Figuring out an obnoxious Z-wave chicken coop door with Mimo2+

Hi,

I’ve been reviewing all kinds of posts but none quite show what I need, so I’m hoping there’s a wiring whiz in here.

I have a gear motor that needs to move a light plywood or metal door up and down. The idea is to have the motor move forward and backward to achieve this. For example, the gear motor would lower the door until it hits a magnetic switch. It would raise the door until it hits another magnetic switch at the top. I would be using a DPDT in order to reverse the polarity on the motor.

I’m just not clear on how to wire this up properly to the mimo. Do the magnetic switches go into the Sig1 and Sig2 areas? Is the DPDT wired in properly?

I remember contributing to another thread on this very same topic. What it your project? If not then there is likely a lot of useful information in that other thread.

Anyway, one thing I would definitely NOT do it let ST control movement based on limit switches as any delay in processing the limit will cause the motor to overrun the limit. It needs to be implemented at a lower level, such as on the motor itself (I believe this is what was discussed in the other thread.), or a control board.

EDIT: Appears to be a popular project:

https://community.smartthings.com/search?q=chicken%20coop

http://solar-current.com/Forum/index.php?topic=20.0

Hi,

I found all those threads and coop boss is no longer. I’m really just looking to see how best to wire this all up. The Mimo is often used for garage doors, so not sure why ST triggering a motor based on a magnetic switch would be an issue.?

Deterministic timing and reliability. A garage opener, for example, has local control of when the motor needs to stop when going up or down. You can initiate the open or close procedure via ST but you are not using ST to tell the opener to stop when fully open or fully closed. You would likely end up destroying the door if you did. There is too much variability and uncertainty in over the cloud control.

If you use a linear actuator with built in limit switches, you should be able to eliminate this issue. I believe that was the solution in that thread I was referring to.

Edit: to clarify what I am talking about… if you tudn a motor on/off vis ST and read the status of a limit switch via ST, and have a smartapp that turns off the motor once the limit switch closes, then you are likely to overshoot your target due to variable delays in the cloud processing and response time (for motor off command).

Edit2: your relay wiring looks incorrect as nothing appears to be connected to 1 and 2. If the power supply is connected to the common terminals then connect the motor on each side swapping the polarity. You will also need a way to start/stop your motor as now the relay always powers it in one direction or the other.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/z-wave-controlled-12-volt-chicken-coop-door-opener-ideas-needed/

This was the other similar thread I tried to contribute to.

1 Like

Thanks. I think I’m just going to scrap this idea and attempt a simpler version like this that uses a zwave outlet to trigger the movement of the motor and magnetic switches wired in a series with diodes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwBVX00DaH8&list=PL_1Jg0XDs_Xe80vl6ww2Cv_-6cCseL2lC&index=3&t=0s.

I think I get how this is working, but I’m not necessarily sure how the DPDT switch is wired, and whether I need to replace my 8 pin DPDT with just a 6 pin. Or whether the motor and the relay need different power sources.

Sorry, so new to these ideas.

Here’s my “schematic” so far.

Your relay is now wired correctly, but while I think I understand what you are doing with switches and diodes, the wiring there is incorrect. One input of the motor is connected to both COM of the switches and then to the relay, therefore the switches do not do anything.

I believe this is what you are trying to do:

(Not my drawing, found it on Google)

When a switch is open the diode only allows flow in one direction.

Thanks for your help. I got it all figured out today!

1 Like