Frankly, I have about had it

So you joined the community just to make that one profound statement? If it’s so easy to fix, maybe they should hire you.

2 Likes

I think that is a non typical experience unless your environment is overly simplistic.

[edit] Actually if you are saying only 99 out of 100 times it works as expected that’s just an unacceptable level for controlling your home anyway.

I think my reliability is well over 99%, and where I have had problems it’s been with unsupported devices such as my Swann contact sensors - which are known to not work.

There is occasional downtime but not that much, and I’ve had a couple of issues after power failures but on the whole I can’t complain too much about reliability.

3 Likes

My experience is similar to yours. I have about 40 various Things and have occasional problems with one device or another - like the iHome smart plug that I have to re-initialize every 6 months, or the Monoprice door sensor that will need a battery replaced. But, overall, I’m pretty happy with the system considering the low entry price.

I first got involved with home automation in the 90’s, using X10 . Now THAT was a high maintenance effort! That said, I’m still using a number of X10 devices that are incorporated into the ST environment and it all works together quite satisfactorily.