'Fibaro Z-Wave FGK-101 Temperature & Door/Window Sensor' Full Support Handler

I have a 102 version sensor and I tried the JJ’s Fibaro FGK-10x ZW5 Handler but it doesn’t even recognize the open and close status of my sensor. I have to use the JJ’s ZW5 to get any open and close status changes. The one thing that doesn’t seem to update no matter what handler I use is the temp. It initially reported a 72.8 reading and has not changed. Anyone have any ideas? I have to be missing something.

I am not sure I understand your question.
First, I assume your “102” refers to the FGK-102, and not to the firmware level of your FGK, right ?
Second, there is a SINGLE optional temperature probe within the FGK-10x, unless you bought the FGDW-002-1 “Sensor 2” version.
So could you precise your actual FGK/FGDW version, and what you mean by “the temp on the probe or the door sensor” ?

I have the FGK-102 sensor. I also have the probe DS18B20 connected via the three wires. I also noticed the temp has been updating every 4 hours. Reading above it looks like this is hard coded. Is that accurate? Seems like I should be able to adjust the value to whatever I choose.

I am currently using the JJ’s ZW5 handler as this is the only one that seems to get a reading on my sensor and actually show the open/close state in the ST app if I trigger it with the magnet. Should I be using another handler?

I just dunked the DS18B20 probe into cold water to see if it triggers a lower reading. It’s been 20 min and no immediate update.

What I mean about temp on sensor or probe is does this sensor have a temp sensor inside without a probe? I want to make sure the reading I am getting is from the probe, not the sensor itself (if it has a temp sensor in it). EDIT: Upon some reading, I do not have the FGDW-002-01 with the built in temp sensor. So looks like the probe is working. The box says my sensor is the FGK-10x USA v2.5.

Now my issue is which handler I should be using and how I can get the sensor to update based on a temp difference ± , or waking the sensor up. I tried switching over to the handler at - https://github.com/geejii/JJ-s-ZW5/blob/master/JJ’s%20Fibaro%20FGK-10x%20ZW5%20Handler and I cannot get an open/close reading. I also don’t see an update to the temp by attempting to wake the sensor with the tamper button.

Another EDIT: I had the https://github.com/geejii/JJ-s-ZW5/blob/master/JJ’s%20Fibaro%20FGK-10x%20ZW5%20Handler being used by the sensor and at the 4 hour mark, it did NOT update the temp! I switched it back to the JJ’s ZW5 handler and it updated within a min. Temp went from 73.2 to 51.3. So the probe is working good.

So I think I’m literally down to what handler to use and if I can get the sensor updating correctly with a tamper button push, ± of temp difference, or every x hours instead of the static 4 hour update.

I also just noticed that with the current handler I am using, triggering the open/close will also update the temperature. I may have missed this during my testing.

Hi Eric,

Since you have the pre-ZW5 version of the FGK-10x (firmware 2.5), you can still use my “v0.9.5.1, 20 December 2016” handler. This one has been running satisfactorily for 3 years.

The latest version of my handler, v0.9.7.1, 14 May 2017, is mandatory for ZW5 (aka Z-wave+) versions of the FGK-10x, but is also supposed to be downward compatible with the pre-ZW5 versions of the FGK-10x.
So if this one does NOT immediately report any temperature change greater than 0.3°C / 0.56°F, there is a bug.

To check what Handler you are actually using, please post a screen copy of “My Devices / your_device_ / Show Device”.

If you prefer to use the older pre-ZW5 Handler, and yet want to modify the maximum reporting period without any temperature change (currently 4 hours), change those 2 lines :
389 state.maxEventInterval = (long) (160-**10)601000
577 state.maxEventInterval = (long) (**1
-10)601000
Note however that the FGK-10x should report IMMEDIATELY any temperature change greater than 0.3°C / 0.56°F.

Let me know if you still have a problem.

This is what I currently have. I went to my devices, the device, and I don’t see a “show device”.

Here are the last two updates (4 hours).

Here is a sequence of events while using the latest v0.9.7.1. To test this one out I had the probe sitting on my counter and registering 73.3 degrees. I then dunked it into a cup of water with an ice cube. This should have registered an update as you mention (since its downward compatible) but it did not. I let it sit for a good while too. Right at 2017-06-19 4:21:00.395 PM EDT is when I switched the handler back to what I am using now and then tripped the open/close with the magnet and it then registered at 51 degrees. Using the latest version v0.9.7.1 I don’t get ANY readings what so ever. No open/close or temperature. It just keeps the old values and never changes.

