SmartThings Community

Fire Tablet Setup Script for ActionTiles [BETA UPDATE 12-4-18]

dashboardhardware
actiontiles
fireos

(Aaron) #170

Not if you are using the fully motion detection.

That’s what I was afraid of. I was even looking at auto input for tasker to see if I can force that off.

(Joshua Lyon (SharpTools.io Dashboard)) #172

As long as your camera either has an MJPG stream or snapshot stream, it’s really easy. All you have to do is create a new Media item and provide the URL to the MJPG or snapshot stream from your camera.

What kind of cameras are you trying to load up?

A lot of people use the iSpy Camera Database to determine the proper media URL:
https://www.ispyconnect.com/sources.aspx

(Eric) #173

I’ll get my Foscam R4 tomorrow (my first security cam). I was going to try all the different free NVR software packages to see which one I liked the best (Blue Iris, Genius Vision, Sighthound)

(Joshua Lyon (SharpTools.io Dashboard)) #174

I’m using Blue Iris with my cameras and my SharpTools.io dashboard and it works well. I tried Sighthound and while it was super impressive, it was also used a ton of CPU resources. Recent versions of Blue Iris support hardware transcoding and it works really well with relatively low cost modern Intel CPUs.

We’re a bit off topic from the original post about the setup script though, so perhaps we should continue the discussion in another thread or at https://community.sharptools.io :smiley:

(Eric) #175

Quick question…how do you get Blue Iris to find a wireless cam? It works with ethernet, but I don’t know how to set it up for wifi.

(gfbuyer) #176

Wow ! Just got a Fire 8 with Alexa, should not have ads as I paid extra. I had seen this thread prior to ordering and did not read the whole thing. My optimistic self figured I would get the Fire and within a few minutes be good to go ! Planning to mount this to the wall in a permanently powered fashion.

What I want is:

• Fully kiosk
  • Actiontiles
  • Motion sensor enabled to bring up the dashboard when someone is nearby
  • Ability to enable Alexa at times
  • Ability to add other google apps (arlo, Neato, hue, etc)

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on how I would need to proceed to set this up manually or point me to a link with a procedure to follow ? I have do not use PC’s so I only have Mac’s around the house so the script is not an option.

Any help is appreciated !

(gfbuyer) #177

I ended up following this for setup of the Google pieces

Curious if anyone has a handy link for the removal of the Amazon app’s and other related actions performed by the script ?

(Bryan) #178

This batch file uses adb for app removal. I have not done this, but you can load adb on your Mac and then you might be able to run the commands manually. Look at the code in the batch file and execute all the steps manually.

(MacTechGenius) #179

Just ordered the tablet…does the method still work? I am probably going to have to use an emulator (since I am all Mac) to run the zip file.

Also, does this remove the special offer Amazon adverts?

(Joe) #180

I used it within the past week for two tablets. Worked like a charm and removed ads.

(MacTechGenius) #181

Thanks for the info @joems

And if I cover the camera…does the walk up wake stop working? If so, what are my other options? Can I simply tap the screen (without unlocking) to view action tiles?

(Aaron) #182

Yes, as long as you set it to dim and stay powered on when power is applied.

(MacTechGenius) #183

I am unable to get my Trendnet Camera to display on my Amazon Fire with ActionTiles (Kiosk Browser) but it works on my Mac. Any idea?
My link: http://admin:pwd@10.0.1.6/streaming/channels/1/httppreview​

(Mark) #184

The browser probably won’t let you send the username and password like that.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #185

The user@password:address format is blocked by Chrome with absolutely no override option.
But try Firefox or Opera perhaps.

Or you have to transcode through something like Blue Iris or TinyCam Pro.

(MacTechGenius) #186

I got it working by loading it on chrome and manually entering the user name and password (so the login got cached) and as long as the action tile dashboard remains open…it seems to work!

(MacTechGenius) #187

Any issues with leaving the Fire Tablet Screen on 24/7…I am having the screen load a black image…so the backlight stays on until I tap it. Hopefully the backlight won’t die anytime soon??

(Mark) #188

Only issue I can think of is you’ll need to keep it constantly powered.

And yes, maybe at some point the screen will die, it’s only a $40 tablet.

But plenty of people have been using it that way, as described in other threads, and we’re getting a bit off topic on this one, aren’t we?

(Aaron) #189

Mines been on for 4 months so far, so good.