Firmware update 14.22

My zigbee are fine, as well as my zwave. In this case I knew I had a switch failing, but I figured I take care of it tonight when I had time to mess with ST stuff. Boy was I wrong.

I have multiple tickets with SmartThings on this.

After some of the platform updates, my ZigBee devices stopped reporting the state (motion, open/close) but keep reporting battery and temp. Itā€™s bizarre. I have to reboot the hub and the ZigBee devices. No one has yet to provide an explanation.

3 Likes

Yup, power cycle the devices always bring them back up, but is annoying, whatever stops them.

So, wait. Wait. WAIT.

• You decide you need to push an update with little to no notice.
  • You acknowledge that this update could mess with things that happen upon arrival/departure.
  • You know that people use this system for granting access to their home(s) based upon arrival/departure.

Iā€™d say I hope that this was some sort of earth-shattering security patch, but I have a hard time believing that a 0-day in the hub would be more enticing to burglars than garage doors and deadbolts randomly popping open on empty houses.

I try not to fall in with the torch and pitchfork crowd but this one was just irresponsible, guys.

@slagle/@jody.albritton - Can you talk about why the presence flap was necessary? Can this be avoided for future emergency patches? Iā€™m having a really hard time swallowing this one.

That said, kudos for letting us know a patch was coming before it was deployed. Thatā€™s progress!

EDIT: Oh, and the obligatory: ā€œRelease notes?ā€

5 Likes

After all the complaining, did anyone actually experience a ā€˜mode/presence flapā€™ and have a door/garage unlock/open?

The ā€˜Complainingā€™ is more about lack of consistent disciplined process than the fact that an update came out. WE WANT updates, only with updates will fixes come. But come onā€¦ some consistent professionalism would be helpful and instill confidence.

1 Like

Yes. Except the presence flap happened before the complaining, not after.

Hub update happened at 11:33am today. Log shows both of our presence sensors leaving and arriving:

2 Likes

Same here, but I also got bonus points. Several of my zigbee devices went down and never came back:

Particularly, considering that it happened the day after the mysterious back-end cockup that required manual hard reset of the hub. And this is called home automation? Iā€™m wasting more time babysitting this ā€œsmartā€ thing than it saves me turning my lights on and off for me. :smile:

4 Likes

Anyone put any money into the PINE64? OpenHAB anyone?

@btk looking into this. @slagle is getting release notes.

3 Likes

There was a hotfix that was issued to address hubs not coming back up after a reboot. This hotfix prevented further disruption but had the possible side effect of confusing presence sensors. Expect to see another post this week from someone directly involved.

6 Likes

@jodyalbritton Do you know if there is going to be an update on adding doors (e.g. garage doors) that was available in v1? I have one garage door wired and have another relay module waiting and not used.

Thanks for the update on 14.22. Things do seem a bit more stable right now.

Are you referring to using a multi sense as a tilt meter to detect if a garage door is open/closed? If so, you still can, itā€™s just not user friendly any more. You have to go into the IDE and change the device type from ā€œSmartSense Multiā€ to ā€œSmartSense Garage Door Multi.ā€ As far as I can tell you can no longer do it in the mobile app by itself, but once itā€™s changed in the IDE it will show up as a Garage Door in the app.

1 Like

There is even a better device type in the templates called ā€˜SmartSense Garage Door Sensor Buttonā€™ that makes the garage door show even in SHM.

Thanks @jodyalbritton for following up on this. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m comfortable with the emergency roll-out process for a non-security fix, but super happy to see the high priority placed on the ā€œrequires manual resetā€ issue.

2 Likes

You and @Vader - Thank you. I was hesitant to add more post v2, but I will give it a shot. I love these forums.

@SBDOBRESCU, how do you get the Garage Door to show up on SHM?. I changed the multi sensor to ā€œSmartSense Garage Door Sensor Buttonā€ but it does not seem to be acting any differently.

Did you reboot the hub after changing the device type? It should show in SHM. Take that back. It doesnā€™t matter in SHM, any contact sensor will show there. I meant you can pick it in the routines under the garage door section.

This is SHM - custom notification for my garage door sensor, but this could use any device type.

Isnā€™t it right here in the mobile app itself under the device setttings? I never had to go into the IDE to toggle the device type. How to set up the SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor as a garage door open/closed sensor