Fire Tablet Setup Script for ActionTiles [BETA UPDATE 12-4-18]

Im using Fully Kiosk, The screen always on option under developer settings is set to on. The screen Always on in Fully Kiosk was not checked as I am using the dimming option with the screen coming alive when the camera sees movement.
Perhaps that’s the problem? In that the only option that stops it locking is screen on 24/7

Thanks for the script, but just to let you know, it installed launcher and google, but failed on everything else. New fire 10 2017 with Alexa.

I have two HD8s that have been in use, aka on 100%, for the past 7 or 8 months without an issue, both have the “keep screen on” option set. One is on 24/7 at full brightness, the other dims after 10 minutes and turns bright with movement (actually camera lighting changes) or touch. The lock screen never shows except when I take the device off power.

2 Likes

Options 1 and 2 failed on my last 3 tablets. Can’t get the ads off the lock screen now.

Will call Amazon and request they remove them. Up to 9 Fire Tablets now all running ActionTiles and Fully and working great. Also have an iPad and a couple of off brand Tablets doing the same.

Half of them are always on with dim at black (which you can clearly see that they are on) the other half are sleep until needed.

6 wall mounted!

1 Like

Many thanks!
This worked flawlessly on an HD8 I picked up Monday. Question I have is if I decide to do an HD10 as a second unit, is there a way to keep hands free Alexa? or will this script remove that?

1 Like

Hello all, just wanted to give some insight into my experience getting this set up on my device.

I purchased an Amazon Fire 7 7th Generation that came with Fire OS 5.6 installed. Before ever seeing this thread, I set up my tablet and upgraded the OS further to 5.6.1.

I then came across this thread and wanted desperately to strip out the Amazon bloat. But on 5.6+, it wasn’t possible. I knew the only way I could do this was to downgrade the OS and risk bricking the device – a risk I was willing to take for ~$35.

First I did a complete factory reset on my device, and went through the setup again, this time following the instructions described in the post to input a bogus wifi password and then skipping the wifi setup.

Once the device was booted up, I enabled developer mode, enabled ADB debugging and enabled installation of unsigned apps. I then connected the tablet to my Mac to confirm it showed up in ADB; then turned off the device completely (held down the power button for 20 seconds), and booted into recovery (Volume Down and Power at the same time).

Once in recovery, I used the volume buttons to navigate down to the option to update over ADB. The device was now in a state waiting for the new/old OS bin to be loaded.

I used this link to download Fire OS 5.4 directly from Amazon:
https://fireos-tablet-src.s3.amazonaws.com/T0d9JQEVMMnbK0kIAcFJMOfUqo/update-kindle-55.5.7.9_user_579225620.bin

In regard to ADB, I actually use Platform Tools, which just runs from a file I unzipped on my desktop:

Using ADB, I sideloaded the bin via the command line. Here was my command line history after I unzipped Platform Tools onto my desktop:

cd /Users/YourUserName/Desktop/platform-tools
./adb sideload update-kindle-55.5.7.9_user_579225620.bin

This took a while, but it successfully downgraded the OS to 5.4, which allowed me to start stripping away the Amazon bloat. BONUS: I did not brick my device.

Once the tablet was rebooted, I was able to pull apart @aron7676’s bat and repurpose the command lines for my ADB implementation. I’m typing this out by memory, so I hope I don’t mess up any of the syntax. For example, when you get to the shell commands, I don’t recall if I had to include PM. You can try them with, and if you get an error, try them without.

./adb shell
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.settings.systemupdates
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.device.software.ota
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.kindle.otter.oobe.forced.ota
pm clear --user 0 com.amazon.device.software.ota
pm clear --user 0 com.amazon.kindle.otter.oobe.forced.ota
pm clear --user 0 com.amazon.kindle.kso
pm uninstall -k -user 0 com.amazon.kindle.kso
exit
./adb reboot
./adb shell
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.kindle
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.audible.application.kindle
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.tahoe
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.platform
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.client.metrics
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.goodreads.kindle
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.csapp
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.cloud9
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.avod
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.weather
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.h2settingsfortablet
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.windowshop
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.ags.app
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.mp3
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.photos.importer
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.zico
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.calculator
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.email
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.contacts
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.dee.app
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.kindle.cms
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.dp.fbcontacts
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.calendar
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.venezia
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.photos
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.deskclock
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.kindle.personal_video
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.goodreads.kindle
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.unifiedsharegoodreads
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.downloads.iu
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.music
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.kindle.unifiedSearch
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.webapp
pm uninstall -k --user 0 org.mopria.printplugin
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.geo.client.maps