I will give the v0.9.5.1 a shot and report back.

I did try and adjust the code to (0.25*60-10) for an every 15 min interval but this didn’t seem to work. I still only got an update every 4 hours. I’ll give the 1 hour a shot as that is my actual “want” anyway.

Quick update: I tried the v0.9.5.1 and set the update interval to 1 hour. The temp was 71 degrees as per the ST app. I dunked the probe in a cold cup of water and waited at least 10 min. NO update! I triggered the open/close using the magnet and the sensor then reported 51 degrees. So there was no update from the sensor due to a change greater than 0.3°C / 0.56°F. I waited the full hour (1.5 hours actually) and I still haven’t gotten an update. It seems like the sensor is stuck on the 4 hour interval update.

UPDATE: I removed the sensor from ST and started fresh. Here is what I did…

Before adding the sensor to ST, I deleted any known JJ device handlers. I then did the following…

FGK-102 with DS18B20 and v0.9.7.1 handler (Doesn’t work at all)

Added the v0.9.7.1 handler to the IDE
Added the sensor in ST and it came up as a Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor
Switched the handler in the IDE to the v0.9.7.1 version
Tested the tamper button (no update)
Tested the magnet trigger open/close (no update)
No temperature reading at all.

FGK-102 with DS18B20 and JJ’s ZW5 handler (Works for Temp and open/close trigger) (NOT Working - incremental change greater than 0.3°C / 0.56°F)

Added the JJ’s ZW5 handler to the IDE
Added the sensor in ST and it came up as a JJ’s ZW5 handler
Sensor was now already using the JJ’s ZW5 handler with no need to change
Tested the tamper button (no update)
Tested the magnet trigger open/close (updates in ST app)
Temperature updates only in configured 4 hour update - (Tried 1 hour but I may have tried the 1 hour configuration while the sensor had previously been sync’d to use another handler)

FGK-102 with DS18B20 and v0.9.5.1 (Works for Temp, open/close trigger, tamper, and incremental change greater than 0.3°C / 0.56°F)

Deleted any known JJ handlers
Added the v0.9.5.1 handler to the IDE
Added the sensor in ST and it came up as a JJ’s ZW5 handler - v0.9.5.1
Sensor now was already using the JJ’s ZW5 handler - v0.9.5.1 with no need to change
Tested the tamper button (updates in ST app)
Tested the magnet trigger open/close (updates in ST app)
Temperature updates - Before I saved the handler, I adjusted the 4 hour setting in lines 389 and 577 to 1 hour. I am currently waiting for that 1 hour to pass and see if it works.

So far so good. What got this working was I had to delete any previous known handlers and remove the sensor from ST. I then added the handler FIRST and then added the sensor to ST. I didn’t have to factory reset the sensor at any time. My mistake it seems was that I was switching handlers AFTER the sensor was already in ST. This seemed to not work fully in most cases and at least the 1 hour update config that I changed was not sticking. The sensor kept only reporting at 4 hours.

Only thing I am waiting for now is the 1 hour update. If that works, all is well. Hope I didn’t spam or flood this thread but thought it may help others.

Thanks!!

When doing this kind of experiment, you might find resetting the device to factory defaults before pairing is useful. One device handler may change a parameter and a different device handler may assume that parameter is still at its default setting – which could affect your results!

[This is a general comment, not a reflection on the DH under discussion! I don’t have one of these sensors yet – although it is on order and should arrive in a day or so, :sunglasses:]

Hi Eric, congratulations for all those experiments and the successful outcome.
I apologize for not removing from github the “JJ’s ZW5 handler” version, which was a private obsolete working version never intended to be largely exported; it has now been deleted.

I will look into the backward compatibility problems you had with the “JJ’s Fibaro FGK-10x ZW5 Handler” v0.9.7.1, which definitely SHOULD have been backward compatible.
It works that way for me on a pre-ZW5 FGK-101, with temperature updates events not only every 4 hours, but also whenever the temperature difference since last report exceeds 0.3°C / 0.56°F.
As John mentioned, part of your problems may however come from switching between multiple handlers, without resetting the Hub and the Device in between.

