Frustrated by the state of things

we have a category in the community wiki called “known system issues” and I would encourage anyone who knows of more to add to it. That way there’s just one place you have to go look at, and it always stays up-to-date. There’s not much there now, though. Presence getting stuck as "always on"for UK users, and the text-to-speech bug.

Obviously there are more, like the set level in smart lighting for dimmables and the Oauth problem in the UK and some stuff with Sonos, we just need people to document them.

There’s a template you can use so it’s pretty straightforward. And you can point back to threads in the forums for further discussion.

So I’d encourage people to both read the section and add to it. :sunglasses:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Category:Known_System_Issues

Schedules have always been a problem, especially around peak times (sunset, sunrise). They either occasionally don’t trigger, or they get into a state of permanent dysfunction until the app that set them is reset in some way.

The routine thing is fairly new, again I have seen this when they are auto performed by schedules, but see this with presence as well. It comes and goes.

2 Likes

Sure:

Add local processing for a complete list…

update: let’s make it more fun…I’ve added the age of the open tickets

2 Likes

What’s the average age of a positive Support Ticket response these days? I haven’t opened many over the years, but still used to appreciate the < 1 business day response. Sad state of affairs.

I guess we could put more effort into our own bug tracker, though I don’t know yet what value it is besides our little group here that is already rather aware of the issues:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Category:Known_System_Issues

Interesting. I wonder why it would be a problem for some but not others? I would be curious to know some of the conditions around the failures. Device manufacturers, default or custom device types, Internet connection quality, etc.

Thanks for the response.

Some issues are related to specific devices (GE bulbs, for example), some to where you live, some are just completely random.

See the following thread for many data points:

This thread is truly the definition of “random”.

2 Likes

Pretty happy camper here tonight. The firmware seems to have taken care of some of my problems. My local processing is back and I am able to use the failing motion and contact sensors that I have had issues in the past few weeks. Keep fingers crossed that this will be a permanent fix.

6 Likes

So frustrated this morning. I am done with this system! :wink:

Good Night routine didn’t fire last night. My garage light stayed on all night and my kitchen Sonos made noise this morning that scared the crap out of me.

So please immediately remove the awesome feature that prevents a routine from running when a switch is on. Also, bring back the minimum 30 seconds lag, so I don’t think that my light stayed on all night and please unfix the Sonos, so the reminders I set won’t scare me in the morning.

:tada: Great job guys, whatever fixes you pushed yesterday made a huge difference!!! Thank you… :tada:

Ya I’m having fun too. One hub won’t update… and the one that did… good night also didn’t fire.

My post was a joke, everything works well here. Good night didn’t run because it was not supposed to run when the switch is on. The garage light was not on all night, it just seemed like it was because I’ve got used to having a minimum 30 seconds lag. And my Sonos ‘noise’ was a reminder that hasn’t been working for the past few days but this morning did. Sorry you’re still having issues with your hub. Hope you’ll get it straight. It’s such a joy when you see the system working properly.

Glad yours was a joke, mines not. I’ve not had problems, until now.

@SBDOBRESCU your post was so deadpan I thought you were serious. I laugh now when I reread.

I had a routine fail to perk up my thermostats, but it’s really easy for me to fix. Keeps happening I’ll start to get cranky.

2 Likes

can they change the name to ClusterF@#k instead. Seems like ST can’t do anything right lately

I too had to re-read it as well. Poe’s Law was in full effect.

Poe’s law is an Internet adage which states that, without a clear indicator of the author’s intent, parodies of extreme views will be mistaken by some readers for sincere expressions of the parodied views.

Might want to add a :wink: next time @SBDOBRESCU

5 Likes

The problem is that sunrise/sunset is an exact moment thing and not a make sure this happens after this moment type of action. It should be a clock in the hub that sets a flag (In_DayTime) that then everything that looks for sunrise or sunset uses. if it happens to not notice the change for 3 minutes, oh look we are not in daytime anymore fire my event.

Why they dont do that in the core code I’ll ever understand. but for a SOLID MINUTE any event should be able to fire (and then note it fired so it does not constantly fire for a minute straight) so that we dont have to rely on microsecond accuracy.

1 Like

I am not really sure that is the issue for missing events …in fact. Pretty sure it isn’t… I gave a good night rule that can fire anytime things quiet down from 12 am to 4 am and it still is being missed regularly.

My events are missing set both ways, sunset or an exact time.

Hey Brian, I know this is too obvious, but I just had a routine that didn’t change my thermostats, so when I went in, I noticed that the thermostats got de-selected for some reason. I re-selected them and ran the routine manually and that fixed it for me…

My setup has been working great for a while (almost perfect)…

…until yesterday evening.

I had a device “fail”, so I did a replace through the app. It seemed to work OK. but since the device acted as a repeater for others I kicked off a Z-Wave repair. I’ve done this before and it has always solved my problem.

No errors encountered during the repair, but everything, and I mean everything has failed. The whole freakin’ thing went to shit real quick.

Now if I delete a device and re-add it, I can control it (albeit briefly). However the app always shows the incorrect device state. Also, when turning the device on or off, the event never shows in the log for the device. The problem seems to affect ALL Z-Wave devices. All Zigbee, LAN, and cloud devices work fine.

All automation fails 100% of the time. If a contact sensor (Zigbee) triggers an event, it shows in the log, but the device never responds. If I manually trigger a device, it sometimes works, most often it fails.

ST went from HERO to ZERO in a blink of the eye.

All of this happened yesterday evening. I do not have the update. I don’t know if it is related. I have contacted support. They ran a Z-Wave network repair (by the way, this disables the devices that I added back it - it is at this point that I loose them completely). It was suggested that I start over and rebuild everything (200 devices). I’m almost to that point. BUT, when I add a device that is located next to the hub, it too experiences all of the same problems (state out of sync, automations fail, network repair trashes control - even though that was barely working). I did turn the hub off for an hour - still no go. I have flipped breakers - same problems (rinse and repeat).

UPDATE - Zigbee now fails 100% too. Now only LAN and Cloud work (so my virtual switches are still thriving in this failed environment).

Any thoughts???