[OBSOLETE] Flic button

@jaaks I remember that I needed to tweak the CoRE to use a 3 events system. However, I just made a change to the flic button handler to support the 3 buttons (as suggested by @JDRoberts) so it should now work. Just update the flic button handler (should be version 1.1.0), make sure you re-configure it and update it.

The mapping between action and button numbers are as follow, this will be very usefl if using CoRE smartApps:
Click event: Button#1 -> pushed
Double Click event: Button#2 -> pushed
Hold event Button#3 -> pushed

let me know!

2 Likes

It also means the flic should be able to be used with The official smart lighting feature. It recognizes buttons as a control method. :sunglasses:

1 Like

@jbisson I’m glad to report everything in working perfectly now! Both with CoRE and the official Smart Lighting SmartApp as @JDRoberts suggested.

As one of the backers of Flic on Indiegogo back in 2014 it’s great to finally see these things come to good use with SmartThings. The latency always bothered me when using IFTTT for the integration.

The delay is around one second now compared to 4-5 seconds with IFTTT and that makes these buttons much easier to live with.

Thanks for developing this!

3 Likes

Three Cheers to jbisson, jaaks, and JDRoberts on this one. I was able to take the instruction steps written by jbisson along with the troubleshooting done by jaaks and implement everything this evening and all is working perfectly! It sure did take me a while to piece it all together but with this and core I am up and running. Thanks for all the time put in on it. Also, thanks to JDRoberts for the IFTTT method and the suggestion to improve the Flic button handler. My Flics and I are now living happily! :smiley:

3 Likes

Hey @JDRoberts! I was just curious how you’re liking your Flic button a few months later. Have you tried a Lowe’s Iris button to compare against? I’m just needing something reliable for WAF that will turn on our bedstand lights in the middle of the night so she doesn’t have to reach for her phone.

Thanks!

Edit: or is there some other button on the market that I’m missing? Amazon IoT button via IFTTT? I’m trying to turn on z-wave dimming modules.

I still really like the flic buttons, but our household is unusual in that the buttons have to be dog – friendly so my service dog can use them also. The flic is a nice soft rubbery button, so he likes those. Although his new favorite is the harmony pop buttons which are much bigger. :sunglasses::dog:

There are quite a few button-type devices now, some wall mountable, some for tabletop or handheld. See the following list (this is a clickable link):

Thanks for this answer JDRoberts, I really appreciate it!

1 Like

I agree - the buttons should support z-wave or zigbee, or something else, to avoid being dependent of a mobile/internet/IFTTT etc. They have a really nice button, but it is difficult to base ones home automation on a button that may not work when it is needed :slight_smile:

We’ve found the flic buttons to be very reliable, moreso than some of the zigbee buttons. We have ours paired to a tablet which serves as our home automation center, so it’s always plugged in. There’s one tablet on each side of the house, which works well for us. Ours are definitely more reliable for us than the Fibaro zwave button, which we had to return.

Different things will work for different people. I don’t expect to see Flic change protocols any time soon, as they have a larger market opportunity with bluetooth. For example, Flic buttons now work with Wink.

It would definitely be nice to see some more zigbee buttons with this kind of rubbery material! Of course, it would also be nice if SmartThings turned on the hub’s bluetooth radio. :wink:

As mentioned above, you can look at the buttons/small remotes that do work with zwave/zigbee at the Buttons FAQ link. Choice is good. :sunglasses:

Yeah, the flic buttons may very well be very reliable, but it doesn’t help much if the mobile is off, if the internet is failing or IFTTT doesn’t have time to process your request or whatever the reasons are. I have several flic buttons myself, but they have all been put away again. Very sad actually, I really love their size and how they feel.

At the moment I am using the 3-button switch you also talk about here (FAQ: Full list of buttons and remotes confirmed to work with SmartThings). They works perfectly and have long range too.

However, as you also say, why have ST stil not support for bluetooth… :sunny:

1 Like

"By adding the WiFi-connected Flic Hub to your home, you’ll eliminate the need to pair Flic with your phone! Your Flics could be used by anyone, even when you are not around. "

I dont really want more hubs now, but Ill guess Im gonna need this one. Imagine all the usecases now :raised_hands:

1 Like

At our house, we already had a tablet on each side of the house that was set up as a home automation controller, so we just paired our flics to those, which solves the same issue. But the Wi-Fi hub from flic is a good idea for people who aren’t using tablets already.

Personally, I don’t have a problem with having multiple bridges/hubs as long as they’re all “set and forget” except the primary. I have a Lutron SmartBridge Pro, a Harmony Hub, a Philips Hue Bridge, a Logitech Pop Bridge, a Naran Prota Hub, a medical monitoring hub, a solar energy system bridge, an irrigation system bridge, and probably a couple of more I’m forgetting, and all of that is separate from the security system. But I hardly ever have to do anything with any of those after the initial set up. Maybe an occasional firmware update notice, but even those are pretty rare.

So as long as it’s stable, reliable, the cost is OK, and it has an MFOP ( maintenance free operating period) of at least six months, it doesn’t bother me. I know that’s not true of everyone, but my personal issue. Isn’t how many boxes are plugged into the network, it’s how much effort it is to maintain any one of them. :sunglasses:

Maybe I should rather put my old tablets to use then… sounds like great usage :grinning:

You have quite a hub collection, I dont really mind the hubs but Its just less trouble solving a problem , for me that is… but Im far from a computer wiz though :blush:

1 Like

@Brenttron are you going to keep spamming your referral link across all threads that mention the flic? Your at 4 posts at this point.

https://community.smartthings.com/search?q=ba33476293

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

I’m having trouble integrating the Flic button into SmartThings. I’ve got up to the section about the oauth but not ID appears in my box? SmartThings asks for my location every time I go onto it?

I’ve just bought my first flic and just got the integration with SmartThings running (thanks @jbisson). I’m using the button in my car so that I can open the garage door on my approach (eg, 1/2 mile away).

Whilst working through the steps, there were a few small things that tripped me up.

Step 2) Install it and configure one button
I didn’t understand what “Configure one button” meant, but what I did was;
My Devices
+New Device
Set Type=Flic Button
Set Name, Location… and Hub
Set Device Network ID to 1

Step 9 Curl
On Windows DOS prompt, the single quotes don’t work, has to be double "

Step 10
Whilst all the previous steps worked with “https://graph.api.smartthings.com”, this step caused a “Forbidden Error (403)”, but when I used the URL returned in Step 9, “https://graph-eu01-euwest1.api.smartthings.com:443” it worked.I think this was hinted at in previous replies. Incidentally, there’s a typo in Step 10 where “ttps:” should be “https:”

Many thanks!

1 Like

@DaveStoneHub Thanks for the feedback. I’ve edited my original post with your suggestion !!!

1 Like

To say I’m a novice at these sort of things is an understatement and I’m a bit stupid in general but please help… I’ve had another attempt at trying to link up a Flic button. Got as far as step 9 but all I get is the following response: curl: (60) SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate
More details here: https://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html

curl failed to verify the legitimacy of the server and therefore could not
establish a secure connection to it. To learn more about this situation and
how to fix it, please visit the web page mentioned above.
Took me ages to try and figure out how to get Curl working in some form and I guess it’s still incorrect :frowning: It’s just annoying me that I’ve got two single flic light buttons and all they can do is turn on and off 2 Phillips lights. This integration seemed perfect but it’s so far the most difficult I’ve encountered since owning Smartthings.

I can’t help you with the direct method, but have you considered just using IFTTT? It works very well with flic and then you can do anything you can do with smartthings. We use this at our house all the time. :sunglasses:

1 Like