[OBSOLETE] Foscam Camera Device Handler Universal DTH with Motion Detection - SD (FI89xx), HD Ambarella FI98xx, FI99xx, Cx, Gx, Rx, Ex, Zx, Fosbaby

Actually try this, are you using a private LAN ip address? Instead use your public IP address and enable port forwarding on your router to your camera.

There are two separate mechanisms for communicating with the camera now depending upon whether it’s a Private IP address or Public IP address. For one user it appears going via the public IP address route is faster for him. But then again it may not have anything to do with your camera.

BTW with the latest Foscam Motion Monitor Alarm SmartApp I’ve put a delay for about 1 second before the panning starts.

This is something with the way SmartThings is storing images. @RBoy it is fairly random and happens with port forwards or internal.

1 Like

Thanks. I inclined to leave it as a private IP address rather than opening ports on my router for security purposes. Also, it is not only 1 camera this happens to me on it is all 4 cameras of the same make and model. So strange that I never had this issue on the v1 but I think one other member above said that they had the same issue on v1. Since I still get the Foscam native email with the images when the camera is armed it is not too much of a big deal. It is when it is disarmed and a door opens that I want to get the snapshot, but the Foscam will only record it my NAS unless the camera is armed. Of course I don’t want to arm the camera when we are home because I don’t want the camera alarm and email. Thanks!

I’ve had a ST v2 now for a week and am trying to use the Foscam IP Camera device type with Foscam Motion Alarm Monitor app. Should there be 1 instance of the app to monitor all cameras? Or 1 app instance for each camera?

EDIT:
Another question…I was getting the following error when trying to configure the Motion Alarm app:
5d754093-8eb4-4ca7-9a54-7475e91ca891 2:24:42 PM: error org.springframework.security.oauth2.provider.NoSuchClientException: No client with requested id: null @ line 472
5d754093-8eb4-4ca7-9a54-7475e91ca891 2:24:42 PM: trace Creating Access Token for call back
5d754093-8eb4-4ca7-9a54-7475e91ca891 2:24:42 PM: debug Selected Modes: null
5d754093-8eb4-4ca7-9a54-7475e91ca891 2:24:42 PM: debug Initialize with settings: [interval:5, cameras:[living room camera], picture:true, alarmSilent:false, enablePush:true, push:true]
5d754093-8eb4-4ca7-9a54-7475e91ca891 2:24:42 PM: debug installed called

I enabled oauth in the app from the ST web API and was able to save the app. Not sure what was going on there. I don’t even know what ‘oauth’ means, just pointing out what I did to make it work.

One instance of the app for all cameras.

Looks like your settings didn’t take, uninstall and reinstall the app and reconfigure it.

I got it working now with 2 cameras. This is great! Now I can have snapshots from any motion when I’m not home, and have it automatically turned off when I’m home.

This app started to make more sense to me when I watched the logs while clicking different buttons. Thanks for making this!

1 Like

@Tyler_Milam feedback here would be great, which options were not clear and how did the logs help? How can it be made easier for the user to understand?

1 Like

If I see “intruder” my first impression was to press the button to toggle an acknowledgement. But when doing this, it seems to turn the camera off…but it’s not actually turning off the camera, is it? It seems to stop monitoring.

In the 2nd screenshot, the camera displays “on”. I have another camera that is flagged “off”, but it is still working exactly like the first camera.

Is it possible to make the “refresh” button display a message in the app such as “updated configuration pushed to camera” (if that’s what refresh does)? Should this button be used any time a setting is changed on the device?

And for this next part, please excuse my ignorance in advance: under device preferences (edit device) I can toggle Motion Detect -> Take Picture or I can go in the Foscam Motion Alarm Monitor app and toggle Take picture if motion is detected. Should they both be set to ON if I want pictures taken? I’m particularly interested in how this works with scheduling settings based on presence status with AWAY/HOME/NIGHT.

I’ve been noticing that if I have Motion Detect -> Take Picture turned on in the device settings, it takes pictures 24/7 if motion is detected. If I turn it off, but have Take picture if motion is detected turned on in the App for away mode, it does not take pictures.

What are the correct settings between the device and app to not take pictures when in Home mode, and then turn on pictures and/or video when in Away mode? It is as if the camera is not getting updated settings from ST when I go from “Home” to “Away”. Anyone else have this problem?

I don’t want it doing motion detection recording 24/7…just when away from home.

