Fibaro 2 Dimmer (212 not 211)

Thanks @anon36505037 The handler I am using is this one: https://github.com/hajar97/FibaroDimmers/blob/master/devicetypes/fibarodimmer2.groovy

I tried this first: https://github.com/codersaur/SmartThings/blob/master/devices/fibaro-dimmer-2/fibaro-dimmer-2.groovy

But the codersaur one just doesn’t seem to work. It just doesnt seem to control the lights.

Another quick question. I’ve installed a 212 Dimmer in the kitchen which has 4x MR16 GU5.3 bulbs.and currently has 4x clear glass halogen 28W bulbs in there. I’m using it on non-dimmable mode as I do not need the kitchen to be dimmable. I am thinking to replace the bulbs with 4 of these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/led-mr16-8w-4000k-36d-15kh-pack1/4140k

These are energy efficient and with 8W it gives an equivalant to 50W. However, 8W x 4 bulbs only equals 32W. Does that mean the dimmer will not work on 2 wire method? I read somewhere that the dimmer needs 50W minimum to work on 2 wire method. Not really a problem as the kitchen light switch has access to the neutral so I can just put a neutral in there.

Thanks @anon36505037 I will try the handler by @zcapr17 again, I just installed it didn’t make any parameter changes. Do I need to do same thing about setting params on IDE?

It’s working now. So I will switch to this handler. Params look similar to the other one. I think what I was doing wrong is not setting the params correctly in the beginning.

There is a param called: Force Nightmode, i’m assuming best to turn that on right? I don’t want to set a nightmode start and stop time, is it ok to leave these two params blank? If I want night mode I will select it. Is there a way to activate nightmode with a retractive switch x amount of presses?

Thanks @anon36505037 what is the Local Protecton parameter and the RF Protection param?

Awesome, Thanks @anon36505037 Ive now switched over to the handler by @zcapr17 All working nicely. I am now able to get the minimum and maximum value for param 1 and 2 using live logging unlike the previous handler.

I have however noticed a problem. With the previous handler i was able to say Alexa set bedroom to 20% or set bedroom lights to 20% but now when I say that It does actually carry out the command but Alexa responds saying I don’t know what went wrong or something along those lines. But it actually performs the task but just doesnt say OK as it usually does. Any idea what is wrong?

oh dear, but if I switch back to this handler: https://github.com/hajar97/FibaroDimmers/blob/master/devicetypes/fibarodimmer2.groovy then Alexa seems to work. Maybe worth me removing the devices from Alexa and rediscovering it?

Got it working now. It seems it was because I changed the device handler in the IDE. Somehow when Alexa discovered the device with the previous handler it has some sort of settings. So I had to forget the devices under the Smart Home devices in Alexa. I then said discover my devices and it found them again. This time with the new handler. And now the commands seem to work.

1 Like

Just now my kitchen lights started turning off and on when I turned them on. I looked in the ST app and the fault circle was orange and said voltage fault. How do I view the error and what is wrong? Was ok up until now. This has just started happening. Is the param 2 maybe too high? I took param 2 value from the auto calibration.

OK thanks, I will try that. I remember when I was manually determining the cut-off point on the same circuit with the previous handler I ended up setting it to 60 because i think at 72 it was cutting off. But for some reason the auto calibration set param 2 to 70 so hence thats what I set it to. Now i’ve set it to 65. Will see how that goes.

@anon36505037 I just purchased a momentary switch from screwfix to replace the toggle switch. Once I swap it out, I simply change param 20 to 0 right? what is the default way of operating the momentary switch?

Please have you a real working handler you use for Fibaro 212, because I’ve tried two different device handlers, and none of them are real not woking, but I have only a virtual switch, but the lamp never burns. My kit: Fibaro dimmer 2 + lamp 17W + Smartthings Hub 2 + device handler from the beginning of the forum.

