Fibaro 2 Dimmer (212 not 211)

I saved code and got the switch running, but cant seem to get it to dim? am i missing something? i have it connected to 4 halogens and a rocker switch?

Are the halogens dimmable? Are the parameters correct? When you switch off, are you getting the ‘dim to off’ effect, or are the lights just going from full brightness to off immediately?

Also, by a rocker switch, do you mean one that is held in the central position? If so, have you wired this up to both S1 and S2?

When I switch off or on it goes straight to bright or off no dimming,
normal on of switch, not sure about parameters tbh.

If you’re using Hajar’s code, click the cog and have a read through the different parameters. There’s one in there somewhere for no dimming, also one for configuring for a 3 way rocker switch, if that’s what you have.

Sorry where do I find this cog :thinking:

In the app, when you’re in the screen for a light (the one powered by the module), click the cog in the top right. This will show you the parameter list.

Guys have you seen an issue with retractive switches and fibaro 2 dimmers where the dimming only works intermittently and otherwise a long press of the button results in on/off? I forced a recalibration by holding down the b button and the dimmer came back as green (dimmable load detected). Any advice for this?

Sorted thanks for the help

1 Like

Another couple of questions for the Oracles here on this thread:

1. With respect to changing the parameters via the ST app using the code provided by @hajar , are any changes applied specific to the module in question or are they pervasive across all dimmers using the custom script. My question is therefore if I am using Hajar’s code for several dimmers and some of them will need different parameters (eg with or without bypass for parameter 13), do I need different device handlers for each permutation or can I change individual modules via the app?

2. I also have 5 Fibaro relays to control circuits where I only need on/off capability - @John_Crighton has suggested to just use the standard ST zwave multifunctional device handler which is fine but i have a question on how I can change the parameters on the relay. For example, I need to change parameter 14 from the default so it works with retractive switches. Any ideas as I don’t have the luxury of Hajar’s script this time!

3. I am seeing some interesting behaviour on controlling some circuits at the physical switch. The calibration works fine and I see a green light on the dimmer indicating that a dimmable load has been detected. I have retractive switches and on/off works all the time perfectly at the switch but dimming only works intermittently now and again when I hold down the retractive button. Sometimes, I can see the lights attempting to dim but then just turining off but other times they simply operate as an on/off switch despite me holding down the retractive switch button (which is meant to dim). I suppose i could tinker with parameters 1 and 2 for dimming bounds but just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar before.

Many thanks - I really cannot tell you how informative this forum is for people trying to get on the automation ladder with Fibaro - they should really be sponsoring this thread as it is more valuable than any fibaro forum!

Just to add more context for question #3, I am using dimmable LED lights with loads varying from 35W - 49W depending on the circuit in question.

Once I get a bit more hands on experience, I hope to contribute and help others too. For now, I am hoping someone can help me!

1. The parameters apply to that individual module, so only one device type needed.

2. Never use the standard device type! Its possible to use it, but it doesn’t work that well. Always use Hajar’s, then you can use the parameter screen to set them as you need (including no dimming)

3. I have similar switches and have never seen this. Is it a particular type of bulb? Edit, saw your next post - it’s possible that the bulbs might be a factor here. Have you tried it with other bulbs? What make are they?

John in your response to #2 above, does Hajar’s code work with Fibaro Relays (FGS211)? If so, that is fine but I thought your recommendation in post #297 was to use the standard device type.

If Hajar’s code is only compatible with Fibaro 2 dimmers (212) How would I change the parameters of an on/off relay in ST?

Oops, sorry, yes for relays use the standard handler. No custom one has been written.

I think you would need a custom device handler to make it work with retractive switches unfortunately
 This may be a bit of a mission.

I would suggest taking a browse through the forum to see if anyone with programming experience has one of these modules, and ask if they have any ideas.

Edit to add: this may help
 Fibaro 2x 1.5kW and momentry switches

can anyone link me to @hajar’s latest device type code for the dimmer, mine are on a really old code that i have to program myself in smart things dev enviroment, id like to the able to adjust them from the app where possible. but i can spot it in the above topic?

1 Like

I am trying to wire up an FGD 212 for the lights of my garage.
It has 2 switches to turn the lights on at either end of my garage.
For the life of me I cannot get it to work.
I can get it to work through the app to turn it on/off with the switches disconnected. As soon as I connect the switches it starts behaving strangely. Either permanently turning on the lights or permanently turning them off.
I just cannot seem to get it to work when I connect up the switches to it.
I am connecting the dimmer at the lights where all the wires for live, neutral and the switches appear.
Any ideas anybody on exactly how this should be wired up. Specifically the S1, S2, Sx connections.
However I do it just doesn’t work.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply.
I am already using the Fibaro Dimmer 2 UK code so I don’t think it’s that causing the problem.
But who knows

Have you looked at this?

http://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-2#.V9WxPmX6S3A

1 Like

I’ve been searching everywhere but didn’t find this.
Brilliant just what I need and also gives the parameters that need to be set. I was so close it was probably the parameter change that screwed me originally and then I went off at a tangent.
Thanks again.

EDIT. Looking at this it was DEFINATELY parameter 26 that screwed me originally. (Mind you there was a lot of guess work with the wiring and I think I just lucked in to be honest).

2 Likes

Not a problem. Vesternet are genius with their guides. They’ve helped me out numerous times. I’m not sure how it affects their sales but it I’d hope it has a positive effect for their efforts!

2 Likes

Hi all, I’ve taken delivery of my first Fibaro Dimmer 2 and bypass unit today and am about to go out and buy some bulbs to trial with it. Can anyone recommend the best GU10 Dimmable (50W halogen equiv.) LED bulbs to use in the UK? The circuits in my final design will have 2-14 bulbs each.

My short list so far:

What would you use? Perhaps someone knows of some good bulk deals?

Thanks in advance.