'Fibaro Z-Wave FGK-101 Temperature & Door/Window Sensor' Full Support Handler

Yeah somehow when I downloaded the link above it gave me 9.3
I will fix it as soon as I can.

Thanks for the info there. That could be handy. I sure wish I knew what you know. Probably could learn it but if I didnā€™t use it everyday I couldnā€™t retain it.

Okay now this is the real 9. 4. 1 itā€™s acting a lot more normal now. But still getting that error. which isnā€™t bothering me any. I donā€™t think.

Long list of log entriesā€¦ only found this error that seems to happen every hour. Here are three examples. Everything works though. Open/Close is perfect and updates temp as well.

As you can see this freezer is almost empty right now while I work out the warning system. Now I think weā€™re ready to fill it up. :poultry_leg: :icecream: :slight_smile:

Steaks too I hope. I live in Omaha Ne so thatā€™s a necessity. And of course corn. GBR

@chris2vic, @Woo
Thanks again Chris and Fred for your help in debugging and your continuing patience.
We did not quite reach the 10 iterations before converging, so we can consider this transatlantic debugging, you with the hardware and me with the code, as a success ! :smile: :smile: :smile:

To summarize what I learned thru this exercise : the Handler errors with the latest v2 Hub and latest Fibaro FGK-101, which appeared several months ago, came mostly from the new CRC16 encoding of Z-Wave messages.
Also, the Z-Wave Open/Close commands asynchronously issued by the FGK-101 when opening/closing changed unexpectedly from ā€œBasic Setā€ to ā€œSensor Binary Reportā€.
Both did not exist 1 year ago with v1 Hub and previous Fibaro FGK-101.
Contrary to what I initially thought, the SmartThings v2 Hub is likely not the sole culprit for those upward incompatibilities, and a surreptitious firmware update for the latest versions of shipped Fibaro FGK-101 has also to be suspected.

Unfortunately, if SmartThings and/or Fibaro created such undocumented upward incompatibilities once, they can do it againā€¦ :frowning:
And since ā€œSmartThings support doesnā€™t provide official support for creating custom Device Handlers and SmartAppsā€, there is not much help to expect from SmartThing supportā€¦ :frowning:
We reach there the limits of a supposed ā€œopen platformā€, which was however one of the advocated strong points of SmartThingsā€¦

Regarding the last remaining Groovy error, you can ignore it since it is a part of the Handler code which is non functional, added to track some SmartThings random bug which occured in the past (the Wakeup period for the FGK-101 would randomly revert to some value different from the 1 hour explicitly set by the Handler).
I will try to notify SmartThings about this bug which is clearly part of their CRC16 routines, but considering the above, I am not even sure where to report my findingsā€¦

Regarding the Ā°F setting, it was actually completely independent of those hardware/firmware issues, I just had never taken the time to code and debug it properly, as I was interested only in Ā°C. Interesting thou that the Ā°F<->Ā°C dynamic switch is allowed from SmartThings mobile desktop, while SmartThings code for valueTiles does not support it.
But I suppose unless you use SmartThings from a boat or a plane, there are not that many cases functionally requiring Ā°F<->Ā°C dynamic switching while running the same Handlerā€¦ :slight_smile:

Let me know if you find some other abnormal behaviorā€¦ hopefully not too soon ! :smile:

Absolutely steaks. Just couldnā€™t find an icon for steak. Iā€™ll admit envy of your steak quality location. Thatā€™s great.

Iā€™ve never frozen fresh corn. Does it do that well?
Fred

Absolutely a success. Consider that through patience and your excellent support, Chris and I were able to help you debug this and youā€™ve provided an extremely valuable functionality for the SmartThings community. Iā€™m now able to use your app to monitor freezer temps and if they approach the threshold for freezing, all of the Hue lights in the house turn Red, my wife gets a text message and we can see why immediately. This gives us plenty of time to react and is awesome.

While it may happen again, I had fun helping and would do so again.

I cannot express how much I appreciate this handler and your support on it.
Fred

No we donā€™t freeze the corn. But we do eat a lot of it. sweet corn especially. Good idea with the freezer. Iā€™ll be doing that in the future. So did you drill a hole into the freezer?

I appreciate all your hard work. Youā€™re one of the reasons why this community is so great.

So Iā€™m using this application on my HVAC system for AC. I have the temperature probe on the low side line set (the big one) to determine temperature after about 10 or 15 minutes of running. If freon pressure is too low the temperature will drop.
I havenā€™t figured it out yet but I plan on using rule Machine to check for temperature 10 minutes after running. Then if temperature is below or above a certain point range it will turn the AC off preventing freeze up. And then it will text me. A coil freeze-up can cause stress and cracks which will create leaks.

No hole. It is a chest-type floor freezer and the temp sensor cable is small enough that i can close the lid and it seals. I havenā€™t really checked closely to see if there is a significant gap there but Iā€™ll check it out tomorrow.

The AC is a cool application for this. Checking the low side is interesting. Why do you need to wait 10 minutes? Does the line get cold within the first 10 and you would have a false alarm?

If you donā€™t need to ignore the first 10 minutes, you could set up RM with conditions based on temp or temp + AC Power. Then if the temp is too low and AC is on, you can turn it off and send the text.

Fred

@Woo
On colder days like weā€™ve been having it takes a while for it to ramp up. Before startup the probe will show around 70 and by the time reaches say 33 degrees it can take a bit. With warmer temperatures say in the 80ā€™s it will probably only take about 5 minutes.

Iā€™ve got about 5 projects like this I want to get employed that arenā€™t your normal everyday automation stuff that I would like to get done.
Homemade bed sensors.
Main water shut off. A cheaper one
Smoke alarm integration.
Another HVAC safeguard but different from this one.

Deadbolt lock sensors. It will tell me if my deadbolt are locked or not.

I can just about Mark this one off my list.

If you do drill a hole. And even if you donā€™t. And if your freezer has a defrost mode. Be sure to mount the sensor on the opposite side of the coil. There will be a heating element there that will go off about once a week that will end up showing a Spike in temperature. I would also suggest mounting it in an open area so it can notify you if the door was accidentally left open. Which I have done.

These are all good projects.

Using the magnet to sense this. Since itā€™s a floor model, It canā€™t really be left open that easily but itā€™s a good idea, I could use RM to alert if that sensor is showing open for more than 60 seconds or so.

Bed sensors sound cool. Use them to trigger lights off and lock doors? I want to get some Z-Wave smoke alarms but Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™d automate other than alerting when weā€™re out of the house.

@Woo I can help you out with the smoke alarms. Iā€™ll PM you.

Iā€™ll support those thanks. Iā€™m in Europe using a V2 hub. Had to remove and reset the device three times before all was well though. Not sure Iā€™d rely on Fibaro for anything really serious - at least not yet - but maybe confidence will develop.

Rolph,
This device with JJā€™s code has been working flawlessly since the last update. Itā€™s been reliable. I agree that there are some strange things that happened at first but once set itā€™s generally solid.

Thanks
Fred

@Rolph : always glad to hear about happy users :smile:
AFAI can tell, Fibaro devices and Fibaro hub are very reliable, but using mixed configurations SmartThings+Fibaro+Internet leads to more instabilities and obviously does not guarantee upward compatibility, especially when using a custom handler.
On the other hand, the benefit of using a (supposedly) ā€œopenā€ platform like SmartThings and a ā€œstandardā€ like Z-wave is the number of diverse devices and functions you can activate, soā€¦

As a general reminder (since I cannot modify anymore the first post of this thread), be sure to use my latest JJā€™s Fibaro FGK-101 at github (currently v0.9.4.1).