I suppose you will stay with the “JJ’s Fibaro FGK-101 Handler / v0.9.5.1” which works fine for you, but just in case you get a newer ZW5 FGK-10x and need the latest handler, the “Show Device” window should, AFTER the handler has self-configured itself, show “Current States” such as :

Thanks! Yea I am going to stay with v0.9.5.1 for now. Seems to be working very well. The hourly update is also working. Initially since I wasn’t getting more frequent updates with the older handler, I wanted a more frequent update on an hourly basis, but since the 0.3-0.5± updates more often, I may push the incremental updates back to 4 hours. Either way, working well.

Side note: I took this project a step further as this is a sensor and probe for my pool temperature. I integrated ST with my Home Assistant server via MQTT. Now I get that temperature data into my HA instance and I created a script that will pull the temperature value on that script call. Then I took it a step further and setup an IFTTT applet that if I ask my Google Home “What is the pool temperature?” It will send a web hook http post to the HA to run the script and use Google Say TTS to actually tell me on my Google Home what the temperature is currently. Works very well actually.

Thanks JJG, great stuff from you and appreciate your support!

Hi All,
I have just purchased a Fibaro contact sensor FGK-10x and I cannot get it to pair up.
Put in battery and pressed the tmp button 3 times but nothing gets discovered.
Any thoughts anyone?
PS. I have Fibaro motion sensors and a smoke detector and have no issues pairing them to the hub.

Hi Robin. Just to confirm.
Did you have the cover on and pressed the TMP button 3 times and it was discovered?
I’ve tried all combinations and I cannot get it to be discovered.
Getting very frustrated with this thing. :confused:
EDIT: Nothing in the events log either.

The battery of my ZW5 FGK-10x died after just a few months.
I suspect that setting the FGK-10x ZW5 parameter #50 “Interval of Temperature Measurement” to the default 5mn value is the culprit, as warned in the FGK-10x ZW5 manual. Unfortunately, using a greater value such as 1h or even 15mn will introduce a larger latency for any temperature alert, which may not be acceptable in some cases (ex: freezer temperature monitoring).
AFAIK, the pre-ZW5 version of the FGK-10x did NOT drain the battery as fast, even with zero latency of temperature measurement :frowning: .

Those who wish to have a longer battery life should upgrade the handler to the v0.9.7.2, 9 July 2017, version, which now measures temperature only every 15mn.
Those who keep the previous v0.9.7.1 (w/ temperature measurements every 5mn), please let me know if your battery also dies prematurely (within less than 1 year).
You can modify the “Interval of Temperature Measurement” ZW5 parameter #50 at line 751 of the Handler.

All in all, I see more regression than progression with the ZW5 version : hopefully, the benefit in increased Z-wave+ range is worth it, but the advertised longer battery life benefit does not seem to be there, at least with the default parameters…

2 Likes

The Fibaro Door Sensors are bast#$@ to get connected. I had to change hubs recently and they gave me the most problems.
First thing I would suggest is to reset the sensor. From the manual:

Resetting the Door/Window Sensor:
Reset procedure deletes EEPROM’s memory, including all information
on the Z-Wave network and the main controller.
1. Open the cover.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Install the battery while holding both TMP buttons.
4. Release the TMP button within 5 seconds.
5. Visual indicator will blink 3 times to confirm launching of reset
procedure.
6. Wait around 30s for the resetting process to end, do not remove
the battery.
7. Visual LED indicator will blink 6 times to confirm the reset.

But if I’m not mistaken, the procedure described in the manual did not work and I found a video on youtube (if I remember correctly) which described a different procedure. I’m sorry I can’t say for sure what it was. I set aside a weekend to move over to the new hub and it was quite a challenge having to look for solutions when devices failed to play along.

Hope you’ll sort them out eventually.

Edit: I remembered something else I’ve read - when resetting the sensor, the magnet must be held in place as when the sensor would report the door as being closed. That made a difference with 2 of my sensors, but as @geeji remarks in his post below - that could just be a co-incidence, because in ST, doing the same thing over and over, often DO give different results.

