Feature request: Event lockout

My apologies if there is another way to do this, but I couldn’t find any info about this anywhere.

It would be nice to have a “lock out” feature on an outlet/switch to prevent it from being turned on or off until it’s manually unlocked (in the app).

The idea is this: I have a server connected to an Aeon Labs DSC06106. I like having the power monitoring and the ability to “flip the switch” remotely if something happens (server stops responding, for example). The issue is that it’s extremely easy to press the icon in the ST app and turn off the server by accident. It would be nice that on the “settings” page for the DSC06106, there is a “lock” option to prevent random on/off switches.

I haven’t looked closely at the SmartThings Apps. I’m a developer by trade, and use triggers all the time in SQL. Maybe there could be something like a pre-event trigger App that runs before the light/switch changes states?

Thanks for the AWESOME products! So much better than the TCP Connected app I was used to!

-Michael

2 Likes

I like the idea! Or have to put in some sort of pin code on certain devices.

In the short term you could have a custom device type where the main tile didn’t do anything, but to turn it off you have to go into the detail tile.

That was what I did with my server. I just made the the switch and the power meter both selectable. In the tiles I just see the watts it is using, For a server a pin probably would not be a good idea if you wanted it to power back up after a power outage.

1 Like