Frustrated by the state of things

Well, mine is 7500 miles away! :wink: missus doesnā€™t read thiese posts!

2 Likes

I double dare you giving it to your mother-in-law. Your strategy is all wrong. You need to pick someone who doesnā€™t have your phone # and address, or else theyā€™ll be hunting you down with questions. I tell you what, Iā€™ll send you my address, I could use another hub to see if mine is broken. Who knows, we both may be happy with the results. I get my local processing back and you have less headaches to deal withā€¦Deal?

2 Likes

When your presence sensor device stops working everybody tells you that your hub is too close to the router.
Well, thatā€™s what I was told, but if I move it something else might stop working. Right now just my presence devices donā€™t work and I can deal with it.
I think my hub came with a 2ā€™ network cable so I used it.

4cd-09b8-4403-ae48-c9d1c791d558 1:18:18 AM EST: error com.netflix.hystrix.exception.HystrixRuntimeException: C*-AppStateCache-Update timed-out and fallback disabled.

Like this? When I chose the device attached to it it showed up as my Ecobee thermostat

Yes. I have no Ecobee though. Iā€™d put a ticket in on that in case itā€™s db corruption. It may not be but itā€™s worth reporting IMO.

1 Like

I have been having these issues as well. I tried to work around them and tell myself that they will get fixed but recently they have been getting worse. I just sent this ticket to support

Hello, I have been dealing with some issues with routines and apps not working and these are starting to become unsafe. At first the routines would not execute however in the app it said that it ran but it did nothing. I blew this off to being a bug and it kept happening and eventually all my routines were broke. I deleted all my routines and re added them. I did this several times and they are still not working. My latest issue is a very important one I have a heater in my 11 month old sonā€™s room and it is suppose to turn on after the temperature goes below a certain level. This has been working flawlessly for a few months except last night it stopped working along with the goodnight routine which left all of the doors unlocked and all of the lights on. This is past frustrating now please give me some explanation to what is happening and I know that these issues are not just mine because I read the post on the community.

2 Likes

Same here. Even recreated new routines are not working. I opened a second ticket as they are not responding

1 Like

This is my Second ticket on this issue as well, No response from the first.

Iā€™ve stopped using routines almost completely.

I use rule machine now.

3 Likes

Rule machine canā€™t keep SmartThings going if the hub goes inactive, though. And since I didnā€™t get any response to my question about why there was no pre-notification for the last platform update, my assumption is that they may sometimes give notification, but they do not consider it essential.

I wouldnā€™t deploy SmartThings at this point for winter heating control of any kind, including temperature monitoring.

( by the way, it was not my Internet connection, of course. it was just SmartThings.) And once the hub went off-line the first time, nothing in my house worked even when it did come back online. So I woke up to nothing working the other day.

I find this to be a big difference between ST up through August and now. I donā€™t know if itā€™s platform changes, mobile app changes, or hub changes, since all changed in the same period. But in the past, When hub v1 went off-line, nothing worked, but when it came back online most things seem to work.

Now, once hub v2 two goes off-line, nothing works for a while until we do a lot of reset and fiddling, in both the mobile app and with the devices themselves.

Thatā€™s a big change, and a primary source of frustration. Each individual action may be small, but first of all having nothing run until the person attends to it makes each platform push that much more inconvenient.

And, of course, since I am not able to do the resets on my own, it cost me actual money to pay somebody else to do them. Yet another source of frustration.

Sorry, Iā€™m ventingā€“most people in this topic already know all of this. :rage:

Just wanted to say that at this point I think the system, whether by philosophy or design, has to be considered what in engineering we would call a ā€œunreliable actor.ā€

So I definitely wouldnā€™t put a winter heating system on it.

3 Likes

I had a similar issue over the weekend - the Hub went offline several times over Saturday night, with no issue from the network. Afterwards, the garage multisensors reports vibration on the door constantly, and the garage motion sensor reports motion constantly. Tonight Iā€™ll power off the hub to force a zigbee refresh to see if it fixes it.

My NetAtmo station just does not get the same readings in the Smartthings App, it simply does not refreshā€¦

Iā€™m having all sorts of issues this morning. Morning Routine (timer based lights on) did not fire (a critical part of my morning), motion sensors not registering motion, open closed sensors not communicating (medicine reminder did not fire). Basically 75% of my system (and all the critical parts upon which I rely) is down. Very frustrating.

I joined this community to find out about SmartThings from the people using it and Iā€™m glad I did. I was about to buy a full solution mainly for security for my impending house move. I think Iā€™ll stick with a wireless alarm system and stand alone appliance controls - seems like a lot less bother.

1 Like

You need to go into the Netatmo(Connect) SmartApp, click next and done. This will refresh the connection with Netatmo and get you going again. There is an issue with some of the third party services not retaining their respective connections to the services.

1 Like

Before you give up on ST, realize that the vast majority of the people here are not typical users. We are the tweakers that are constantly messing with things and pushing them to the limitā€¦ Thus, our stuff breaks more!

While admittedly there are issues, most of us have come here from other platforms and found this to be the best.

Either way, good luck.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not. I may be atypical in my understanding of the architecture, as I used to be a network engineer, but at this point I am a plug-and-play customer as much as possible. (Iā€™m quadriparetic, with limited use of my hands. I donā€™t even want to open the app if I donā€™t have to.)

I have intentionally tried to keep my SmartThings installation as simple as possible. I use the officially-provided methods whenever possible, even if that means giving up some features from custom stuff.

I have one routine that does nothing but turn on a nightlight at a specified time. I have another that does nothing but change the mode at a specified time. Over the last month or so, both break often.

Itā€™s not the system set up. And itā€™s not any tinkering on my side.

Submitted with respect.

3 Likes

I completely agree with you. There are series aspects of the platform that have degraded. My intention, which usually never comes out the way I want, is that most active community members of almost any community are usually not the typical of the shelf user. They know the true ins and outs of the system.

Things have been going pretty good here after an almost 100% failure of all routines and smartapps. I try to periodically go through my smartapps to check settings and I think this helps ā€œrefreshā€ them server-side.

I believe that on Saturday none of the appropriate routines or apps ran at Sunset, but everything has worked since.

Finally, the Lighting Vacation app does not function at all.

Itā€™s still frustrating not being certain things will work as intended, but I can see it slowly starting to get better.

On a lighter note, my brother tried to install his Wink hub over the weekend, and it only took 4 hours and 2 calls to tech support. (The issue ended up being very obscure- there is a known issue with Wink not working if your wifi password is exactly 13 characters and you use iOS). So, itā€™s not just Smartthings that has growing pains and quirks.

3 Likes

At least he could make it work. About one year back or so I tried nearly the whole night to get the stupid thing to work and next day the brick went back to HD.