1 Like

I confirm that Fibaro Door Sensors “are bast#$@ to get connected” :wink:
There are at least 2 cases :

1. a sensor never connected to any hub (SmartThings or other)
  2. a sensor previously connected to a SmartThings Hub

In the first case, you need to use the SmartThings mobile application and first set the Hub into pairing mode, using the “Things / + Add a thing” menu. Once the window “Add a thing” appears, THEN you can push 3 times (or 4, 5…) the tamper alert switch (at the back) keeping the sensor case CLOSED.
You may have to do it several times, but it should work… eventually.

In the second case, you should FIRST disable the pairing with any previous Hub BEFORE attempting to pair to a new one, and doing so using the SmartThings mobile application : “Things / <your_device< / <setting_top_right< / Remove” or alternatively the computer IDE application : “https://graph.api.smartthings.com / Devices / <your_device< / Delete”.
Resetting the Device to factory settings, as explained by 949BFN above, is the best way to make sure you start pairing from a clean state, and I would recommend you do it even if you successfully unpaired your Device from the previous Hub, AFTER unpairing.
Then you are back to case #1.

Remember that with SmartThings, and contrary to what Einstein said, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is not insanity, but the sad lesson of experience…

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies guys.
Tried resetting as per manual.
Tried a different reset method as found searching the web.
This poxy sensor just will not pair.
Maybe its faulty.
I have other Fibaro devices and never have issues with pairing or resetting.
Nothing in the events log when trying to pair.
Will have to see if I an change it.

I have a few different versions of the FGK-10X sensor. I didn’t have an issue pairing most of them, but one of them is older (version 2.1), and wouldn’t pair even though I followed the proper instructions for it. I eventually figured it out, I had to do the following:
1- If possible, be close to the hub when trying to pair the sensor.
2- In app, go to “My Home”, then “Add a Thing”, the app will then say “Looking for devices…”.
3- Quickly press the TMP button (located under the sensor) 3 times.
4- Wait 2 to 3 seconds.
5- Again quickly press the TMP button (located under the sensor) 3 times.

Hopefully this works for you as well.

Im using the FGK-10x ZW5 with an analog temperature sensor (DROK DS18B20 3M Probe) to turn on and off zwave switches to control my pool pump and heater. I need to have the FGK-10x ZW5 report temperature more frequently. Im not concerned about battery life since my pool is only opened 4 months a year.

Ive searched through this thread and tried to update the code to provide a 15 min update but cant get it to work. Can some one please help me?

The current update rate is based on the temp change of ± .6 F…It can take hours to for the report this change which is too long as the automation is triggered when the temperature is updated.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

@ravend :
First, but you are already aware of that, having a mandatory 15mn temperature report will drain your battery, possibly even faster than your 4 months target.

Second, be aware that the 0.6°F threshold programmed into this Custom Handler is likely the best significant difference which can be meaningfully reported : I have not made extensive tests about that, but I suspect 2 consecutive temperature measurements at the exact same unchanged temperature may not report the exact same value for multiple reasons (random sampling noise); furthermore, as explained earlier on in this thread, there is a bug in the ZW5 version of the FGK-10x, which reports different temperatures values (+/- 2°F) depending on the report being triggered by the 0.6°F threshold or being explicitly required by a “sensorMultilevelGet()” command.

All that said, periodic reports are controlled by Parameter#52 which is set for the ZW5 FGK-10x at line 758 of v0.9.7.2 Handler.
As explained previously in this thread, there is an other bug in the ZW5 FGK-10x which skews the programmed value for Parameter#52, lengthening it (in my tests, with my settings) by x1.92. So to get a 15mn report interval, you should try 469s, replacing in line 758 “configurationValue: [0x1D,0x56]” by “configurationValue: [0x01,0xD5]”.
Then check the actual reporting interval and proportionally adjust the value if needed.

Let us know how it works :slight_smile:

1 Like

@bobbles : I have seen in an other thread that you finally solved your FGK-10x pairing issue. Congratulations.
I am just curious : what it dzhimc advice (pressing TWICE the TMP button 3 times) which finally clinched it, or some other solution ?

That particular sensor just would not pair.
Exchanged it and the new one paired.
The reset method that works, I tested it with the new sensor, is as follows.
Remove batery.
Put magnet next to sensor.
Put in battery.
Wait 1 to 2 seconds.
Remove magnet.
Wait 1 to 2 seconds.
Remove battery.
Replace battery.
Now it is reset.