"Field Error" in SmartApp

(Chris Coslor) #1

I’'ve written a custom Device Type (largely just stubbed out right now), and a SmartApp to use it. The device looks OK in the simulator, though it doesn’t do anything yet. But when I try to run the app, I get the enclosed error.

I’ve seen references to this kind of error in a few forum topics, but never with a clear description of exactly what’s failing. I’m just starting out with this stuff, so I’m sure I’m doing something wrong, but the message isn’t exactly descriptive. A complaint about a null Device name sounds like a sane guess, but as far as I can tell, it has a name.

Any ideas?

The error is:
grails.validation.ValidationException: Validation Error(s) occurred during save():

Field error in object ‘physicalgraph.device.Device’ on field ‘name’:
rejected value [null]; codes
[physicalgraph.device.Device.name.nullable.error.physicalgraph.device.Device.name,physicalgraph.device.Device.name.nullable.error.name,physicalgraph.device.Device.name.nullable.error.java.lang.String,physicalgraph.device.Device.name.nullable.error,device.name.nullable.error.physicalgraph.device.Device.name,device.name.nullable.error.name,device.name.nullable.error.java.lang.String,device.name.nullable.error,physicalgraph.device.Device.name.nullable.physicalgraph.device.Device.name,physicalgraph.device.Device.name.nullable.name,physicalgraph.device.Device.name.nullable.java.lang.String,physicalgraph.device.Device.name.nullable,device.name.nullable.physicalgraph.device.Device.name,device.name.nullable.name,device.name.nullable.java.lang.String,device.name.nullable,nullable.physicalgraph.device.Device.name,nullable.name,nullable.java.lang.String,nullable];
arguments [name,class physicalgraph.device.Device]; default message
[{0} cannot be null]

(Chris Coslor) #2

For the edification of anybody else who runs across this same issue, the root cause of my problem was that I specified a nonexistant capability in a preferences/input clause. This apparently corrupted that SmartApp somehow-- from then on, trying to set a Location for the app resulted in an error, even after I removed the offending code.

When I copied the exact same code (with the bad capability removed) to a new app, it worked fine. There just may be a few bugs in the system :slight_smile:

(Kristopher Kubicki) #3

I am getting this all over my apps lately. I have traced it down to this line:

section("Control these bulbs...") {
		input "hues", "capability.colorControl", title: "Which Hue Bulbs?", required:true, multiple:true
	}

It seems as though any app with capability.colorControl is producing this error in the simulator now. I can’t tell if its happening in production yet as well. Please help @ben

(Kristopher Kubicki) #4

I’ve been at this all day on multiple hubs with multiple accounts - it seems like anything with capability.colorControl is throwing this error, at least in the simulator.

As others have noted, if the error to throws once in a SmartApp, I have to wipe the app completely to get it to go away.

(Kristopher Kubicki) #5

Maybe its just me… Here is another item that is always kicking out this error. I have to think other people would be running into this as well:

section("Close this door..."){
	input "doors", "capability.doorControl"
}

I’m having the same error with hue lights:
input “hueLights”, “capability.colorControl”, multiple: true

This worked for me for over a year, and has been failing for the past week. I’m hoping its just something on SmartThings end…

Thanks!
Josh

(Ron S) #7

Just check the hue bulb code from ST and see what it exposes…

What do you mean Ron?

It seems there is another post about this too…
Anyone have suggestions? I talked to support and they said @April or @matthewnohr might be able to help!

(Jim Anderson) #11

I reproduced this in the IDE when trying to use a virtual device. If I install using a hue bulb it works OK.

I am opening an internal bug report for this.

Thanks for the quick reply! Using the actual hue bulb worked for my temporary needs!

Any updates on this? I’m trying to use a simulated device as well and I get the same error.

(Kristopher Kubicki) #14

I was getting a lot of this last night as well. Not sure if there’s a systemic thing going on

(Brian Warner) #15

I too am having this issue. I have found that selecting my real-life Linear garage door opener works, while the simulated device fails. This is the only way I’ve been able to get around it.

(Adam Duren) #17

I was going through the intro to ST programming and ran into this. The virtual device fails while a physical device works.

JIm,
It seems this error is so generic that SmarTThings needs to make the display of the error more helpful. I have wasted whole day trying to find the error - looked at the community forum also - but there is no real answer that says why we get this error. Just because someone gets it working by re installing the app is of no help. My suggestion - have someone in SmartThings monitor this and provide suitable reply

A year later and this error still happens with the virtual capability.colorControl devices. But real devices work in the simulator.

(Tyler Weaver) #20

I’m getting the same error with capability.battery. Only happens on virtual devices, works fine on real ones.