Fundamental difference. The smart device feature for taking the picture utilizes the Foscam camera take picture feature (store on FTP/email etc).
The smart app take picture on motion takes a picture to show in your ST app.
No connection between the two, one is a camera feature and other is a smart app feature.

RBoy,
I have a feature request.

I currently use two apps to do the following:
a) When routine = home, Foscam alarms are set to off AND the cameras point up (preset 2).
b) When routine = away, Foscam alarms are set to on AND the cameras point to assigned positions (preset 1).
c) When routine = away, the cameras are used as motion detectors (using your 'Foscam Motion Alarm Monitor’ app).

Can you incorporate (a) and (b) to the ‘Foscam Motion Alarm Monitor’ app functionality?

Thanks,
Guillermo

On/Off on the device works as an on/off switch. How did I not see that before? It’s working perfectly now that I’m using the cameras with an on and off switch for different presence modes. Thanks @RBoy

I moved from insteon to SmartThings when the v2 hub was released. I had a couple insteon (foscam) cameras that I thought I’d lose integrated functionality with, but with the rboy apps and device I’ll actually get more functionality out of the cameras except for the live video stream of course.

I just installed the smart app and device yesterday and have been playing around with it. I’m still finding it a little confusing.

As far as the on/off switch where it shows the intruder alerts, is it something where you just leave it on all the time? Smart home monitor has no option to turn on the Foscam, so I’ve set the foscams to only monitor in away and night mode. But even when in home mode the switch shows on/green though it appears to not monitor anything.

Where do the pictures go? Sometimes I see pictures, sometimes I don’t. Is the history saved anywhere?

On the foscam thing ui, I see three presets buttons that don’t apply to my camera. Is there a way to remove those?

Thank you!

As far as the on/off switch where it shows the intruder alerts, is it something where you just leave it on all the time?

I found that the camera shows “on” and you click the button when it shows as intruder, that turns it off. If you have the cameras monitoring in away and night mode, make sure you don’t click that intruder button or your cameras will stop monitoring.

But even when in home mode the switch shows on/green though it appears to not monitor anything.
Maybe the app is just not refreshing? I’ve noticed this too but haven’t done enough testing to come up with anything reliably reproducible yet.

For now, you should make sure that you have your cameras set to switch on or off in the appropriate modes. Are they set up to switch off when you enter home mode?

As far as the pictures in the app…I have no idea and haven’t found that to be reliable. Rboy’s app reliably sends the command to take a picture, but Smartthings doesn’t reliably display it.

I’m using FTP from the device and that has been reliable. Not using the app at all.

RBoy - you may have this already in some form. Do you have a spec or use case so users can be more clear about what the functions are and how the specific UI controls should respond? I think that may be very helpful and get all the users on the same page.

I’m trying something new. In the goodbye and goodnight routine, which arms the smart home monitor, I will switch the foscams monitoring on instead of relying on the away and night modes. At least this way, i won’t see the green on and red intruder flags whenever I move around all day when I’m here. The red intruder is weird. It doesn’t just stay that way until you dismiss (no dismiss option like you discovered). It just turns back to green at some set time.

I activiated the ftp feature on the camera and now the the smartthings photo burst smart app seems to work more reliably. Probably a coincidence. I read there is a way to record video also? I’m not sure I can find that option anywhere.

Folks take a look at the very first post in this thread. I’ve tried to summarize all features and document workarounds and limitations there. Feedback on if it’s clear and concise would be great.

@deyaguille that functionality is a bit redundant to add, Foscam monitoring can be operated via a switch. So you can program the routines to turn on/off the monitoring in the routine itself.
However I get the point about the presets. Currently the auto preset functionality is provided for when the monitoring is turned off (to reset it after an alarm event and cruise is turned on).

I can look at providing a preset point for when the camera is turned on. My question being why do you want different presets for different modes? I didn’t understand the real world scenario here (a KEY aspect is keeping the apps simple, so I don’t want to add anything redundant to it).

@RBoy ,
Now I understand how the Foscam monitoring can be operated as a switch. It will be easy to control the monitoring with my home/away routines. Thanks.

A preset point for when the foscam monitoring is turned on will be helpful. All I want to do is to point the camera to the ceiling when we are home. And point the cameras to their regular locations when we are away.

1 Like

Added support to show an error message in the IDE Live Logging page if the user has entered an incorrect username and password for the camera.