The next step removes the same apps for another account. You may see “Failure - not installed for 10” This is fine, and you can ignore it. It means the app is already uninstalled from the selected account.

pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.kindle
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.audible.application.kindle
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.tahoe
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.platform
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.client.metrics
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.goodreads.kindle
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.csapp
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.cloud9
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.avod
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.weather
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.h2settingsfortablet
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.windowshop
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.ags.app
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.mp3
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.photos.importer
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.zico
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.calculator
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.android.email
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.android.contacts
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.dee.app
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.kindle.cms
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.dp.fbcontacts
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.android.calendar
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.venezia
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.photos
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.android.deskclock
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.kindle.personal_video
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.goodreads.kindle
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.unifiedsharegoodreads
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.android.downloads.iu
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.android.music
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.kindle.unifiedSearch
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.webapp
pm uninstall -k --user 10 org.mopria.printplugin
pm uninstall -k --user 10 com.amazon.geo.client.maps

There were some other packages I chose to remove as well. It’s really up to you to look at the list of installed packages and make a call whether you think it’s safe to remove – I Googled a number of them to be sure I wasn’t removing something that could brick the device or otherwise make it unusable.

The next step is to install a number of APKs. To do this, I dropped the APK files from @aron7676’s zip into a directory called “apps” on my desktop.

shell settings put secure install_non_market_apps 1
exit
./adb install /Users/YourUserName/Desktop/apps/1GAM.apk
./adb install /Users/YourUserName/Desktop/apps/2GAM.apk
./adb install /Users/YourUserName/Desktop/apps/3GAM.apk
./adb install /Users/YourUserName/Desktop/apps/4GAM.apk
./adb install /Users/YourUserName/Desktop/apps/FireChrome.apk
./adb install /Users/YourUserName/Desktop/apps/6GAM.apk
./adb install /Users/YourUserName/Desktop/apps/7GAM.apk
./adb wait-for-device
./adb reboot
./adb install /Users/YourUserName/Desktop/apps/LauncherHijackV3.apk
./adb install /Users/YourUserName/Desktop/apps/Nova.apk
./adb install -r -d /Users/YourUserName/Desktop/apps/com.amazon.firelauncher.apk

We now have to move the appwidget.sh file from the root of @aron7676’s zip to a directory on the desktop; I just pasted it into the same “apps” directory I was already using.

./adb push /Users/YourUserName/Desktop/apps/appwidget.sh /storage/sdcard0/
./adb shell
appwidget grantbind --package com.teslacoilsw.launcher --user 0
am start -a android.settings.ACCESSIBILITY_SETTINGS

Accessibility Settings will now open on the tablet. Tap to enable “To detect home button press” at the bottom of the list and then return to the terminal.

monkey -p com.baronkiko.launcherhijack -c android.intent.category.LAUNCHER 1
exit
./adb wait-for-device
./adb install /Users/YourUserName/Desktop/apps/Fully_kiosk_browser_v1.21.1.apk
./adb wait-for-device
./adb install /Users/YourUserName/Desktop/apps/LANnouncer_v9.9.11.apk
./adb wait-for-device
./adb shell
settings put global stay_on_while_plugged_in 1
exit
./adb wait-for-device
./adb reboot

3 Likes

Great writeup, thanks!

I didn’t think this would help, as I figured that the recovery partition would have already been overwritten with the latest - locked down - OS image.

1 Like

I apologize if I’m just dense, but I couldn’t find the following solutions to a few issues I had. So I wanted to put the info out there incase others have run into the same.

It took some trial and error to figure out how to activate Alexa after this script ran. so I figured id assist by giving some guidance. once you have completed the script follow the steps below.

1. Open Launcher Hijack V3
  2. Click the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner
  3. Uncheck Hide System Apps
  4. Select Fire Launcher
  5. Hit the home button and complete the tutorial.
  6. Once complete go through the above steps again, only this time you will check the Hide System Apps box and select Nova Launcher.

You now have Alexa

Also anyone interested in keeping the physical Alexa app and have run into the inability to install it from the Play store then you need to do a factory reset and run the script again. But this time you need to right click the utility.bat and select edit. The script will then open in notepad and you can remove the following from the “Remove Preloaded Apps” list:

adb\adb.exe uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.csapp
adb\adb.exe uninstall -k --user 0 com.amazon.dee.app

Click save and run the script as you did prior.

Good luck!

2 Likes

David, did you ever figure this out? I am having the same problem. The lock screen on my fire7 5th gen OS v5.6.0.1 comes on everyday sometime between 1:45am and 2am but the rest of the day the lock screen never pops up. Since others are not experiencing this problem, I’m hoping there is a solution out there.

I don’t know the exact time, but “overnight” the lock screen kicks in on my Fire HD8 (latest OS) too. I’ve never bothered worrying about it; but I am curious why.

Some scheduled job is hardcoded? One theory is a check for App updates?

Although seemingly a small inconvenience, this stops the ability to see the Ring video (using automateit from 1:30am till the lock screen is manually removed) upon motion detection events. I don’t want to get up from bed at 2 in the morning when I hear a motion detection just to find out it was a cat:). The wife likes it much better when she can just take a glance at the wall without getting out of bed.

But yes, I think the later OS must have some type of daily system check which causes the lock screen to activate. Bummer…

1 Like

No I never figured it out but a simple swipe clears it for the day. Despite all the comments and suggestions here I cant resolve it, otherwise it is perfect. I agree it happens between 1 & 5 am.

1 Like

Thanks so much! The utility worked great, even on a Fire tablet that was fully updated and connected to wifi the entire time.
One question–I am using a video feed from BlueIris. Is there a way in ActionTiles I can set up a video feed to be turned on when there is motion detected on a certain camera? I have my Front Door feed streaming all the time and it is taking up a lot of CPU resources.

Not a feature of ActionTiles yet; but this (or similar) is an open Feature Request. It isn’t in high demand, though; special handling for Media Tiles will evolve relatively slowly.

Which wireless charger do you recommend for the Fire (7 inch & 10 inch). How is this one: https://amzn.to/2Ha2ohg Should I get Micro USB Narrow Side Up or Narrow Side Down?

And this https://amzn.to/2JlA3JO Micro USB receiver?

Also…does the same script work for the 10 inch?

Depends on firmware version. The script use to work to take the ad page off but I haven’t had much luck with it for my last 3 tablets.

2x8" and 1x10"

Have 2 other 10"s that it worked fine on.

2 Likes

Apologies. I don’t have a Win machine so need to do it manual. Does anyone have the manual instructions?

It’s been a quite a while since I manually setup my HD8s using information found on the XDAdevelopers site, but IMHO it’s not a big deal to do. Since then the OS has changed, and I’m sure what I did back then has also changed.

After installing the Google Play Store, install the Fully Kiosk Browser should you be using ActionTiles, and install Lannouncer if you want voice messages from something like BigTalker. Here is a search for the current pages with advice for installing the Google Play Store.

My device runs 24/7 on power, never sleeps when powered, and updates are disabled. I’ve seen reports that some of the HD devices are now forced to sleep once or twice a day.

1 Like

Aaron,

Ordered three of these from Woot (32GB, @ $39). Two have come in already. I used your script on the two that have arrived. They both were loaded with Fire OS 5.4.0.1. Lot’s of error messages initially, but the final result was Amazon ads no longer pop-up and all the required software was loaded. Sweet! Did not need the 32GB models but that was all that was left on Woot. Will try again with Woot for a few backups if I’m lucky enough to see them when they get listed.

Each one is running Fully Kiosk, Actiontiles, and Dakboard. No issues with all three of thes great programs running on the Fire as well. Wallframe from MotifEtc. My only issue with the wall frame was that the opening is only to the left which is 1" away from the wall. Plugging in the Fire was a pain. Would be nice if he sold a right-hand model as well

PS, the wife has claimed the 3rd one for her personal use when it comes in…

Attached a couple of pictures of final wall mount of one of them

1 Like

Do you have a link to more information/buying info for this MotifEtc? I can’t find anything online …