Garage Door Opener with SmartThings

It looks like my current garage door opener is failing and as I replace it, I would like to get something that works with SmartThings. In looking at the Works with SmartThings page, it seems that there isn’t an opener that inherently connects to SmartThings as there are only 2 add-on devices that connect to it (GoControl and Iris). Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I can see a number of Smart Garage Door Openers that have their own apps but not sure if there is any way to interface them to SmartThings. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

I’m not sure what you mean by “add on” devices but Nortek, one of the largest Z wave device manufacturers, makes the garage door controller that works with smartthings and is sold under multiple brand names, including gocontrol and linear. Also, any Wi-Fi garage door controller that has an IFTTT connection might give you some integration that way.

https://www.smartthings.com/products/go-control-garage-door-opener

https://www.amazon.com/GoControl-Linear-GD00Z-4-Z-Wave-Controller/dp/B00M75TEIU/

LiftMaster/Chamberlain door openers with their own MyQ WiFi internet gateway can be connected to SmartThings using this Smart App. Some models have the MyQ gateway embedded. Some support the separate MyQ hub.

You’ll need to add a tilt sensor to each door because Chamberlain doesn’t expose access to the door state.

Thanks JDRoberts. By an add-on device, I meant something like the Go Control. I can’t find a garage door opener that connects directly to SmartThings. It seems that the only options are to buy an opener and then buy something like Go Control or get a Smart Garage Door Opener and work through an IFTTT integration. I would assume that if I go with the Go Control, I don’t need to go through the extra expense of a smart opener.

Yes, that’s correct. The go control is essentially replicating the handheld remote, not providing the motor that operates the garage door.

I have 4 of the Iris branded controllers, which I believe is the same as the Go-control . These openers simply connect to the mechanical pushbutton. They have a tilt sensor that tracks whether the door is open or closed. I have been using them for several years now and they have been very reliable.

2 Likes

I have 2 Go Control modules that hook up to generic garage door motor units with no issue and full integration. I use @RBoy garage controler code.

2 Likes

This is the Enhanced Z-Wave Garage Door Controller daven was referring to. See the first post for a link to a list of compatible openers for the GoControl controller.

The plus is that it’s an all in one package. Some folks prefer to build their garage door controller using a variety of components like relays, buttons, chimes etc and if you’re interested in that approach then this topic on Virtual Garage Door Controllers may shed some light on how to it with SmartThings.
And then there’s the MyQ Lite integration if you have a Chamberlain or Liftmaster opener (digital one)

Thanks for all of the good info from everyone. This is very helpful. As I see it, I have two options for a simple solution (I am not looking to make things more complicated than they have to be).

1. Purchase the Go Control or similar device and a separate garage door opener/motor (that doesn’t have to be smart) and use the @RBoy integration

2. Purchase a Chamberlain or Liftmaster garage door opener with MyQ with a separate tilt sensor and then use the integration posted by HalD

As I see it, there are pro’s and con’s to each option as far as the number of devices required and the integration requirement. I will have to take a look at the costs and make a decision. I will post back here once I have decided how I will move forward. Thanks to all for your support. This community is one of the things that brings great value to SmartThings in my mind.

1 Like

This post may find you too late, but IFTTT now works directly with MyQ and SmartThings so there is no need for the separate tilt sensor to build automation (MyQ knows if the door is open or closed). This is a relatively recent change (Summer2020).

2 Likes