Frequent SSL Exceptions --> api.ecobee.com

All of a sudden, over the past few days, my Ecobee Suite is experiencing frequent exceptions when it tries to contact https://api.ecobee.com. These generally recover within 15-60 seconds if I retry the call every 15 seconds, so I know the arguments to the calls are properly formed.

The specific errors I am seeing are:

• javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
  • javax.net.ssl.SSLPeerUnverifiedException

From what I can tell, these are temporary in nature, as a retry often succeeds.

Given the frequency these are occurring, its probably something SmartThings needs to look into…

I’d add this precison: it only happens for some synchronous requests as My Ecobee device uses async polling and it doesn’t experience this SSL exception issue.

For users’ direct refresh calls (which are done via synchronous requests), then I can see the same exception issue in my logs. Of course, My ecobee device is able to re-issue the faulty requests when needed via some queue processing for failed commands.

Regards.

And indeed my Ecobee Suite will re-issue faulty requests and effortlessly recover from these temporal issues as well.

Oh, and my Ecobee Suite is FREE.

Regards^2.

4 Likes

@yvesracine -

I am not quite sure what all this has to do with the topic of this thread, as I did not start this as a commercial for my Ecobee Suite. I merely reported an error situation for discussion and awareness of the community.

IMHO, this is (once again) inappropriate and rude behaviour on your part, as has become expected.

3 Likes

I’m also tracking the exception and since 11:05 (EST), it seems that the exception is gone in my logs.

Because you force them to if they want free updates. We’ll just leave it at that.

2 Likes

How can I force them? By Telepathy?

If you’re so concerned about my contributors’ feedback, just contact them and ask them if they are forced in any way to give positive comments. But, you won’t do that b/c you’re afraid of their answers…

They will continue to give positive comments in my thread, because there is nothing similar in the whole ST community. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it…

They will give positive comments because you encourage it by rewarding them with free updates in return. On the other hand, if something critical is posted you get defensive and threaten to cut them off. Kinda throws the concept of integrity in the review process into doubt.

3 Likes

Just show me a threat I made to one of my contributors… Can you show me one?? I don’t think so…

If I were such a bad guy, my business will be down very quickly… My contributors keep coming and coming (not only from the ST community forum), but now people find my solutions just by googling them…

Now, with the Nest integration, it’s even better than before… I loved it guys when you keep talking about my solutions…

That’s not a threat at all.

At that time, I was manually pushing updates by emails…Quite a lot of work… I don’t do this anymore. My contributors can get all the minor updates using my sellfy ecommerce solutions.

Problem solved.

A history??? Where, I offered a refund to one guy who was complaining about the fact that he didn’t get updates 2 years after his contribution…

Slight exaggeration again… I will not respond to any more posts as this is going anywhere and we’ve already discussed about all this (and those posts are still under my thread, so contrary to what you say about me not accepting negative comments).

I’ve moved on, and you should too! An advice: don’t focus on the negative all the time, look at the bright side of life!

EDIT: Some people should write conspiracy theory books…

Oh Christ, it’s another Ecobee thread. :laughing:

You know, @storageanarchy, since it appears to be transient, that exception might be from an expired cert on some subset of webfarm nodes on Ecobee’s side. If that’s the case, hopefully it’ll light up something on their end, because it would break way more than your DTH. I wouldn’t burn too much time debugging it for a couple days. Just a thought.

5 Likes

There are whole threads that are blocked/deleted because the truth got too real. I have my own story.

2 Likes

A thread blew up about a year or so ago. I was a contributor for a paid app, but I was left out of the updates after about 8 months because I didn’t post the required, positive praise. The thread was long and drawn out and involved quite a few here on this forum. I won’t replay the specifics to hopefully avoid the trolls.

Something I find funny is the stock app, albeit not feature rich, never fails. Period - 7 thermostats, never disconnects. No heroic measures needed by bloated paid apps.

3 Likes

Thanks, @CamSoper, @SteveWhite, and @anon36505037 - SmartThings support got back to me today, thanking me for bringing this to their attention.

Which was all I was trying to do. See, I posted here AND sent a message to support@smartthings.com, because I thought others might like to know they aren’t alone seeing these errors.

And yes, they are transient, and they can be ignored/retried without damage (in case anyone ever searches for this again, and manages to make it to the end for the resolution :slight_smile: ).

6 Likes

Nice job! :slight_smile: