[OBSOLETE] Filtrete 3M-50 Wi-Fi Thermostat. Version 2.0 Released 12/17/2016

I tested version 2.0.0 with Amazon Echo and setting temperature works fine.
Me: “Alexa, increase thermostat heat”
Alexa: “Setting thermostat heat to 69”

NICE - works as you described, and Alexa has stopped protesting and just says OK now. Kinda feels like I bullied my way through.

FYI the HOLD indicator on the multi-tile, its function is not clear. The hold-button works (the Tstat goes into hold-mode) and the indicator does not change.

I assume the limits are hardcoded in the device type.

1 Like

When Hold is turned on, the Hold button should change color to light green and the Hold indicator should change to “on”. This works with my CT30 thermostat (a.k.a. 3M-50).

I assume the limits are hardcoded in the device type.

Yes, the temperature can only be set between 36 and 94 F.

It has started working again without the error. Thank you to for developing this great device handler as well as pollster!

1 Like

I’m relatively new here and would love to get my 3M-50 working with Smartthings and Google Home. When I begin following instructions, what is on my screen and what are in the instructions do not match up exactly but I think I’m headed in the right direction. Once I’ve completed all the steps and logoff both the web and mobile apps, log back on the device is there but there is no communication. I’m not sure the Smarthings hub knows which device is my thermostat. I’ve set a permenant IP address but I did not find a place that asked me to link the thermostat or provide the IP address. Is this my problem?

EDIT: I’m sure at least part of my problem is that I cannot tell the Smartthings app what the IP address of my thermostat is. I do not have an Apple device. Android and Windows PC. The Android app does not give the option to input the IP address as it shows in the screenshots for Apple. Is there another way I can set my IP Address and port number for these to communicate?

Possibly. Open the thermostat device and hit a “gear” icon in the upper right corner. This will open a settings screen as shown below where you can enter IP address.

Yeah, I get nothing when I hit the gear icon. Is there somewhere in the source code that I should input the IP Address or port number?

Also when I created the device in the device ID section you said anything can be put here because it would be overwritten. The random numbers I put in there are still there. Does this give any additional thoughts?

One last thing: For the device type, Radio Thermostat is not an option. I have selected “thermostat capability” as the device type.

It can only mean that you have not self-published device type successfully and explains why don’t see a settings page. If published, your device type should appear on this page: https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/devices and in the “Status” column it should say “Published”.

Also, after you create a device instance, it should appear in “My Devices” (https://graph.api.smartthings.com/device/list). Make sure that “Type” is set to “Radio Thermostat” and both “Location” and “Hub” show your location and hub name, respectively.

OK Almost there. I did have the device handler published but when I did it again under “my device handlers” I found the radio thermostat device type. Now my only problem is in the app. I have the ability to set name, IP address, port number, and polling rate. When I do this and press done it says please fill out all required fields. They are all filled in and I know I am putting the correct IP address in. Seems so close!!!..

Hmm… I’ll have to investigate this.

GOT IT!!! I was able to edit the preferences in the Device page of the web interface. It allowed me to enter and save the IP Address. Thanks for working through this with me.

Might just be a glitch with the app…

1 Like

Minor update (version 2.0.1) is now available on Github:

• Refresh button now shows connection status: Green - connected, Red - disconnected.
  • Removed secondary control (“Hold” status) from the multi-atibute tile.
  • Fixed iOS mobile app crash when opening newly installed device (Issue #18).
  • Fixed error saving settings in Android mobile app.
2 Likes

I followed instructions and everything looked OK during installation.

Problem is that new Thermostat ver 2 is showing “Not connected”, while the old version 1 is still working. ( I have both versions installed.)

Correct IP, Port, Polling set.

What should I look for?

Look for any errors or warnings in the logs.
Also, you can’t have two device handlers pointing to the same thermostat, I.e. having the same IP address and port.

Ok, I will remove the old Version 1 and start over.

Will let you know soon.

That was the problem. Removed old version and new V2 started working

Thanks.

1 Like

What Alexa commands other than setting the temperature work? Fan? Switch from Heat to Cold? Current Temperature?

Currently, Alexa can only set thermostat temperature. See the FAQ below.

https://www.ecobee.com/faq/which-alexa-voice-commands-can-i-use-with-my-ecobee/

Geko, thanks again for making my nearly 10-year-old 3m thermostat awesome!

Occasionally I get home early and need to adjust the temperature a lot, let’s say from 60 to 68. I quickly tap the plus button and the set temperature reads 68 in the smart app, then a few seconds later it will switch to a number in between, e.g. 62. It’s like the setpoint gets overwritten by a previously returned value from the thermostat.

I know I could write a routine to set the temp, but sometimes this problem happens when adjusting just 3 degrees. Is there a way to change the behavior?

Thanks

Unfortunately, that’s the way it is. Each button press starts a command sequence which takes about 2 seconds to complete, so if you press buttons too quickly, it won’t be able to keep up. I find using Amazon Echo is the best way to set temperature.