Forced to put SmartThings on the shelf for now…

…due to the lack of decent documentation.

To be blunt, it’s been a huge frustration and time suck to try to work with the products and platform in its current state of readiness. I’m all for bleeding edge, and knew what I was getting into, but the lack of API documentation and developer documentation really is inexcusable for a product that is all about “connectedness”.

I’ve been exploring SmartThings primarily for personal use, though M2M and the internet of things is also my day job. I just can no longer expend the time trying to get stuff working through reverse engineering, trial and error, forum hunting, and so on.

Specifically, trying to create code/apps/UI for device types and for the Arduino shield is a confusing mess, and the lack of documentation for high level REST APIs to monitor and control devices makes it impossible to integrate with other apps.

I’ll be checking back from time to time to see if there’s been any progress.

Disappointed for sure.

Rick

@RickBullotta:

Guess that will delay “ThingWorx” certification / partnership…!?

Can you tell me more about ThingWorx and how you plan to integrate with SmartThings?

Are you planning the same process with WigWag and other platforms / ecosystems coming online?

…CP.
@ tgauchat

@CosmicPuppy - as of now, unrelated to ThingWorx from a commercial perspective. I’ve been looking at SmartThings initially for personal use in my home, of course integrated with the ThingWorx platform (for fun). Most of our certifications for interfaces have been focused on the industrial/commercial side of things (pun intended) rather than the consumer/home automation side. Not to say that we wouldn’t want to offer those connections in the future or that one of our partners/OEMs might not want to do it.

Thanks for the response, Rick.

Indeed, I am interested in (among many other topics): industrial/commercial applications of the SmartThings ecosystem.

The platform seems to have a good foundation and stability is better than I hoped.
Documentation and retail supply, etc., are major issues, but they could resolve very “suddenly”.

I’m am trying to take advantage of my status as a Kickstarter Backer / Developer / Maker to “get in on the ground floor” of entrepreneurial partnership opportunities in niche sectors.

ThingWorx seems pretty established in this regard, so does not really have to depend on a fledgling new vendor.

…CP.

I agree that the ST platform and devices show great promise, thus the reason I backed them! Just can’t commit the time to trial and error attempts to figure out the APIs and development model right now. I’m a fan of what they’re trying to do, and I’m sure they’ll eventually get it sorted out.

Can’t really argue the points made but they are valid. I would counter with ST has over $5mm in funding and some smart people on the team and they really are at stage one. Unless they massively screw up (like the dot-comes with the $800 office chairs), I think they will be a major player in the space. But, I’m an optimist by nature.

@solardave1 - I’m totally in agreement with you. I think they have a good vision and good team, and will make it happen. I like the HW, the strategy, and the concepts. Merely stating that, given the goal of engaging the maker and developer community, the APIs/docs might have gotten a bit higher priority. That said, I live startup life every day - and juggling the many competing forces for your limited resources is a big challenge! I’m sure they know what’s best for them. Again, I was only commenting that I have to “park” my efforts for now until things stabilize a bit - I’ll be back at it as soon as the APIs/docs are more fleshed out.

I sometimes feel the same way but from a hardware and network perspective.
I originally started playing with ST with an eye of using it for commercial clients but quickly realized it want at a maturity level hat would justify that type of application. Reminds me of Windows 3.11. When they get to Windows NT SP2, I’ll take another look.