Fibaro 2 Dimmer (212 not 211)

Hi David thanks for all your hard work i have just managed to get your device manager to work with android total nightmare but now i cant see the device in the ide

and i get this message

Hi, I’m finding this discussion very interesting as I have just bought and installed two fibaro FGD-212’s into my kitchen lighting. I have installed some code I got on this site to control them as the stock ST code doesn’t seem to work. But the only issue I have is that Alexa doesn’t seem to be able to control them. They show as (offline) in the Alexa app. If I add a known working wall socket switch to the group it comes on and off so I know the grouping is right but the lights won’t work? Any suggestions out there as I’m quite new to all of this smartness!

Same here. Tried multiple times to install and link without success. I don’t have a pc only the mobile app so adding code doesn’t look like an option. I’ll wait until it’s officially added to uk devices to try again.

Hi
new to smartthings but I too have installed a fibaro dimmer 2. I was able to get smartthings to add it Burt have no control remotely with the app just with the switch only. From what I can tell I have add code (I think) but no clue whatsoever where to start. Are there any guides how to do this from scratch for a total beginner
Many thanks Neil

Hi Guys,
I am new here… but I want to use Fibaro Dimmer 2, and I have already done with the part of device handler and getting myapps in market place in iOS app. Now… How can I pair Fibaro Dimmer 2…??
–Jeet

I dont understand step 1 here…how to pair fibaro dimmer 2 with smartthings hub??
Regards
Jeet

You put the hub into pairing mode by navigating to the phone app --> things --> add new thing and then do the same on your dimmer by pressing the B button 3 times or pressing the switch 3 times (or 6 if you have a toggle switch). I always had to use the B button as pressing the switch didn’t work for me.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, but I tried it several times but it is not working…
Fibaro dimmer need to be in some specific mode, before I 3 times…??
–Jeet

Actually, now that I think about it, I had to press the B button on the dimmer about 9-12 times in quick succession before it would pair with the ST. As long as your dimmer does not have the red LED illuminated, you should be good to go! Make sure your hub is already in pairing mode before pressing the button on the dimmer though.

Hi

I want to install the Fibaro Dimmer in a 2 way switch, i’ve had a look at the upstairs switch which only has one switch on the front and the wires are all red (old uk wiring) I cant find a diagram for all red wires, will I still be able to use the Fibaro in this switch?

Thanks

depends how you want to control them. Problem you have is the pic shown is I suspect the 2 strapers from downstairs switch and the supply to the light fitting. Down stairs you have the supply to the switch common and possibly a neutral

o--------------------------------o             
L ---------o                                                o-------- LAMP ------- N
                    o--------------------------------o

So, how do you maintain a supply to the fab unit upstairs when someone switches the switch downstairs, only way is to put the 2 strappers into the L on the dimmer upstaires but you loose the 2 way function and the downstairs switch becomes useless to control the light… sorry if this makes no sense, quite hard to explain in text

From what I can see in your picture you do not have a neutral.
You need a neutral for a Fibaro Dimmer.

You don’t need a neutral actually, on the Dimmer you put a link from N to Sx also known as “2 wire” installation in the dimmer manual

Ah ha. I stand corrected. I thought all the Fibaro Dimmers needed a neutral.

They stand out as being one of the few devices that DONT need a neutral.

Hmm. I will have to get out my ladder and check mine. I thought it was a 212 and i definitely needed a neutral to get it to work. Suppose it couldn’t be.

EDIT:
Ah. I was looking at this in the diagram.

Didn’t read on to this. IDIOT.
I’m assuming this is how you are connecting it.

Ok folks. I need some clarification now.
My dimmer is labelled as follows.
Fibar Group Dimmer FGD212 EU v3.3.
In the manual that came with it there is no mention of the second option that I have shown above, hence me thinking you needed a neutral.
This leaves me with a couple of questions.
Does the one I have need a neutral?
In the 2nd option above it looks like you just connect it across the light switch. Is this correct?
I tried it and it does not power up.
When I search for the Fgd212 manual it shows the optons as per my post above.
Any guidance/clarification much appreciated.

Ok. Found another manual which shows a video how to install without neutral wire.

1 Like

You have the same unit version as me, It can be wired as you pictured above from the old manual, although the manual supplied with mine did have the 2 wire installation instruction. I’ve done it myself and works without problem :slight_smile:

Hi @dannix.
Sorry to be a pain here but are you saying you have connected it as per this diagram?