Fibaro 2 Dimmer (212 not 211)

Thought I’d check the wiring as I did throw a lot of diagrams at the electrician and thought maybe I’d confused him. The S2 terminal isn’t connected as per the photo.

So does S2 need connecting to the top terminal of the switch and can anyone confirm that for a 2 way circuit using 3 position switches it should be wired as per figure 5 on this page:

Im assuming looking at that, you have:

permanent live to L,
neutral to N,
switched live out to the light from the out (wave with arrow)

The bottom part of the switch is then connected between S1 and Sx. (com and the bottom terminal on the switch).

If that is the case, and you do have a three way momentary switch, then yes, you need a wire from the remaining terminal on the switch, to S2 on the dimmer.

A photo of the back of the switch would help.

Electrics is not my strong point which is why I got the electrician to do it. It’s a 4 gang minigrid switch so I’ll try and pop it out to get a pic later.

When he was wiring it I do remember seeing 3 wires at the switch (L1, L2 and com) but L2 must be connected wrongly. The wave terminal also has two wires, would that be right?

With regards to the the output, I wouldnt have thought so, unless it is dimming two fittings and they are wired independently.

The light that you are switching from this module, can you only switch it from this location, or is there another switch that controls it on the other side of the room etc?

No, its switchable from the other side of the room controlling 1 circuit of 6 leds - that’s known as 2 way right? Which is why I believe it should be as as per figure 5 on this page:
http://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-112

Apart from the neutral bridging as I have neutral at the switch.

It will only be like figure 5 if you dont have a neutral at the switch. The fact that yours has a neutral wired to the module would indicate you have a neutral at your switch, therfore its not exactly as per figure 5.

You would not have the link between Sx and N on your module. Instead N is just wired to neutral.

Other than that, yes it should be like figure 5. IMHO there should deffinitely be something connected to S2 on the module if you have two three way momentary switches.

Yes, I do have neutral at the switch. I’ll get the switch off tonight maybe and see where L2 is currently connected and try moving it to S2.

Can the Fibaro Dimmer 2 be used to control a 12v LED strip for the kitchen? It’s about 2 metres long. At the moment I have a Fibaro relay inside the switch box that simply acts as on/off, but I’d really like the dimming function. If I changed the 12v transformer for the correct kind would this work? And what kind would I need please? Is there such a thing?

You should really use the right tool for the job. The Fibaro RGBW controller is made for controlling 12/24v LED strips, and would give you the option of changing your strip (if a single colour) to an RGBW strip. Either that, or you could use the other channels to control other strips with one colour.

I asked about the Dimmer 2 because the new device handler is very good, you can change the parameters easily and all I wanted was to dim the strip. And the Fibaro RGBW controller is near impossible to change the code to add a physical switch capability unless you are Steve Jobs. So for now I’ve attached the Fibaro RGBW to the strip, and use a Fibaro Relay behind the toggle switch of the kitchen, so when pressed, turns on the RGBW controller.

Hopefully someone can do a device handler for the RGBW like @hajar did for the Dimmer 2.

Yes, but you’d need an appropriate LED controller (that supports dimming) between the LED strip and the Fibaro Dimmer 2. You would only have one controllable channel, but that’s not an issue if your strip is single colour.

I take a more-general view:

• The Fibaro RGBW controller is designed for controlling four channels of 12/24v lights, whether that be RGB/RGBW LED strips or four circuits of MR16 halogens, etc.
  • The Fibaro Dimmer 2 is designed to control a single channel of 110-240v lights.

In both cases the form-factor (strip or bulb) is irrelevant, as is the bulb type (LED, halogen).