Hi,

I have a fibaro dimmer that I’m connecting to a spot light. It Was working fine using the 2.02 DTH. Recently It just stopped working. It says sync pending and its stuck on turning off but never changes status from ON. The light work properly when switched from the physical wall switch but doesn’t reflect status in app

I tried a soft reset, I tried zwave repair and i even tried to exclude the device but it wouldn’t. All didn’t work.

I also tried to change the device handler to a standard zwave dimmer but still nothing

The strange thing is that it reports power correctly so it’s communicating with the hub. But it wouldn’t change state or dim except from the physical switch

Plz help !

Fab

Maybe try a force sync of all settings. Note it could take a few tries to do the full sync. Next option is an exclude and reset in case it got corrupted.

Thanks Simon for your reply.
Force syncing gives me sync pending and it never changes. Tried to exclude the device from the hub but it won’t.

Many Thanks Robin for your detailed answer
Before I get I to the process of exclusion, I’m sharing the below in case it helps the debugging thinking:

I have another fibaro dual relay that I included and it was successfully detected by smartthings. I installed the unit on 2 toggle switches and tried using it. I’m using the FGS222 double relay DTH.

Again, same thing happened. While the switches work good on the physical switches and the fibaro relay ticks properly , I cannot it control it nor configure it through the hub. Plz note I have lots of other Aeotec switches that work perfectly right. I’m wondering if this has anything to do because both these units are fibaro and I have the v1.0 smartthings hub

Sorry for the ling email and for bringing in another case with a different DTH on this thread, but checking if this can help the debugging in case I’m doing something wrong or so

Best,
Fab

Hi Robin,

Circling back on this. Finally got it to work. I managed to exclude and include again and it worked.
The issue with exclusion was all about the pace of turning the switch 3 times.

Many thanks for your great help

Fab

Just reading this thread, I can’t see what you are referring to here @anon36505037 with 0fc? Is there some code i should be changing ? Only ask cos I have 45+ dimmers dead in the water right now.

Thanks

did i do the upgrade wrong when i added the new device handler? All the settings are incorrect, so they have changed back to push button operation instead of toggle and so on. any idea what i did wrong when upgrading the code? i fixed one by entering all the settings into smart things one by one again which was a bit of a pain.

@anon36505037, ive just logged into the smartthings Web console, i thought i would manually update the preferences for the two dimmers i have that are not working to match the one that I went through on the phone app to update. the problem is the parameters are all jumbled up on the web console and they dont appear to match across the three devices, for instance param2 on device 1 was “1” on device 2 was “3400” and on three was “false” and if you look down the page in order they dont appear to match either.

should i be matching param1 on all devices or shoudl i be matching the order they appear on the page?

OK, hello everyone… I am a complete newbie in the world of home automation so heads up: I will require some patience and handholding, but I’m 100% willing and wanting to learn!

I am having all kinds of issues with my Fibaro Dimmer 2 module. Followed all instructions on the SmartThings Support Page - Connect/Reset/Remove and first successfully paired it previously with my SmartThings hub; however, the module was not dimming my bulbs. It also did not dim through the Varilight 2-way momentary switch that it is connected to.

So I reset, recalibrated, excluded, and paired it again (though as Fab said, it’s hard to find the right pace of hitting the B-button 3 times to trigger the pairing or exclusion). I launched a Live Chat with an ST Support officer and he seemed to think that maybe it was because it had auto set itself up as a “Multichannel Device”? It has since changed to “Secure Dimmer” upon multiple exclusions/re-connections, but now things are even worse: the app does not show the correct state (i.e. always “ON” even when off; lagging status saying “TURNINGOFF” or “TURNINGON” even when action is completed, and then defaulting back to showing “ON”). Dimming also does not work in the app.

ST Support was stumped and recommended this forum (especially Robin, who I understand is the resident genius in such matters). He started talking about new DTH in the IDE, which are all new acronyms to me! So has anyone else come across these problems, and how can I fix it? I would be most grateful if someone could literally break it down step-by-step so I can follow - a Fibaro 212 for Dummies, if you like, please?