Fibaro Smart Implant

I finally started over (unpair, hard reset Fibaro, etc.), using IN2 from the beginning. I was able to get both temperature external sensor and IN2/Alarm2 working. No idea what was different but don’t want to spend more time now.

Would like to figure some way to upgrade Fibaro firmware through SmartThings hub which seems practical, but again time and documentation… :wink:

Paul T.

@ovidiu.pruteanu thank for your work, I’ve just succesfully integrated a microwave-PIR sensor through the Smart Implant using your DTH.

Just one question, Selecting “alarm” for the child device I get a contact sensor, which shows “open” for motion and “closed” for no motion.

Is it possible to turn it into a motion sensor? Changing the DTH of the child device or something similar?

Many thanks!

1 Like

Does anyone know how to get the DS18B20 reading to show up on the SmartThings App (new version)? I have a DS18B20 wired into a Fibaro Smart Implant and paired with the SmartThings hub. I’ve installed @ovidiu.pruteanu code as the device handler and have added a DS18B20 child device. I can see temperature events on the child device:

However, on my SmartThings App all I can see is the internal temperature reading:

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi @FluxCapacitor I also couldn’t find the the child device that was showing in logs but not in the app. It ended up being for me that it wasnt in the same room as the Implant parent device, the child went to another room in the app - so as silly as it sounds maybe check it didnt go to some other room in the app.

At worse delete the device and re add everything, ive found that works.

@shankman, it never occurred to me that it could be listed as a separate device. I assumed the DS18B20 would be shown as part of the main FSI device. I went and looked though all of the rooms not expecting to find anything and there it was in the “No room assigned” section!! Thank you so much!!

1 Like

I apologize if this has already been mentioned here, but I’m interested in purchasing one of these to allow my RPi to easily switch variables in ST. I’m curious: (1) is a custom device handler needed if I only plan to use the two NO/NC sensors on the device, and (2) is this custom device handler going to be ported to Lua/Edge for when that change takes place?

Thanks,
B

Hi Community, I am trying to add a Fibaro Smart Implant to my SmartThings Acotec Hub. I added the 7 device handlers, and connected my temp sensors. When I look at the added device in ST app, I have no settings page just the switch control. See photo.
I have deleted and reinstalled several times, reset etc but the same result. Any ideas welcome. I didn’t modify the code at all in the dh’s just pasted them in.

It looks like your device didn’t get associated with the Fibaro Implant DTH, did you click the “Publish / For Me” button after saving the device handlers?

You can change the device handler by clicking Edit on that page and selecting “Fibaro Smart Implant” in the Type dropdown.

Hi many thanks for the super fast response yes I thought it might be something to do with the DH not connecting with the device.
I did save and publish each handler see image. Do I need to edit any of the DHs? I’m not a programmer just enthusiastic smart home dabbler!

Thanks for the tip, I realised what you were suggesting, select the dh from the type drop down in devices! I now get the settings, thank you so much for your time and expertise writing these drivers. Will contribute to your beer fund! Best Tim

I’ve been reading this post, trying some things I’ve read, but still can’t get my Smart Implant to work with two DS18B20 sensors so I can monitor the temps in my Hot Tub.

I originally wired the Fibaro Smart Implant (FSI) to the two DS18B20 sensors and powered it with a 9vdc battery. I added the 7 Device Handlers from @ovidiu.pruteanu into my IDE, then Added Device the FSI using the NEW APP (only option nowadays). It shows up, but doesn’t report any temp within the app. The FSI main temp sensor reports the temp in the IDE though. Type automatically sets to Fibaro Smart Implant.

Next in the App I clicked on the FSI device > Settings, and chose the DS18B20 1 & 2 devices from the pop up menu. I only changed the Periodical Reports from 0 to 300 (every 5 minutes?). The two Child sensors show up in the App. BUT, I can add all SIX DS18B20 CHild sensors in the Main FSI device and they will show up in the App - even tho there are no physical sensors connected to locations 3-6. Type automatically sets to Fibaro Smart Implant DS18B20.