If you have mains 110-240v lights then your only realistic option is the Fibaro Dimmer 2. [Although I wonder if it would be possible use the Fibaro RGBW with step-up transformers to the bulbs…]

If you have 12/24v lights then you have a choice:

1. The advantage of the Fibaro RGBW Controller is that you are getting four controllable channels for pretty much the same price as one controllable channel with the Fibaro Dimmer 2. The disadvantage however, is that the Fibaro RGBW controller is still at version 1, whereas the Fibaro Dimmer 2 is version two (with support for Zwave Plus, more configuration options, and nicer scene features etc).

2. If you really want the v2 features of the Fibaro Dimmer 2,then, as I said above, you can power them using the Fibaro Dimmer 2, but you have the disadvantages of only one channel, and needing separate transformers/controllers.

3. Alternatively, you could wait for the Fibaro RGBW Controller 2, which logically should be released at some point soon (although I asked Versternet if they knew of a release date and they said they have no info).

I see, well fair enough!

Why the relay though? The RGBW device handler can be used to turn on/off the RGBW controller. You seem to have a lot of gear in your setup there… what is it all?

As John said, the standard ST device handler for the Fibaro RGBW can be used to turn it on/off (albeit all channels at once). If you wanted individual on/off control of each channel then I guess that would require a bit of coding.

FYI I’m actually writing my own device handler for the Fibaro RGBW anyway at the moment, as I’ve got an RGB strip, and using the spare fourth channel as a 0-10v sensor input.

2 Likes

What would help me would be either a Fibaro RGBW device handler that is easily configurable (either within the app or via the website) to enable a physical switch, so I can run some wires to the switch and use the Fibaro relay for something else, OR else clear advice on where I can buy a compatible 12v dimming transformer that works in conjunction with the Fibaro Dimmer 2 as I haven’t found one yet, I’d need about 60W I’m guessing. Any help appreciated!
Or wait for the version 2 of the Fibaro RGBW controller as it needs updating!

Another option for you to consider, depending on what else you have.

If you use single push momentary switches in conjunction with Fibaro Dimmer 2s anywhere else in the room, you can attribute S2 to a smart switch, which would give you a normal style push switch. You could make that turn the RGBW on or off.

This is exactly what I’ve done. I’ve also done it for a smart bulb in the living room lamp. It works a treat.

1 Like

I should be able to help you there, but give me a few weeks, as I have a large number of projects under development right now.

2 Likes

SOLVED!

Hi, Ive read and searched the thread but I cant seem to find the answer. Really sorry if is has come across before. Here goes:

I got 212’s all over the house. Worked perfectly with VeraLIte untill the Vera died. Today I setup my ST for the first time. Got the devices paired and they listed as Fibaro Dimmers. On/off or dim did not work. Tried to change to Z-wave multichannel device (as suggested in the this topic) no action there either… Then created a Handler and used the code that is in the first post “Fibaro Dimmer UK” -> I can now turn lights on and off… No dimming action though… Have someome figured out how to fix that? Is there an updated code?

Figured it out :slight_smile: I used an old code… Here is the one that solved it: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahs94qLZSqskg6AOqKqo7webGKEh8w

You can try either my device handler: GitHub - codersaur/SmartThings: Samsung SmartThings SmartApps and Device Handlers

or Hajar’s: GitHub - hajar97/FibaroDimmers

Both will give you dimming and the ability to configure all the device parameters.

You’re a rock-star!

Just installed the dimmer, it was recognised by my network and I thought all would be fine, but although I could control things with the physical switch, I could do nothing remotely. I’ve seen that it just works for some people, but I guess something wasn’t going right for me.

Anyway, I installed your code, changed the params for my set-up (momentary switch) and bingo - all working wonderfully. Thank you very much for this - awesome job.

1 Like

Hi guys,
using @zcapr17 code to try and get a Fibaro Dimmer 2 working with Smartthings and a momentary switch.

Sort of working.

With code I’m getting an error “java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object @ line 985”

985 being: state.preferencesCache_param19 = param19.toInteger()

And then also on the phone app, I’m not able to view / configure - greyed out and nothing happens.

Any pointers / ideas?

Many thanks,

Mike