Fibaro Motion Sensor stuck on "motion"

@Paralytic, that was the conclusion we came up with too. Check out the last few posts on this thread [RELEASE] Fibaro Motion Sensor ZW5 (ver. 3.2) (Advanced DTH) between @Levahj and myself.

For me I had an old ZWave socket that was no longer in use and by following the instructions on the other thread I noticed what hops were taking place. I did the repair too, which removed the socket and since then its better.

I wondered about why only some functions got stuck and not all, I guess there are programmed differently.

I know this is an old thread, but Iā€™m experiencing the same issues. I have 5 of these Fibaro Motion sensors ZW5, and 2 of them randomly get stuck on ā€œmotionā€ (which confuses some webcore pistons). It happens 1-2 times/day. As soon as actual motion is detected they resume normal operation, followed by another ā€œfreezeā€ hours later.
I think I have a solid Z-wave mesh, with Fibaro dimmers placed 2-3 meters away from the motion sensors. Batteries are at 100%. I have run Z-wave repairs and reboots of my V2 hub. The 2 sensors acted the same way before the recent hub upgrade (they run local now). Any suggestion is welcome.

1 Like

I had this for a while with one of my Figaro ZW5 motion sensors. First thing to do is check the raw description in the IDE to ensure the initial connection was secure (starts with zw:S)

zw:Ss type:0701 mfr:010F prod:0801 model:1001 ver:3.02 zwv:4.05 lib:03 cc:5E,86,72,59,80,73,56,22,31,98,7A sec:20,5A,85,84,71,8E,70,30,9C role:06 ff:8C07 ui:8C07

In the end, I had to remove mine from the network, move it closer to the hub to reconnect it, and then reposition it to where it should go.

You could try a ZWave Replace first, but that never fully fixed it for me,.

Boiled down to a back mesh network, see my previous post, once i resolved that, they have been pretty good and solid.

@Paralytic - the raw description matches the one you gave for all sensors.

@KellyDarren - I donā€™t think itā€™s a mesh problem, I have repeaters everywhere. But just to make sure I moved one of the sensors right next to the hub. Nothing changed, the same occasional freezes occur. It gets stuck on motion and it stays like that (visible in ST classic and ActionTiles) until a real motion event is triggered. Then it gets back to normal.

Did you remove/re-add to network after physically moving the device? If not, that is unlikely to have made any difference.

Iā€™m getting very close to giving up and throwing these Fibaro motion sensors in the bin, Iā€™ve tried everything, the fact they randomly decide to get stuck on motion is bringing me closer to the brink of insanity, which is a shame because generally Fibaro products are very reliable.

Iā€™m also noticing 2 Aeon Multi Sensor 6ā€™s getting stuck on motion as well as 4 Fibaro motion sensors, which as you can imagine is becoming a problem. @johnconstantelo @blake.arnold @jody.albritton How is it possible for these devices to perform without issue for 3 years, then in the last year become more and more unreliable? How many Z-Wave repairs do I need to do? How many factory resets of each device before I give up? I have more Z-Wave repeaters than end devices. Iā€™ve tried with official and non official dthā€™s, using secure and non secure communication. The only answer I can come up with is that SmartThings have changed the way they handle Z-Wave communication with each new itineration of the hub firmware. Do I need to ditch these Z-Wave sensors and find something that is Zigbee? Support havenā€™t been any help.

We meet again :slight_smile:

Did you get anywhere here, or ended up buying smth else? Iā€™m having the exact same issue with my Fibaro Motion Sensors; getting stuck reporting ā€motionā€, sometimes for hours, preventing any other triggers/modes to be reported in the meantime. :frowning:

Included securely - and rebuilt network multiple times - doesnt seem to affect the situation :confused:

Yes at this point we really should think about getting a motel. The problem with these battery operated Z-Wave motion sensors seems to be quite endemic on many different HA systems so I canā€™t, at this moment, blame ST entirely. Issue being they get randomly stuck on motion, until you trigger motion a second time, and the inactive message correctly gets sent to the hub. This has become quite a time consuming palava. In the short term I excluded 4 Fibaro motion sensors, have them sitting doing nothing, and replaced them with Ikea Zigbee motion sensors, which are 100% reliable, but not as sexy as the Fibaroā€™s. As just 3 days ago, a USB powered Aeon Multi 6 got stuck on motion again, Iā€™m hoping the new Z-Wave mesh info in the IDE will help the next time to see itā€™s next Z-Wave hop. In the meantime Iā€™ve shut down a Greenwave 6 node plug which is 4 years old, maybe that was causing issues? If the problem persists with the Multi 6ā€™s Iā€™ll just have to replace them also with Zigbee motion sensors too, but thatā€™s 300 bucks all told to throw away if I do.

Yeahā€¦ In my case Iā€™m only running brand new Zwave devices in my network, and all of them are Fibaro (5 dimmer 2s, 8 plugs and 2 motion sensorsā€¦). So I would htink they would work well together, but alas - here I am :slight_smile:

What I have done for now is to place my two Fibaro sensors right next to each other, and treat them as one and the same in all my automations. Basically reducing the risk of the mentioned issue, since now they both have to fail at the same time for it to break down. An expensive, and not very elegant solution - but seem to be doing the trick for me right now.

Other than these devices I run quite a few IKEA Zigbee devices, and they all run flawlessly with ST. So perhaps its a sign to start slowly migrating over to Zigbeeā€¦ :confused:

Let me know if you find something out here - I will be looking for a suitable motel in the meantime.