Fire Tablet Setup Script for ActionTiles [BETA UPDATE 12-4-18]

I got a pack of three on prime day. Only one of them accepted the script correctly…on the other ones it still installed Google Play (but didn’t delete Amazon apps) and the they both updated to 5.6.

I have action tiles running on all 3 (via kiosk browser) but after sometime I end up on action tiles home page (have to click on app login) and open the dashboard.

Does anyone know how to keep it on the dashboard (without having it go back to action tile home page?)

Thanks

Set your startup page to the FULL URL of the Panel (not just https://app.actiontiles.com).

Visit your Panel in any browser and copy the full URL from the address bar. Every Panel has a unique URL.

e.g., https://app.actiontiles.com/panel/7dab37f2-7fb8-4122-83d5-90d20505aa2e

2 Likes

I have about 45 projects in various stages of completion. I do not work on a project if I don’t feel like it, because the result will not be as I intended. This Action Tiles project just got bumped up because I like what Action Tiles can do, and Amazon had a sale on Fire HD 8 tablets. for $59.99 (they are back at $89.99 because the sale ended)

Even my “you and your d*mn Smart House” wife likes the idea of Action Tiles. She is slowly coming around to the Dark Side.

OK I got got the Fire today. Time to figure out how to load Action Tiles and remove all the Amazon junk like the lock screen with suggested stuff I don’t want. I got the model with the ads. The one without was not available. Imagine that…

2 Likes

I read somewhere on the intarwebs that someone bought a Fire HD 8 tablet with ads, and got on their tablet and chatted with Amazon and had the ads removed. To make a long story short, I had my ads removed by telling them there was no HD 8 available at that time without ads. I called it highway robbery to charge to remove ads I had no control over of opting out at time of purchase. My wife says my middle name should be “Slick”

Now on to learn Action Tiles. I have it loaded using Silk and it recognizes all my things.

1 Like

Action Tiles is intuitive once you figure out panels and tiles. Panels are like a room and the tiles are what you put in that room. . All my Things are visible. This app is amazing! I wish they would accept PayPal.

1 Like

Stripe is providing us excellent service, so we are loyal customers.

We can arrange PayPal payments upon request if you are unable to pay via a Stripe compatible credit card.

Never hesitate to contact Support@ActionTiles.com

I just ordered 5 brand new Fire HD 10’s (on sale until 9pm pst).

What version are they shipped with now and how would I know before attempting to run the script?

1 Like

Does anyone know if the current Fire HD tablets being shipped are OS 5.4.0.0?

I’d like to find out before attempting to run this script.

Thanks

Depends, I’ve ordered some at the same time and 1 had an older os version and 2 with a more recent version but still wasn’t the current.

You can always choose not to connect to wifi and just look in settings to see what version you have.

2 Likes

Will this script work if it isn’t 5.4.0.0?

Trying to decide whether to just pay the 15 bucks to take ads off and let it update and do its thing or run this script.

I really don’t like the idea of Amazon having so much control over something I purchased. Almost feels like they still “own” the device and I’m just renting it.

I notice on one of my other tablets, Amazon downloaded “The Washington Post” to my tablet. When looking under my digital purchases, “The Washington Post” came up as something I ordered AFTER I opted out of the “special offers/ads”. I thought it was bizarre that I all the sudden started receiving push notifications from that “news” agency. :roll_eyes:

The “do”.

Why do you think they sell a 10" tablet for $99 instead of the $300 to $800 cost for an iPad?

There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch. (TANSTAFL).

1 Like

Glad you hear me!

So can Amazon track what people do on their tablets?

Yes… But so does Google.

Read the Terms of Use when you login to your Tablet the first time; or on one of the System Settings pages.

How far do you think it goes in terms of what they see?

Is there anything I can do? VPN?

I don’t know if anyone uses Amex as a CC but if you do and looking to buy a fire tablet you can get the Fire 8 for $20

1 Like

How do I tell when step 1 in the utility is done?

Mine has been stuck on ‘Waiting for Tablet’ for 10 minutes or so.

Waiting for tablet usually means the script hasn’t detected the tablet being in developer mode… Did you do all the setup steps on the tablet itself to ensure the tablet is indeed ready for sideloading?

1 Like

Are they any plans on getting the script updated for fire OS 6?

Does anyone have the apk file for lannouncer? Tried it from the site but my fire 10 says can’t open file.

Fire 7 tablets are only $49. That is cheap enough to put one in every room. of the house

1 Like