Well, nothing I tried could get the sensors to report…so I Removed the Devices, waited, then added them back, and redid the same settings. No change. So next I Removed the Devices again and powered the setup with a 12 vdc 750 mA wall wort - maybe the 9vdc battery wasn’t enough power? Nope, still can’t get it to report.

I’m not sure if I’m adding the Child Sensors properly. What is the exact process that others have used to successfully get DS18B20 sensors to work with the FSI??

Thanks!

@nbb350 I don’t know if it’s in this post or another one but you wont get more than 1-2 days from your 9V battery, essentially you want a wired source.

I had a few issues also - this sequence worked for me after the first time it didn’t report

1. Delete the device make sure it’s gone in the IDE also
  2. Double check you have all the DHs
  3. Re-add device (confirm in IDE that the right DH associated)
  4. At this point assuming you have both the DS18B20’s wired and connected
  5. In the setting add one device, accept the change then exit settings, I’d go back to the main page wait until the child device appears (I’ve found it gets put in the “No room assigned”) move the child device to the right room
  6. Redo step 5 for the second DS18B20 - check the “No room assigned” then hopefully they both are showing temps and you can play around with the other settings.

Good luck, hope it works for you!

Could you please expand on Step 5? Thanks.
This is the step I think I’m not performing correctly.
btw, the New App puts the Child Device in the same room as the parent app, but it doesnt’ seem to do anything.

This is normal behavior, you should only add as many as the connected sensors, starting with #1. Adding more will not cause any issues, but they will not report anything.

If the child devices show up in the App you are performing step 5 correctly.

Other users have found a few reasons why DS18B20 sensors weren’t reporting the temperature:

• Sensors weren’t connected at the moment of adding the Smart Implant to SmartThings
  • Incorrect wiring
  • Defective sensors

Well, I removed and re-added the Device thru the New App. Nothing is working differently.

FSI Main Sensor Current States:
Check Interval: 1920s
Temperature: 85.5F

Both DS18B20 Child Sensors Current States:
Check Interval: 3600s

QUestion on the wiring: following the schemtic in the instructions and on Fibaro, I wired the Blue GND wire from the FSI to the Black Ground on the DS18B20, FSI SD White to DS18B20 Yellow Data, and FSI Brown SP to DS18B20 Red Power. All wires are soldered. NO Resistors added…like I’ve seen mentioned on the Fibaro Forum ( [Tutorial] - Attaching DS18B20 temperature sensors to a Smart Implant - Tutorials and Guides - Smart Home Forum by FIBARO ). Is NO resistor needed? or is that my missing component?

Assuming you purchased the immersion type sensors with that metal case at the tip. These sensors generally have the resistor under the heat shrink.

Maybe try another set of sensors, they are fairly cheap try and get one you know has the resistor in built.

It took me a few goes and a second set of sensors before I got mine working. Making sure everything is connected at the time of powering up and joining was my mistake.

Hope you get it working soon :+1:

1 Like

I ordered a new set of sensors, but these came with the resistors separate. How should I wire the resistors and sensors into the FSI?

If you google “DS18B20 pull up resistor” you will find it. I think it’s across the Vcc and Data pin, but please confirm.

Well, before cutting apart my old wiring and throwing the sensors away, I decided to add a 4700 ohm resistor across the Voltage and Data lines. No difference - still no reading from either sensor. Then I decided to just clip off one of the sensors…viola! I have a temp reading on the remaining DS18B20 sensor!
(yes, I removed/added the FSI from ST between each atttempt)

FSI handles up to SIX sensors?! Not quite… But I guess I really only NEED 1 sensor to tell me if my hot tub is operating correctly. The second sensor was to tell me the ambient air temp in the garage. Oh well…

I put together a How-To guide (with pictures) for interfacing the Fibaro Smart Implant (FSI) with a DS18B20 and SmartThings. It took me a while to get it all working and with my fragile memory I like to document what works so I can refer to it later.

You can access it here: How-to guide on interfacing Fibaro Smart Implant with DS18B20 and SmartThings - Google Docs

3 Likes