contact sensor”.

A SmartApp (or app) is an application that uses your devices to perform automations based upon a set of rules and conditions you define. Examples of those are Smart Home Monitor, Smart Lighting, and Rule Machine just to name a few of the popular ones. Routines can also be considered a SmartApp as well.

A device handler is code that makes your device work with SmartThings, and they can be custom developed or built into SmartThings. Examples of those are the Mimolite, GE Fan Control, regular switches, and many, many other devices.

So based on your posts here, and in the other discussion, it sounds like you have installed my device handler code for the Mimolite. Is that right?

yes sir that is correct ,now I just want the status to work so when the tilt sensor is closed the DOOR icon changes to CLOSED. Thank you so much for taking time to help me

Hi @spikebetrayer. No problem, but unfortunately what you want to do won’t work. The Mimolite has it’s own open/closed sensor built in that must use a wired contact sensor for the door icon to change the state between open/closed.

I included our other discussion below because I replied to that as well. It shows in the first few posts how the Mimolite needs to be installed with that wired contact sensor. There is no way for a single device handler to use two separate physical devices like the Mimolite and tilt sensor.

oh well at least I can see status of the tilt sensor so I will know if the door is open or not …Thank you very much

1 Like

Here is reply i got from support

Thanks for reaching out!
You’re going to want to look under “Switch” or your Relay as it’s technically a switch since we are no longer doing the combined method for Multis and Relays.
Try that and let me know if it still isn’t showing.
Kind regards,
Jake K.
SmartThings Support