Fireplace icon?

Anyone have a good fireplace icon for the smartthings mobile app? I have a few fireplaces as things and would like a good icon…

I just used the outdoor grill icon for mine.

My fireplace is only 6 volts at the switch. How did you automate that?

It was actually quite easy. This is what you need to buy - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00913ATFI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then read the instructions on the first review of the item from Amazon. I will paste down below here for convenience;

I have made this a 5-star “I LOVE IT” since I have been able to get the switch to actually work with my GE45600/45601 secondary remote controllers. Turned out this worked fine once I reset the secondary networks to receive a full new network settings from primary. That took a bit of doing, as we have mutliple table top secondary controllers, but once done, it works fine on the primary or secondary controllers, and within scenes: it’s all good.

I bought this module as an override switch on my Gas Fireplace since family sometimes leaves on the fireplace too long. With Z-Wave I can force the fireplace OFF when it’s been on 90 mins; I can turn it on early in the day to kick-start housewarming; I can use it in any scenes or with other special OFF / ON events.

As a low voltage (LV) switch device, these switches aren’t so simple to ZXWave-ify as other switches because there is no 120V power wire involved with the switch. The Z-Wave part needs that power to work. This module has three control segments to segregate: 1) 120V Z-Wave/Switch power; 2) LV relay contact switch; 3) External switch override. It can operate totally separate from Z-Wave; totally separate from the wall switch, or any combination of the two. Nifty. That means once installed, Wall Switch can turn ON or OFF the device but so can Z-Wave. And Z-Wave gets preference. So even if Wall Switch is ON, Z-Wave can shut it off. But if Wall Switch is already in OFF position, and Z-Wave turns it ON, wall switch can still turn it OFF, by turning it ON, then OFF. Same in reverse: can override to ON, by turning it OFF, then ON.

You won’t be able to install this device into your existing wall switch location (unless you can easily get a 120V lead up there from another source. Wire in place now is a low voltage (LV) feed, with nothing to power and control the Z-Wave. I also decided to install my new device in a totally passive manner, so I could swap it back to original state easily later if desired. (Useful for tenants who aren’t owners, or owner like me might not want Z-Wave control there later.) Anyway: seamlessly passive install without altering existing fireplace or wiring at all. Since switch to fireplace control valve is via spade lugs, I replicated M and F spade lugs to interconnect into my replacement wires.

That meant going to Home Depot for five items: A) a little baggie of 6 Male Spade Lugs; B) baggie of 6 Female Spade Lugs; C) a basic plastic outlet box; D) One 3’ Black extension cord to use as 120V E) one 6’ white extension cord to use as LV replacement wires-- could also use LV doorbell/ heater wire etc if you have on hand.

Quick Start Summary Steps:
o Mount the module switch in a standard outlet box laid under fireplace in air intake area
o Assumes you have an available 120V outlet adjacent to/under your fireplace unit
o Thread black 120V Power cord out one side of the outlet box; white LV wires out the other side of box
o Power the Z-Wave Switch-- pins 1+2; ( REMOVE jumper from pin 1 to pin 3 relay control )
o 1st LV two-wire set with female spade lugs for pin 3+4 to plug onto your original fireplace switch
o 2nd LV two-wire set with male spade lugs for pin 5+6 - ext switch onto your original spade lugs
o Plug in to power; Enroll on Z-Wave system.
o Three options to control Fireplace: Module button = manual on/off; Z-Wave = on/off; Wall switch = on/off

More Detailed Steps Specific to Fireplace use
x Draw a diagram of existing connections before you disconnect anything. Be sure you know which are 120V and which LV connections.
x Note: Fixture module usually ships with jumper wire from pin 1 (Line) to pin 3 (Relay Load). REMOVE this jumper for low voltage (fireplace) use!
x .
x Prepare Extension cords:
x Black Ext Cord will become our 120V Switch power cord. Cut outlets end off the Black extension cord. Leave plug intact
x White Ext Cord will become two separate LV switch and load lines. Cut cord in half; then cut off both plug and outlets
x We now have two sets of LV white wires; one we’ll call “1st wire” (Relay Load); other we’ll call “2nd wire” (External Switch)
x Mark the 2nd wire in some way to easily tell the two apart on both ends. ( I suggest green stripes with Sharpee on both ends, ~ 3" (7 cm) from end of wire.)
x .
x Prepare Outlet Box
x Punch out plugs on both sides of outlet box, so we can feed 120V and LV wires into the box.
x Feed Black cord into one side of outlet box; attach pins 1 + 2 “Line” and “Neutral” on module. L=usually white; N=usu black.
x Feed LV white wires into other side of outlet box. Be sure you can tell them apart… which is relay (pins 3+4) and switch (P 5+6)
x .
x Prepare New Relay Module
x Attach (1st plain) wire to pins 3 + 4 Relay Load connectors on the module – be sure jumper from (pin 1- L) to (pin 3 - Relay) is REMOVED first!
x Attach (2nd wire you marked) to the pins 5 + 6,
x .
x Attach Spade Lugs
x On the other end of the white wires, we’ll attach the spade lug parts.
x On 1st (plain) wire, strip wire ~3/8" (~.5 cm); crimp on (and/or solder) new female spade lugs
x On 2nd (green-stripe/marked) wire, strip wire ~3/8" (~.5 cm); crimp on (and/or solder) new male spade lugs
x On fireplace control switch, locate and remove the two existing spade lug connections going to switch.
x Connect your new female spade lugs (1st wire - plain) to the original place you had removed from the fireplace control unit.
x Re-connect the original switch-wire female spade connections to your new male spade lugs (2nd wire - marked/green stripes)
x .
x Close up the Outlet box and Test
x Switch plate cover comes with the module. Screw switch into outlet box; screw on switchplate cover
x Plug in black cord to power. You should see switch module blink on its blue light
x Go through standard Z-Wave enrollment procedure for your system
x Choose a place to place the outlet box.
x All done!

There are a lot of things that are really great about this. First, I can control my fireplace’s via Alexa. Second, it’s actually safer. I know people on here love to say ‘you are nuts to hook your fireplace up to smartthings, that’s so unsafe’ blah blah blah. Here’s what I did with mine;

Used CoRE pistons to do the following;
Send myself and my wife a text/push notification every time a fireplace is turned on
Audio announce which fireplace has been turned on over our notification speakers
Set a timer so that the fireplace is automatically turned off after 1 hour of use. (Adjustable of course)
I have a motion sensor with thermometer in each room with the fireplace and once a room the room the fireplace is in hits a certain temperature, it turns off the fireplace.

Perfect, thanks @Matthew_Freestone. Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like I could put this in a electrical box under the fireplace and leave the switch wired in the “Single Switch w/ external power source” set up. Does that sound right?

Ha! Can I say it? I remember there was a post somewhere where you can set the parameters of this z-wave switch for the Timer. Maybe @Mike_Maxwell was the one mentioned this? It’s better to go this route since it’s not depending on your Internet or ST cloud.

1 Like

Very cool, updated and added the 60 minute timer.

1 Like

By the way, I should select Toggle NO correct? For use with a fireplace that includes a wall switch?

correct, but it will work in with either setting, this will help you if you mounted the toggle up side down…