Fibaro 2 Dimmer (212 not 211)

I am intrigued, why is this? I would of thought the switch positioning would of been irrelevant to the load calibration

I honestly have no idea. ā€¦all a big learning curve for me and after many hours and through a process of elimination this is what I found using the wiring configuration in my attached document!

Itā€™s working finally. ā€¦so Iā€™m going to leave it be. ā€¦lol

At least I know how to recalibrate if I do lose powerā€¦not ideal but a work aroundā€¦

To be honest there is a lot of conflicting information about these things. Others on this thread have said you need to install the bypass dimmer for loads less that 25w however i can confirm that this is inconclusive as I am now running two circuits with way less than this. one circuits has 3 led spots at 4w each all are dimming and behaving perfectly. they are Philips dimmable GU10 spots if it mattters.

It maybe due to my bulbs having drivers in that deal with this.

Read the comment in this blog for a fuller explanation but also confirms the same as me that you can have loads less than 25w

Great job but its confusing using the diagrams and linking to the other wiring guide for the 211 dimmer when this thread and your post is about the 212 dimmer.

I couldnā€™t find a wiring diagram for the fgd212 that actually worked with 2 way lighting but if there is one thatā€™s been tested and proven to work Iā€™d love to see it?

Here you go http://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-112

I also used this page http://www.lightwiring.co.uk/tag/2-way-switch-wiring-diagram/ to help me understand it all.

I used two momentary switches. I canā€™t stop playing with them. Even my wife thinks itā€™s cool.

Hi Neilā€¦ Sorry been away from the forums. Glad the code worked for you. Itā€™s the best Iā€™ve managed with very little time put into it, till we get an official one from fibaro. Iā€™m not so sure what you mean be it calibrates on every power cycle. Is it the main DB you are talking about, or is it on each cycle of the switch? Once your switches are up and running, it should not recalibrate. Also, if I remember right, the switch position should not matter for calibrations. Unless I got really lucky 4 times in a row.

Iā€™m not using a fibaro bypass. I did have issues with flickering with the my existing bulbs. I purchased the dimmable led bulbs from Ikea, re-calibrated manually using the button after installing the bulbs, and they seem to work perfectly after that. No bypass required.

Glad to hear I am not the only one. As I have said before 2 x dimmer 2 now both with very low loads and all working fine. I have read the cheaper LEDā€™s use inferior drivers and can cause unpredictable results with flickering etc. The Philips bulbs I have both non dimmable and dimmable both work well with no flickering/noise.

Interesting, Iā€™ve never experienced the flicker with the Dimmer 2 first hand, only because Iā€™d learnt my lesson with older models and knew to avoid it. Perhaps Dimmer 2 has some built in smarts to detect low loads? It wouldnā€™t surprise me.

Lovely thank youā€¦

So its just the link wire thatā€™s slightly different:)

Iā€™m going to order another Fibaro dimmer to do my upstairs hallway, so will try this configuration with it to see if that works and stops recalibrationā€¦

Cheers Adrian, much appreciatedā€¦

Rajiv,

The code was very much appreciated because its currently beyond my level of expertise. As far as recalibrating; Even when I changed the code to say do not recalibrate if I turn off the trip it still appears to go into the automatic recal! I wonder if its because I have the link wire wrong? as per Adrianā€™s diagram!

As for the switches being in the right place, I know it seems strange, but uniess both Switch A and B are in the off / up position it just wonā€™t calibrate properly. I checked the load and I have 2 lights, one is a 55W std bulb and the other I think has 2 LEDs in it, although its high up in my hallway and I canā€™t check it without a ladderā€¦

Are everyone elseā€™s dimmer 2s still working? Mine all appear to throw errors, I guess since the recent hub update. Code seems to compile OK.

John,

Mine are working fine.

Neil,

The mixed load you have on the circuit could be causing some issues with the calibration.
as it senses the load and sets accordingly. Think it does state not to in instructions.

General,
Dimming LEDā€™s is a bit of a mine field different manufactures will respond differently even the same models can as the manufacture changes things internally. The number of lamps on the circuit can effect bottom end dimming and not relating to load against dimmer specā€™s.
I have 6 LED lamps on a 212 and they worked pretty well with out bypass but with the bypass I found the bottom end dimming a lot better.
I do have a flicker at max brightness and have seen ST report 205% or something stupid like that. but have set a top level to eliminate that. The bypass also seemed to make this less.
You could also set a lower limit manually (Parameter) to stop bottom end flicker.
So if it works without great, but if your not happy with it. Try the bypass it might help, it might not.
It will help if the lamps arenā€™t turning off fully.

The problem seemed to affect a lot of custom device types for a few hours yesterday, all fine now.

In other news, you can currently get dimmer 2s on 4 for 3 on Amazon.

So I have two of my ā€œnormalā€ 2-wire switches now working like a charm, suprise for me was that I didnt even need the bypass.

Anyhow third switch is causing me trouble, since its a dual switch, meaning it has two paddles. One side controls the outside light I want to install the dimmer for and other controls the inside light that I dont care about automating.

The wiring on the dual switch looks like this: http://imgur.com/LmIA7c3
The black is the load, brown is the wire for the lamp of interest and blue is for the inside light.

How do I wire this with the dimmer? I see it has S2 for dual switches, but I dont really know where I would connect the blue outgoing wire then?

IĀ“m totally fine just leaving this inside light as non-smart, but I am not sure how I would go about wiring that either?

I donā€™t think you could do it with that switch and still have it working to control both lights. It would be possible to do it as purely a smart switch.
Reason being I think from memory the switching side of these dimmers is just a volt free contact. And you canā€™t use your switch without mains voltage being applied to them.
Can check on that though.

Edit: think Iā€™m wrong on that. Just looked in instruction and labels Sx as power supply to switch.

So if black is your permanent supply try taking a wire off this(so 2 wires in the 1 position) to power dimmer (L) link Sx and N out then a cable from the switch (brown position) to S1 then put the brown into wavey line.
See if that works, if Sx outputs voltage you should be good.

Also that doesnā€™t look like a UK switch, that I have ever seen. So a lot of assumption made on its workings, from how its wired.

Might get better response in non-UK& Ireland post

Just wounder when fibaro dimmer2 will get official support SS?

My dimmer module has been working great for about a month, then yesterday it has stopped dimming. It will turn on and off but wonā€™t dim. Has anyone else experienced this?

Does that happen from the switch as well? If so, it sounds brokenā€¦

Has anyone every tried playing with the S2 terminal? From what I gather, you can call on any other ZWave device from it, but I think ST might need to support it.

Did that work for Dimmer 1?

Yes switch only turns on and off, no dimming. Iā€™ll get in touch with where I bought it.

Iā€™ve asked previously about if you can associate the S2 terminal to be able to switch lamps on and off, but got no reply.