[OBSOLETE] Fibaro Motion Sensor - New device-handler with all settings and auto sync feature

Yeah, I just realized that after my post. I changed parameter 40=0 (disabled). It should now only update every 5 mins.

Hi all, Iā€™m really frustrated with this sensor. Iā€™ve read through so many posts on this and Iā€™m trying to modify the default lux parameters and itā€™s not behaving as I would expect it to. Either the manual is wrong or the sensor simply doesnā€™t behave according to the parameter definitions.

My goal is simple. I would like the Fibaro sensor to update my ST Hub every 5 mins with the current lux reading.

Reading the manual over and over again it seems to me the way to accomplish this is to modify a couple of parameters.

Parameter 40 is Illumination Threshold Report, this states that whatever value you set here will cause the sensor to send a report when the lux value changes +/- The default value here is 200 meaning the sensor should update the hub every time the lux value increases or decreases by 200. In reality Iā€™ve noticed the sensor doesnā€™t behave this way at all. Most of the time when I check the logs I get an update once every hour. So I set this parameter to 0 to disable this function.

Next parameter is 42, manual states this is the time interval between consecutive reports. BINGO, this is exactly what I want. So I set this parameter to 300 secs (5 mins) and push the config to the sensor.

Now the sensor is sending reports at least once every min. WTF!!!

Why isnā€™t the sensor behaving based on the parameter settings/descriptions in the manual? What am I missing here?

This is just the beginning of my frustration with this sensor. Iā€™ve also tried modifying the motion sensitivity and Iā€™m getting bizarre results from modifying those parameters to. Arghhh!!!

By the way, I have v3.2 of this sensor. Where can I find the correct user manual? Iā€™ve found a couple online but none of them match the version of sensor I have?

Manuals i used are here

http://manuals.fibaro.com/motion-sensor/

Does anyone have a flawless DH for 3.2? I have tried them all and written my own, I have 3 working perfectly except for motion and 2 that have lux and motion detection issues. I know itā€™s not the sensors through other testing and I am able to get them to report for a few hours then they just stop.

I have tried replacing, rebooting, excluding, excluding and deleting, excluding deleting rebooting, etcā€¦ all to no avail. I try forcing and polling and have 42,64, etc set for every 90 seconds just trying to get something. The old ones on network I have no problem with but these ones ā€¦ theyā€™re about to become archery targets!

Now that Iā€™m thinking about it Iā€™ve been having issues with all z-wave plus things the last couple of weeks, not nearly as much as these but enough that it makes me wonder about hubs capabilities

Anyways anyone have any suggestions please?

OK after last tweak to code now everything working except for motion reporting

I tested this handler, it doesnā€™t work with v3.2.

I plan to try to combine this driver and the ST driver this weekend to see if I can get them work.

Why isnā€™t there just a working device from smartthings? This motion sensor has been out ages in its 3.2 form in the UK.

Chan, if you can get a working device handler for this thatā€™s actually configurable, Iā€™m sure many folks would be very happy, including myself.
I donā€™t mind adjusting parameters in the IDE if they actually work as expected.
Iā€™ve seen various different slices of code for this device and some are formatted differently when it comes to the Params, some us v2 tags others v1.
Does the UK version even use the same code structure as the US one?.

Personally if someone can create a smartapp that can read the devices current settings that would be the biggest help, as without that base, itā€™s a bit button bashing in the dark.

Appreciate all the communities help on these but, Iā€™ve not herd a single response from smartthings staff on this sensor, yet itā€™s listed in their compatibility list. Again much like Sonos having a half attempt device, featuring none of the confuguration options within the st default device.

Becoming less and less impressed by ST

1 Like

The default ST handler actually work but you canā€™t change any parameter

CYeah it does work, just in its hobbled state.
No options for comfiguration.

And none of the configurations options other people have tried seem to work,
Just adding in the cmd for the tamper alert to be dissabled, param 20 = 0 doesnā€™t work.

I hugely appreciate all the guys here with their custom device handlers.
But the default ST device should at the very least have the Option to query the device to know what Params are actually set.

Just venting as this potentially is a great sensor but a bit of an expensive paper weight without the right config (I appreciate I chose to buy it but with the understanding it was properly supported) I have no problems trying out different Params and editing the code, but it seems many folks are having issues which should be pretty simple to resolve., but seemingly arenā€™t.

EDIT: have managed to get it all working fine, have posted a separate thread, so not to hijack this one further.

Can you post the link to your solution please?

I donā€™t mind using the default device, but I donā€™t know why it doesnā€™t do anything when you hit the ā€˜configurationā€™ button. I just want to turn the LEDā€™s off if that is at all possibleā€¦

Have you put the sensor in configuration mode before you press the configure button?

That should be it. Hope it helps

Hi very new to this I just wanted to no if any one could help as I already brought 5x fibaro motion sensors to work with piper nv cameras they connect however insanely sensitive to the point they set off on their own no movement etc can this allow me to adjust the sensitivity of the sensors apologies in advance if itā€™s a stupid question literally very very new to this smart automation life

Yes. You can adjust the parameters with this DTH.
When you have assisgned this DTH to the Motion Sensor you can either alter the parameters through the ide or the device on your phone/tablet.
When you have set the parameters to your liking, do a 3 button press on the sensor to put it in configure mode (LED glows blue) and then press the configure button in the device on your phone.
The best way to test if the settings have taken is to set parameter 80 to ā€˜inactiveā€™. This disables the led on the sensor. If it has done this you know your new settings have taken.

2 Likes

Appreciate your reply thank you I will keep you updated how I get on

Just to confirm pal will your dth work with the zw5 sensors

I am hoping for help as I think these still might be somewhat popular. But I am getting the following error for all my Fibaro Motion sensors. Any ideas on what I can do. Things appear to be functioning correctly so far. Error examples below. Many thanks!

Exception ā€˜org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.GroovyCastException: Cannot cast object ā€˜[134, 153]ā€™ with class ā€˜java.util.ArrayList$SubListā€™ to class ā€˜java.lang.Integerā€™ā€™ encountered parsing ā€˜cmd: 5601, payload: 31 05 03 0A 00 08 86 99ā€™

OR

Exception 'org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.GroovyCastException: Cannot cast object '[23, 176]' with class 'java.util.ArrayList$SubList' to class 'java.lang.Integer'' encountered parsing 'cmd: 5601, payload: 31 05 03 0A 00 01 17 B0'

There was a new issue introduced todayā€¦

Hi,

where is the code to the DTH?
That link doesnĀ“t work

https://github.com/CyrilPeponnet/smartthings/tree/master/device-handler/FibaroMotionSensor

I made the repo GitHub integration compliant. (Was not existing when I wrote this dh)

2 Likes

Shouldnā€™t the title of the thread be changed to something less deterrent of new folks. Been using this since, December 2015 without a glitchā€¦