Foscam Universal Internal Device Type (HD\Non-HD with Alarm\LED\PTZ Control)

I have mine connecting to the local IP and I can take pictures even when I am not home. The PTZ controls do not work very well. I do not have any port forwarding set up at all.

Now I am really scratching my head. So when I had my Lorex Ping cameras I did not have to have port forwarding enable to view the cameras on my iPhone. Are you able to view your cameras from the Foscam app on your mobile device when outside of your network? The whole port forwarding makes me a little nervous and if I can get away without it then that would be ideal.

As for the PTZ with the Foscam and ST I really donā€™t see as a selling point since you are not able to stream video within ST at this time. Seems silly to lets say pan the camera to the left a take picture in hopes that you are in the correct position for what you wanted to capture. The big selling point for me is that even though the Foscam is capable of PTZ mine will be in a stationary position so that when the camera is armed it will take pictures based on motion.

I donā€™t use the Foscam app, I could not get it to work after an hour and I abandoned it. I am still working on my remote access solution. I am setting up a server that uses linux and the motion package that will be my entry point for viewing my cams. I have a fairly nice upload connection and will assign the security server an ip on the dmz.

1 Like

Great news! I was able to get my Foscam cameras functioning correctly in ST. I can now use all the functions including taking snapshots, PTV and use SmartApps against triggers either within my network or remotely. I changed my port number and that seem to do the trick. However, and this is not a ST issue, but I cannot view cameras remotely using the Foscam iPhone app. I am able to view them when I am on my network but not outside. This will be my next issue to resolve but I am happy to say that the Foscam cameras within ST are working.

I finally got mine up and working as well. Interestingly enough it appears that it was a Credentials issue. My iphone auto caplocks the first letter of the Username which was causing the issue. I would have expected ST to capture the log-in failure but I guess thatā€™s not the case.

Thank you @jody.albritton for giving me some ideas to try and get me looking at this again. What a stupid reason for it to not work for so long! Face --> Palm!

Has anyone gotten photos to FTP storage working?

Iā€™m using the universal device type with the generic ā€œphoto burstā€ app. As someone earlier noted, photoburst seems to be limited to only sending resulting shots to the ST (iOS in my case) app when the app is awake, limiting the utility.

I would like to have shots taken either by photoburst or when I click the ā€œtakeā€ tile in the universal device driver/app to go to my local FTP storage. Iā€™d rather not have them emailed, although my understanding from the various threads is that email attachments are working OK.

I have the ftp storage working OK with the standard foscam (non-ST) app, so expected (or hoped) that ST would trigger writes to the FTP storage as well ā€“ but it doesnā€™t.

1 Like

Hello,

I am new to smartthings. I tried to create the smartapp with the code in the first post and get this error. Does anyone know what i am missing?

No signature of method: script1425055393528599353312.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (script1425055393528599353312$_run_closure1) values: [script1425055393528599353312$_run_closure1@29030fc4] Possible solutions: getMetadata(), getState(), setState(java.lang.Object), metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure)

I just modified the st_foscam_universal/st_foscam_universal.groovy to include the alarm settings.

You can find it here

Will this arm the camera alarm even if the camera alarm setting in the native Foscam web is turned off?

it basically enables the alarm setting on the cameraā€¦ so when you click turn the alarm on, you can see the setting updated in the web interface as wellā€¦

Very Cool that this effort exists for this device. But wow this device code has a lot of preferences. Is there any documentation on how to fill this in.

If not perhaps a Readme.md file on the github project would be nice.

For example when asked for IP are you looking for the lan ip, how does an internal ip work since St is server based and therefore outside of my lan ?

What is expected in "HD Foscam Camera? (9xxx Series) - Type of Foscam Camera *"
I have an FI9826W not sure if I should enter just 9826, 9826W or something elseā€¦

I have tried so many foscam device code instance from this community and I can never figure out how to make any of them work. Perhaps I am just obtuse but I donā€™t really even know what to expect from most of these. Should I expect to see an image from my camera (seem like the point) are they only motion detection devices ?

I added the version from @reachashish and it doesnā€™t seem to do anything. There is a large blank tile which I assume is supposed to be the image.

Selecting ā€œTakeā€ changes to ā€œTakingā€ and never does anything, just remains takingā€¦

I would love to get my camera image working in ST so I can check on my pets from within the ST app, motion detection would be a nice plus.

1 Like

Itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve been back in here. I just wanted to pop in and see how things are going. Work and life have kept me pretty busy so I wasnā€™t able to update this more like I wanted but itā€™s nice to see people have continued work on this device type. I donā€™t think I will be continuing any more work on this device type unless the live video stream is enabled by SmartThings or I just get really bored one day.

@Ron Try using your mobile device to set the preferences instead of the developer page. Fields like the camera type should be boolean values but the website does not display them that way. For the IP, this device is passing the connection through the hub so it connect internally that way. I think there is a problem if you have a network setup with the 10.x.x.x subnet so that could be a problem. The image should show at the top when you take an image. Try starting with the original code if you canā€™t get it working. Post your logs if youā€™re still having issues after that.

Im also having this issue,
any advice from someone in the know? Cheers gents!

@robwhite2777 do you have any errors showing in the logs?

The latest app update has solved the picture storage issue on my OnePlus One without any changes on my end. I can now see the last series of pictures that were triggered by a motion detector and I feel more comfortable adding a few more Foscams to the system. Still hoping an official camera is supported by Smartthings as I am scared that the next app update could kill the functionality. At least itā€™s functional. Baby Steps.

1 Like

Hey all - I was able to get the mpeg streaming turned on for the substream, however I still havent figured out how to get it to show a live streaming video of the camera using this format in ios? Or is this not possible within the ST iOS app itself?

I saw where someone above said they got it working? Or was this for android only?

Thanks

Is this still the case for the ST iOS app? Does live streaming work if you get a Dropcam?

This device type is only for picture. No live stream for both ios or android yet.

However if you open up this url in your web browser (Safari on iOS) ā€“ http://.dyndns.org:8060/CGIStream.cgi?cmd=GetMJStream&usr=&pwd=*
it works like a charm, streaming and all!

Why canā€™t this just be put into a smart app? With the PTZ buttons added?

Thatā€™s a pretty valid question and there were a few posts regarding live streaming. I believe itā€™s a limitation on ST side. I use blue iris for recording and detection with ST. As for live streaming. SmartTiles smartapp is great with this.

1 Like