Fortrezz watermeter?

Thanks, sorry i do see that now. You have been a big help thank you! This is a real nice platform for these device configuration problems. So at this point i will check back to see if a new DTH has been created.

1 Like

You can just add a post a question to that thread and the author will be automatically notified and other people who have been using the code will also see it and may be able to help. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi @lucy, as JD mentions, go ahead and post your questions in that thread. In summary, my latest DTH works with the new ST app and the old FortrezZ SmartApps. It shows values in watts (the old gpm) and kWh (total gallons used) since it’s based off of ST’s energy meter device handler. Since charting is done a whole lot differently in the new app, my DTH does not do charts like the old ST app, and it does not send the data to FortrezZ either.

It’s a very basic handler until I can get around to customizing it to show gpm vs watts and a few more things. It’s unlikely that FortrezZ will update their DTH’s for their devices since I’ve asked numerous times and have never received a reply from them, except from the original developer who does not do work for them anymore.

2 Likes

I’m guessing they won’t play nicely with SmartThings again since they are now owned by a competitor (EZLO). Glad to see you’ve created a DTH for this.

1 Like

There’s hope though. They can’t ignore the ST platform for too long, and if they can pull it off with Hubitat, there could be opportunities to port things to ST one day. They also own Centralite, but I haven’t seen too much progress their either.

I would have to respectfully disagree.

SmartThings hub owners are a very small percentage Of total worldwide Zwave users (remember that the Z wave alliance says about 2/3 of zwave devices in the US are professionally installed, not DIY), and the whole point of zwave from the very beginning was a promise to manufacturers that as long as they met the Z wave standard, their Devices would work with any certified Z wave hub and they would reduce their support costs significantly. They are not supposed to have to create special DTHs for different platforms.

Smartthings is the odd man out in this regard, and it’s annoying to both customers and device manufacturers. :rage: Just as one example, Aeotec’s own wallmote can support 16 different scenes with most hubs, but only 8 with smartthings, Even with a manufacturer supplied DTH.

Fibaro, Homeseer, and fortrezz have now all said that they design their devices to the Z wave specification, and if a platform requires something unique beyond that, someone else will have to create it.

Personally, as an engineer, I think that’s a perfectly reasonable position if it’s supported by the business model, and in this case it is.

We have not yet been told how the new platform is going to support hub connected devices, or if it will even be possible to use custom DTHs for zwave devices in 2022. It’s hard to see how it would be justified for any zwave manufacturer to invest in supporting the idiosyncrasies of smartthings platform at this point in time. The situation is the exact opposite of what the certification board has always promised.

So my own personal expectation would be that we will see fewer and fewer Z wave manufacturers Providing custom DTH’s and more and more to say “this is a Z wave certified device. If your hub requires something other than the specification, you will need to talk to them.“

And my own personal pie in the sky hope, with no evidence whatsoever, is that under the Aeotec partnership smartthings will finally provide a way in the native UI to set zwave associations and handle zwave central scenes. And if it can also handle multi endpoint devices, I think there will probably be no need for custom zwave DTHs any more other than personal aesthetics, and those may just have to be abandoned for better functionality and better stability. And if we get to that point, I suspect that all these problematic devices, including fortrezz, Fibaro, and Homeseer, will just work. Because they are all certified Z wave devices. The issue is the smartthings architecture, not the end device.

We will see.

2 Likes

HI johnconstantelo , I would love to get the DTH you created for the flow meters… I have two flow meters i use for solar fluid displacement control in my hydronic heating system. Currently i am able to control with out the use of the flow meters but it takes extra steps to regulate. I looked for other flow meters and even different flow meter interfaces to use same meters. I can adapt anything you created… I dont care if it is in psi, mpg, ft.lb. Can you direct me to the DTH i would very much appreciate that. Mark

Hi @lucy you’ll find the github link in that discussion JD provided a link to. It’s in post 396 (also linked in my post here).

I am in process of updating it this week to show proper units, but aside from that, it’s working perfectly fine with the new app.

1 Like

FYI, almost done:

When this is ready I’ll create a new discussion. I still have a few things to clean up.

1 Like

FYI:

1 Like

hi johnconstantelo, thank you for you time in creating the DTH for the flow meter… i was able to copy and install to smarthings. the problem im having is all parameters are indicating zero. and on the ST app it at the bottom of meter icon it shows “checking” it did change to flow and all other readings like the pic you sent out. any help would be great. mark

1 Like

hi johnconstantelo, Thanks for your time and effort on the DTH for the flow meter. I really appreciate it, the two flow meters i have play a key role in my solar hydronic heating system in the winter and a energy dump in the summer as i have to expend the heat generated. The DHT works perfect!! I cant thank you enough!! It is so nice to have a active community site with so many intelligent people giving the personal time to create solutions to these problems. Thanks again, my solar system is happy!!! mark

1 Like

Glad to have been able to help you out @lucy!

1 Like

I am still not able to get anything other than watt and temperature. In the history log, I see gallon use.

How to make it functional as it was with classic app ?

Hello to all, I have a problem with the new Fortrezz water meter DTH. It was working perfectly since i installed it until a month ago. The gpm parameter is not returning to zero, It changes to different readings for no reason and never returns to zero. “1.8gpm, 4.2gpm, 2.4gpm ect”. Any help would be great as this is a calculating parameter in my hydronic solar system. Thanks for taking the time!!

Have you tried power cycling the FMI, including removing the batteries? When was the last time the meter was reset (either through removing and readding it, or a reset manager app)?

Thank you for the reply. I tried all the above except " reset manager app" i dont know how to do that. I did look on where i installed the device handler to see of any way to clear the data and was not able to do that, If you could explain that i would appreciate it. Thanks again Mark!

The link to the reset SmartApp is at the bottom of this post:

Once installed, setting it up is easy:

This is not a fancy app, and there’s no support or updates for it, but it does work. To reset today, pick 31 for the day and a time a few minutes out from the time you are setting it up. I always reset mine monthly on the 1st.