'Fibaro Z-Wave FGK-101 Temperature & Door/Window Sensor' Full Support Handler

Jerrin, the “Show Device” window shows that you have NOT selected my custom Handler, and are running with the default SmartThings Handler for the FGK-10x.
To activate my Handler, go to Show Device / Edit / Type
and select “JJ’s Fibaro FGK-10x ZW5 Handler” at the bottom of the Type menu.
This entry will appear in the Type menu only if “JJG2014 : JJ’s Fibaro FGK-10x ZW5 Handler” appears in the “My Device Handlers” window.
Then wake up your FGK-101 using the Tampering switch (several times if needed), surveying the pairing progress in the “Live Logging” window, after selecting the “all” display option.

Note that the “secureInclusion failed” message you get in “Live Logging” window when pairing with SmartThings default Handler is definitely NOT normal. Let’s hope switching to my custom Handler will workaround this problem…

ahh stupid me okay. So This is what I get now after trying to wake up the sensor a few times.

2018-01-13 (1)

Looking at the app, it now displays a pic of the thermometer, but no temperature. ahhhh what am i doing wrong?

Jerrin, your FGK-101 is now part of the Z-wave network (Device Network Id : 0B) and my custom Handler is now activated .
BUT it has NOT auto-configured, as it should.
After a successful auto-configuring you should see in the “Show Device” window :

• ZW5set: 1
  • ZW5: 1
  • Configured: 1

If waking up the Device several times using the Tampering switch at the bottom does not solve it (wait a few minutes and check progress in the “Live Logging” window), you may try to repeat the whole unpairing/repairing process this time with a RESET of the FGK-101 to factory settings (after unpairing, before repairing).
But if all this does not solve your issue, I am afraid that the “secureInclusion failed” message you get in “Live Logging” window may be the problem.
Since it occurs even before you activate my custom Handler, there is not much I can do there…

Man I cant even reset it. I tried both ways. I can get it to light up 3x when i press both tamper buttons and install the battery, but then it doesnt blink 6x like its suppose to when it confirms, it only blinks once slowly. Maybe I have a faulty sensor and might have to try another one. Thanks so much for your help tho. at least I know what to do now to get it to work. I need to figure out why it says secureinclusion failed…

Jerrin, beware that the reset procedure is different for the FGK-101 ZW5 and previous pre-ZW5 versions.
Based on the Raw Description in your “Show device” window (ver:3.02), you should have the latest ZW5 version, but anyway check on the box, just in case.

At this stage, I would suggest you open a case with SmartThings Support, sending a Support Request at support@smartthings.com, giving them a screen copy of the Live Logging with the “secureInclusion failed ALERT”.

IMPORTANT : do not mention that you want ultimately to use a custom Handler, since it is irrelevant to this Alert (which occurs while trying to pair the FGK-101 using the STANDARD SmartThings Handler), and because SmartThings support throws away any Support Request involving any kind of custom Handler.

Sorry, at this point I cannot help you more.

Update: I disconnected the ds18b20 and tried connecting and everything worked perfectly. It was sending open and close. I was gettin ZW5set: 1, ZW5: 1 and configured: 1. Obviously just no temperature showing though. I then reset everything again, attached the ds18b20, and tried to pair and get that same error message. I wonder if Im installing the temp sensor wrong? I just put the leads in RED, YELLOW, GREEN from top to bottom, when the connectors are on the right. Any ideas now? Thanks

Oh my god…I just found out the yellow is ground, not green. I followed a picture and it turned out to be wrong because there are 2 types of ds18b20. Type 2 green is ground, type 3 yellow is ground. But now my battery is out so I’ll have to get another one. Well I will update you when I get the new battery!

2 Likes

I am glad you found the problem at last Jerrin.
Those external DS18B20 are always a pain, because as you found, they do not use a “standard” color coding.
If I had to guess, I would like you have assumed RED = Vcc, YELLOW = Data, GREEN = Gnd, which would have been wrong.
But I am just curious : the waterproof DS18B20 you bought did not come with any instructions, or you misread them ? It would be so easy for the manufacturers of those probes to provide the proper picture, like this one.

What is new in your problem is that you got this “secureInclusion failed ALERT” because of a wrong DS18B20 wiring, but may be you are the first one to use the ++ZW5++ version of the FGK-101 ++AND++ to wrongly connect your remote DS18B20 ?.
Remember that due to the new wiring, you will have to unpair/repair your FGK-101 (and ideally RESET it).

Now let’s hope the Hub v2 firmware update which was pushed by SmartThings last night does not break something else… :wink:

Ok so got it up and running and it works! Just to confirm, it checks temperature every 4 hours and displays? Also if the temp changes by 0.3 it will display the new temp? I tried putting the probe in the fridge but it wasn’t displaying the change until quite a bit later like 20 minutes. Also, how would I make it so it alerts my phone if the change is say more or less than 10 degrees? Thanks

Hi Jerrin, glad it finally worked !
A good thing the 300th post in this thread initiated 3 years ago is a success notification :smile: :smile: :smile:

Not exactly : it reports almost (see below) immediately any temperature change greater than +/-0.3°C, and even when temperature does not change, sends a temperature report every 4h.

