Far too intrusive, back to the store!

Ultimately it is a choice to use these products. I knowingly choose to use these devices and understand that the manufacturer and others are making money off of the personal data I generate.

Choice is the key word here. I lean strongly in favor of individual privacy rights and data privacy protection and I would not judge someone who is put off by the intrusive nature of these products. Those with flippant attitudes regarding protection of one’s data is far more troublesome to me than someone who has concerns regarding these products.

1 Like

I agree, choice is a wonderful thing. But, if a person is that incredibly concerned about their privacy, would it not be prudent to do just a little bit of research before running out and buying it?

The attitude of most of the posts in this thread is because, as you can imagine, this is not the first time this has been posted. It goes hand in hand with the “I’m suing smart things because my lights won’t turn off” posts… I really love those.

I’m not flippant about my privacy or about security. I just have an awareness of what I’m doing, what I’m doing it with, and where I’m at doing it. I also know what, via my experience and research, of what is going on with my technology.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s a question of having a flippant attitude about data privacy. I think it’s more an issue of pointing out that, “I don’t trust corporations with my contacts or to track my location at all times” is a rather odd objection regarding an app that you’re installing on your Android phone. It’s a bit like ordering the TX-sized chicken fried steak platter and then complaining that the gravy on it isn’t low-calorie and vegan-friendly.

4 Likes

I don’t sense any fanboy-ism here. The OP, who probably already had returned the system just chose to pigeon the community, flying by with no real intent to participate.

And for the record, I don’t thing it’s unreasonable nor a bad thing to expect that ST might be data mining my use of their cloud system. I don’t pay anything for service and don’t expect my one time purchases of devices to sustain the company. I’m no SmartThings fanboy, my post history will prove that.

You have to agree that someone as privacy sensitive as the OP is, you would think he would have done research before buying.

3 Likes

On behalf of the smartthings community? Since when did you represent the entire smartthings community?

10 Likes

Last week at the ST community meeting, we took a vote, you must have missed it. Sorry.

Well played sir. Nice product drop. lmao

2 Likes

what is this pay phone thing you speak about?

3 Likes

Also, he put a lot of his personal info on linkedin for the world to see. So for him to be worried about an app asking for for access to his contacts, which lots of apps do, is kind of strange.

2 Likes

That’s it, I gotta get me one of these:

Very secure, you’ve never seen such secure, by the way, it works with Twitter too :wink: (any resemblence to real people is really just a coincidence, fake news, as I like to call it)

9 Likes
3 Likes

He’s calling to complain about this:

2 Likes

I think there’s two key points that need to be noted here. One: failing to fully research a product before buying it often results in disappointment. Second: I don’t think it should be assumed that because an app requires certain permissions, the company that produces the app has nefarious plans with the use of such acquired data. Honestly I think most companies find usage metrics and behaviour patterns far more valuable than who you know or where you are.

2 Likes

What’s amusing is that this guy bought smartthings, got annoyed with it, had a rant at a smartthings community forum and stirred up a lot of conversations on the topic. The OP in all probability doesn’t give a hoot because he’s returned the box and probably will never even look at this forum again…

2 Likes

You Guys!!! OMG I absolutely LOVE this community! Get a free laugh daily. Sometimes many!! :joy:

4 Likes

What’s going on in here?

We’re discussing about which security system is less obtrusive. I personally vote for my favorite red phone above. We also seem to be talking about contacts being stolen by corporations, but we’re not seeing the elephant in the room in the shape of Apple or Samsung. They either don’t seem to have access to our contacts, or we’re okay with that. But SmartThings having access to our contacts is a big deal. So we’re debating on the moral side of things, like, should BatMan be allowed to even have a phone? Can it be a Samsung? Or should he get that mandatory BlueBerry? (he he, did I really say blueberry? :D) Or maybe a Telecore IST-2 or the fancier Cisco 7975 IP phone (the russian model though). I personally believe BatMan should only have a darn flashlight and some matches for smoke. Hope I successfully summarized everything?! Mwahahahaa

6 Likes

You forgot the popcorn

4 Likes

Naw I deedn’t (mouth full, chewing popcorn)

2 Likes

1 Like