Firmware KILLED Zigbee

Come on guys. I get it, OP came with a certain tone, but Honestly if I had 30+ devices not working, I’d be frustrated too, to say the least. This person kinda got jumped on quickly, not to say that any of the comments were or were not valid. I myself have posted comments in an aggressive tone(may or may not have had profanity :grin:) and you get a response in the same tone it was presented. We should take a step back and look at both sides. Definitely not the first rant, and won’t be the last. Maybe we need a category for rants lol.

1 Like

He would probably get away after the second post. Unfortunately there were multiple posts of the same tone on a ST fanboys forum so yeah…
A rant category? That sounds like a war zone :smile:

2 Likes

I think the ST Hub 2 should be back in beta.

When I had an issue and lost all my ZigBee devices, I re-paired each one without ever deleting them and that brought them back with all automations still in tact. It might be worth a try.

2 Likes

Yes, you went full lemonade.

Never go full lemonade.

5 Likes

Yes well I am here becuase Samsung have just deployed a firmward update and they have broken the ability of the ENTIRE ST PLATFORM GLOBALLY to add new devices.

This is actually not acceptible. They should give us the option to rollback our firmware. How dare they just taken such a brazen approach to maintaining the funcationality of their products.

Yes, I am pissed off.

1 Like

You are replying to a topic which is two years old, so a lot of things have changed in that time.

I already responded to you in the other, more current topic where you posted, but it wasn’t hub firmware, it was probably a cloudside change. And in neither case can you roll it back.

It’s very frustrating, but it’s just part of how smartthings has always operated. Every platform has pluses and minuses, and the inability to delay or defer changes is definitely one of the minuses for smartthings. If that’s a priority for you, there are other competitor platforms that do offer that feature. I wish smartthings did, but after six years of people complaining about it And nothing changing, it doesn’t look like they are ever going to.

Their terms of service do not guarantee any level of reliability or any scheduled lifetime for any feature, not even the hub. In this case, it looks like they just broke it by accident, but they could kill the service intentionally at any time if they wanted.

Samsung Account

We’re always trying to improve the Services, so they may change over time. We may suspend or discontinue any part of the Services, or we may introduce new features or impose limits on certain features or restrict access to parts or all of the Services. In some cases, the changes we make to the Services may cause older hardware devices, third party services, software configurations or setups to no longer work with the Services, and you may be required to upgrade or change these devices, services, configurations or setups in order to continue using the Services. We’ll try to give you notice when we make a material change to the Services that would adversely affect you, but this isn’t always practical. Similarly, we reserve the right to remove any Content (including any SmartApps or device or external service connections provided by SmartThings or by third parties) from the Services at any time, for any reason (including, but not limited to, if someone alleges you contributed that Content in violation of these Terms), in our sole discretion, and without notice.

Again, other competitors have other terms if those issues are important to you. (They are to me, which is why I run all my critical Home Automation on a different platform which does require me to actively consent each time before an update is made.)

So, yes, I feel your pain. And I agree that it sucks. But it’s part of their design/business philosophy and it’s not likely to change. Which means we are not protected from those unintended errors. Whether the other benefits that smartthings has (and there are many) Offers you personally enough of a value proposition to continue is something that only you can decide.

I still find that smartthings does convenience notifications, like a reminder that the guestroom window was left open, rain is expected, and the guest is not home, much better than anything else in its price range so I do use it for that. But not for anything critical.

4 Likes