For battery conservation purpose, temperature changes are not reported immediately by the ZW5 version of the FGK-101, but after a maximum latency of about 15mn. That is the result of Parameter #50 [Interval of temperature measurements], set to 900s in the Handler; you may change this value to a lower one, but the battery life will then decrease in proportion.
Note that the pre-ZW5 version of the FGK-101 DID report immediately any temperature change above the Parameter #12 threshold [Sensitivity to temperature changes] : too many of the ZW5 changes look to me suspiciously like regressions :weary:.

AFAIK, you will not be able to send a SMS directly from the Handler; you would have to associate a SmartApp to your FGK-101, and this SmartApp to check at regular intervals the last temperature reported by your FGK-101, sending a SMS whenever it goes above your 10°C threshold.
You could check if such a SmartApp, or a similar one, is not already available within the SmartApps library.
You could also modify the setting of Parameters #54 [Temperature alarm reports] and #55 [High temperature alarm threshold] which would then generate specific alerts within the SmartThings Mobile App.

Hey, thanks so much. Its been 3 years and you still have such quick responses. I can now feel a bit safer now that I can see what temp my tank is when I’m away. Thanks for all your help and let me just show you my fish tank now…

Now I just need a smart nitrate probe I can integrate with smartthings again haha.

So I have a silly question regarding the button on the bottom of the Fibaro. It seems whenever it is pressed (even when mounting), the Fibaro stops updating temperatures. Should it be mounted such that the switch is always pressed in?

??? Extremely curious.
This anti-tampering switch is supposed to be pressed all the time, and temperature reporting works this way too.
Are you sure you are using my custom Handler ?
Using IDE / My Devices / Type = “JJ’s Fibaro FGK-10x ZW5 Handler” or “JJ’s Fibaro FGK-101 Handler”

Yes, I’m using your handler. I found some better instructions for the device than the included instructions and it confirmed (as I suspected) that the switch should remain depressed,

I have been testing it as a temp sensor (with the probe) without it being mounted anywhere and it seemed if I picked it up and accidentally clicked that button, it would stop reporting temp and I’d have to do the 3 clicks to re-engage it. I now have it mounted in a tiny project box (with the switch permanently depressed) and it seems to be working, so I’m going to try putting the probe in my hot tub next.

EDIT: The thing is in a small project box and still seems to randomly stop reporting temps. I had it in the back of a PC which was running BOINC and it was registering temps just fine. I took it out and put the probe under scalding hot water - the temp didn’t change. I took it out to my hot tub and put it in - the temp didn’t change. The open/close sensor worked fine, however.

Unfortunately, if you have the ZW5 version of the FGK-101, temperature changes, however large, are NOT reported immediately, you may have to wait 15mn or so; see this post to understand why.

I don’t mind 15 minute delays. This thing was stuck on 77.3 for hours. I finally took it out of the project box, hit the tamper button 3-6 times, and it eventually started reporting again. Just not sure how to keep it reporting reliably - I guess I am going to have to mount it firmly in the project box with tamper depressed (I thought it was) and hope it keeps reporting.

The main reason I am doing this is to report on hot tub temperatures. I’m probably going to have to drop a z-wave outlet close to the hot tub to extend the mesh, but I really need this thing to keep reporting temps every 15 or so minutes. Definitely not your driver - it just seems to get “stuck” and I have to reset with the tamper button.

Hi Brad,
I’m also using this sensor. Bought it mainly for the external temperature probe ability. I had to add/remove sensor from the network a few times and it finally behaved. Couldn’t tell you why but it seems ok now. About the tamper switch, if you know someone with a 3D printer have them go over to the Thingiverse website and do a search for fibaro. I have my sensor mounted on a extender block that holds the switch in place.
Hope this helps.
Jeff

Brad, I very much doubt that your lack of temperature reporting for hours is caused by the temperature switch being depressed : I have had a FGK-101 reporting temperatures regularly while it was UNmounted on anything, thus with the bottom switch UNpressed.
Actually, this switch effect is kind of the opposite : you can press+release it whenever you want to force an immediate temperature report.

So the behavior you observe is very odd.

As Jeff suggested, it may be something completely different, like you paired the FGK-101 to the SmartThings Hub first, then added the DS18B20.
At this point I would suggest you un-pair the FGK-101, reset it to factory settings, add the DS18B20, re-pair it to the Hub, then switch to my custom Handler.
As many people discovered and reported on this thread, the pairing of a Fibaro FGK-101 (ZW5 or not) to a SmartThings Hub (v1 or v2) is a finicky process, and there is not much I can do from within my Handler to correct that since it arrives only at the end of the pairing process.

BTW, what is the distance between your FGK-101 and Hub ? If more than a few meters, it could also explain very erratic reports.

Right now, it is 10-12 ft away from the hub. It is almost like the device falls asleep or something and the button tap causes it to wake up. I’ll try pairing it again.