Fibaro RGBW Controller (DTH link in post 32, police light smartapp link in post 79)

@turb02 I’m curious if you added the device to any rules since you re-paired it with your hub.

@twack I have the LED strip around the inside of the bottom of my bed. I’m using a Smart Lighting rule to turn it on when motion is detected between certain times so that there is lighting if someone gets up in the middle of the night or when my son comes in early in the morning and it’s still dark.

@zj4x4 Cool, so you drive the color, the level and for how long, right?

Thanks

Precisely…

3 Likes

@zj4x4, I have them come on at a certain time in the morning, when the laundry door opens (contact sensor), and when my wife arrives home. Thats it. Well the sliding door will activate the police lights when we are home (Stay alarm).

@twack TL;DR havent had beta 3 initiated long enough to verify.

The first time it crashed, was using the old device type. In order for me to get it was to change the device type on the fibaro to some arbitrary light type, then re-add the fibaro rgbw controller.

I then tried the beta 3 and didnt care for the interface, so I switched back to the previous version. All worked well last night. Didnt really mess with it this morning (lights were on for us as we woke up). Get home and Im back to the same things as yesterday.

So I painfully got it working again tonight. Had to jump through a few more hoops tonight. Now Im running Beta 3 and I guess Ill report back tomorrow and let everyone know.

P.S. The lightning is a pretty sick feature in “Storm”.

1 Like

@twack so I’m seeing a few issues with the beta 3 on Android:

1. When I turn the lights off (with Echo, phone, buttons using sharptools and tasker) the lights don’t appear to be turning on to the last setting (white, dimmed to x) unless I use my phone.

2. After the police lights turn on then off when the contact sensor is closed, the lights turn off, and then I’m back to issue one.

1 Like

Any thoughts as to why they won’t return to last setting?

The colors it returns to are random and will annoy my wife to the point that she won’t use them.

I wonder if it’s because you are using white rather than color? Mine always goes back to the previous setting but I’m not using the white LEDs, only color.

I am using the white in a setting to set it but it never comes up as white. Always some blueish green color.

Hopefully @twack can come up with something

I had an old device type for this installed and it started crashing when opening it in the SmartThings App. Updated to Beta 3 and it is still crashing. Not sure what I can do to fix it.

I’m using Android.

What I did was go into the API, select a completely different device type for the Fibaro. Then I deleted the old device type. Went out and grabbed the new Beta 3 code, recreated the device type, then via simulator I added it to the Fibaro. save. Publish. done.

Thanks for the tip. I tried your steps word for word and the device still would not open in the app. I did some digging and noticed a null value in the ide for that device.

Just as a guess I commented out the tileAttribute code that uses the color (null) value. After I did that, I was able to open the device just fine.

Changing the following and uncommenting the tileAttribute let me go in and set the color using the color picker so that it wasn’t null anymore:

adjusted.level = null 
    //adjusted.level = ""

Then I was able to set the adjusted.level line back to normal and now the device type is working as intended. The last part didn’t make sense to me because I never saw setAdjustedColor being called in the logs.

Anyway, posting this in case it might help someone in the future, or help squash bugs with the device type. Great looking device type by the way.

4 Likes

So does this fix the issue with the lights turning back on a completely different color than they were?

No, this was to fix the issue with the SmartThings app crashing every time I opened the Fibaro RGBW device. I haven’t noticed the colors turning to a different color.

Gotcha.

Anyone else using these as a warm white/white for work space lighting, having the same issues as me and @zuperman4ever, where the lights were white when turned off, then a random color when turned back on?

If so, how do you fix this?

Hi all,
Thanks for this discussion and thanks @twack for the device type. This has really got my brain working and I was up on Amazon until 1AM peicing together an LED kit to outline my recessed tray ceilings. I had an outlet put up there when the house was built. Still unsure about power requirements for my 50+ ft runs, but I’ll work that out in another forum.

Basic question about the device type… Does it support LED dimming - like, low level lighting for mood/movies? Is there specific hardware you need to get to support the dimming, like a dimmable transformer - or is that only needed if you are dimming from the wall switch?

@johnny2678, all the dimming is done on the device itself. In order to function the device requires a 12V DC power supply, adjusting the voltage to the controller via a dimmable power supply will not work.

1 Like

Thanks Mike,
So, if I’m reading you right, power will flow (AC) House Circuit (120V/15A) -> Wall Switch -> Outlet in tray ceiling -> LED transformer (converts to 12V DC) -> Fibaro controller -> LED strips?

Can I connect 4 strips in parallel to a single Fibaro controller, assuming I get a beefy enough transformer?

I’m obviously not an electrician… just hoping I don’t burn the house down :wink:

Fibaro actually includes input for a hardware connected dimmer/color switch. I haven’t seen a switch made for it yet let anyone try it. I believe it takes 10 volt DC RGBW inputs so if you are handy you can probably modify this device to step down the voltage:

Yes, but I think with 50 feet you may need to go to 24 volt transformer/LED strips. Alternatively you can try an amplifier:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MN7AFLC
I haven’t tried it myself with the Fibaro, but I believe others got it to work.